The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSK31 - IC-756ProII filter setup  (Read 1859 times)
K3MQ

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2005, 09:50:06 AM »

I have a ProII and just love using PSK31. Someone recently told me I should optimize my rig's filters for the mode. They also said I should set my center freq to 1500, not the default 1300. I do not see anything in the Icom manual abt PSK filter setup. Could someone please tell me the optimal setup for the filters? I've seen where people suggest a 50 hz pass or to select the CW filter while in USB. Also, when you select a filter, is this to benefit just the single freq you are qsoing on, or all psk signals in the band? I'm new to PSK and just learning to use the ProII. TNX.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 07:48:47 AM »

A narrow filter will prevent signals outside the filter passband from being processed by the receiver. Your waterfall will show a narrow strip of signals down the center, the width of the filter. A 50Hz filter is great for keeping the receiver gain from being affected by strong signals, especially Pactor signals that would otherwise "pump" the AGC and receiver gain.

You generally want to change the filter center frequency to 1500Hz so that it will be in the center of the waterfall. There is a setting in the custom filter setup that will do this.

I use MixW2 and have it connected to the CI-V. I have a narrow macro that will automatically select a 50Hz filter on the rig and tune it so that the signal I have selected in the waterfall will be centered at 1500Hz in the middle of the 50Hz filter. A wide macro puts everything back so that I have signals in the entire waterfall. Many times I can switch between narrow and wide without even missing a character in the received text.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: