The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Boat Anchor Market as I See it.  (Read 26526 times)
KB4QAA

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2013, 11:00:24 AM »

The Boat Anchor market as I see it:
-Non-technical guys:  Looking for a decent radio in working condition at a moderate price.   They want somebody else to have already repaired and cleaned things up.  Are not particular about original finish, new parts or minor mods.

-Technicians and Historical guys:  Looking for mostly unmolested radios that can be restored to near original operating condition.  Would rather have a dirty grimy radio with original dust,  original finish and parts than have an ignorant seller damage things by cleaning with wrong methods and solutions.  Don't do any cleaning beyond dusting the case with a soft dry cloth.

-Experimenters and Hi-Fi guys:  Looking for radios with main components esp. transformers, variable caps, coils, dials, they can tinker with.  Cosmetics and operating condition are secondary.

-Nostalgists, Purists, Collectors:  Looking for particular radios in particular condition and will pay top dollar for "exactly" what they want.  Unpredictable and uncommon.  Don't do anything to the radio beyond dusting with a soft, dry cloth.

The best way to gauge the market:  Check  Ebay sales and completed sales, eHam, QRZed, QTH. 

Warning: Boat Anchor aficionados  are a romantic and friendly bunch.  They don't care for flippers who are out to make a fast buck or who shade the truth about radio condition and who don't at least appreciate the radios and past eras.

Warning #2:  Don't plug any radio into the wall and turn it on unless it has previously been demonstrated to you in working condition. Doing so with unrestored radios can destroy expensive and difficult/impossible to find components like transformers, coils and tubes! 

[split from other topic, bill]

KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA Relocated to Ks. April 2019.
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 12:19:28 PM »

Trying to fit myself into any of these categories and failed.

What I do is buy junk-condition BAs (mainly test equipment) at low prices. I favor ones that were originally kits, or at least, available in kit version. Often I will buy two of the same model, to make sure that I have one "complete" set. Then, I dismantle them almost completely -- and clean up the "unique" parts (the cabinet, dials, chassis, check out the transformers and so forth) and repaint what needs to be repainted. I make sure to obtain a mint copy of the original construction manual and schematic -- I'm particular about using the original manual and not a download from the Internet. Then I rebuild the entire thing from scratch. Occasionally I will "leave something alone" because dismantling it is asking for trouble (rotary switch assemblies are an obvious candidate; tuned circuit front ends another).

My final aim is to *use* the equipment for its intended purpose. I've started modestly, with a Heathkit VOM, an Eico VTVM, and an Eico signal generator, all of whom are now in as-new condition. I have a couple of broken Eico oscilloscopes that I will be dismantling in order to construct a "composite" working one.

I have a BC-453 that was in poor condition and is in the process of being cleaned and modified; it will be connected to a homebrew, crystal-controlled ham bands converter.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 01:07:58 PM »

Troubles with Boat Anchors:

1. You've bought it at a reasonable price. You've restored it, it works, now do you have a use for it other than very occasionally?

2. Having got that far, do you really want to let it go, even at 250% profit?

I do have a load of boat anchor era test gear, and that works and, when I get time, gets used. But collecting boat anchors can be addictive.....
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 03:21:09 PM »

KB1WSY,
I think you clearly fall into my "Technicians and Historical Guys" group!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:30:49 PM by KB4QAA » Logged

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 03:26:53 PM »

Troubles with Boat Anchors:

1. You've bought it at a reasonable price. You've restored it, it works, now do you have a use for it other than very occasionally?

2. Having got that far, do you really want to let it go, even at 250% profit?

I do have a load of boat anchor era test gear, and that works and, when I get time, gets used. But collecting boat anchors can be addictive.....
Ahem, well yes.  This will be addressed in a future article "Pathologies of Boat Anchor Aficionados".

This leads to the question "Who has a Boat Anchor collecting problem?" a question not unlike "Who has a drinking problem?"  The answer is "Someone who drinks more than you do".    

Therefore based on my own experience anyone who has fewer than 31 Boat Anchors does not have a collecting problem!  Smiley  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:29:31 PM by KB4QAA » Logged

HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »

You forgot to mention the hardcore HF DXer who wants to use the boatanchor for its intended purpose, which is exactly what I bought my SX-88 for way back in 1988, long before I had a clue about its significance. I didn't learn of all that until I got a computer in 2007 and started researching.
I use mine at least 3 times a week because it makes MW DXing and utilities FUN! They are a blast to run and I bet a ton of boatanchor guys out there agree Smiley

Not a ham, but an avid hobbyist in HF world. All things, short of transmit happen in this shack.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 04:10:18 PM »

You forgot to mention the hardcore HF DXer who wants to use the boatanchor for its intended purpose, which is exactly what I bought my SX-88 for way back in 1988, long before I had a clue about its significance. I didn't learn of all that until I got a computer in 2007 and started researching.
I use mine at least 3 times a week because it makes MW DXing and utilities FUN! They are a blast to run and I bet a ton of boatanchor guys out there agree Smiley

Not everyone agrees
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 04:19:48 PM »

You LOVE that pic don't ya? Cheesy

Not a ham, but an avid hobbyist in HF world. All things, short of transmit happen in this shack.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 05:07:42 PM »

I'll give $2.00 for the rake.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 05:18:31 PM »

I'll give $2.00 for the rake.

lame. I get ya. I wasn't expecting mean-spirited crap like this, but I should have.

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 05:30:17 PM »

"Dozens of aficionados are holding their chests in pain and gasping for breath..."

HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 05:32:48 PM »

"Dozens of aficionados are holding their chests in pain and gasping for breath..."
meaning what?

HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 05:36:38 PM »

ok let me put a direct question to you that should get a direct answer:
tell me what I said in my first post here that should elicit negative responses like these? I'm trying to understand where this is coming from.

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »

ok let me put a direct question to you that should get a direct answer:
tell me what I said in my first post here that should elicit negative responses like these? I'm trying to understand where this is coming from.
Umm, where did you get the idea ANYONE is making negative replies?

I see a lighthearted thread, where everyone is laughing and contributing!  

Your phraseology about using "HF DXing" has left me scratching my head until I realized you were referring to SWL, shortwave listening (where I started out with a Halli S-38D hand-me-down on the floor during a Kansas winter).

Cheers, bill

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 06:12:14 PM »

explaining the joke.....

Imagine all the hams out there dreaming of owning the rare SX-88 and having heart attacks when they see one being left out for the garbagemen!

The Henny Youngman version:

"Take my SX-88.  Please, take it!"

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: