The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Boat Anchor Market as I See it.  (Read 26641 times)
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »

No I don't consider the FT-102, or TS-520/530 as BA's.  They are transistorized Hybrids.   [EDIT:  My second rig was a used TS-530, and I still have it.  I carried it around the world on my navy patrol deployments.]

The tube finals have technical and operating aspects in common with earlier BA's.  This results in Hybrid owners having something in common with BA owners and so they frequent the forums as the best source for advice.

Category?  None, it doesn't matter.  Owners of Hybrids and older Solid State rigs can be just as devoted to them, and just as interested in their preservation and operation.  

I see no reason for any friction between any groups that preserve our history, traditions and knowledge!  bill
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 11:20:53 AM by KB4QAA » Logged

KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA Relocated to Ks. April 2019.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 01:54:16 PM »

Bill,

I posted this earlier in Elmers:

>Look at transmitter IMD performance. Since the last generation of tube PA rigs, the high order IMD has shot up. For my presentation to the RSGB Convention  (entitled "Spreading the Sewage")this year, I analysed 123 product reviews going way back.

Average 3rd order IMD 1973 - 83  tube rig -36dB, post 2000 SS -30dB
Average 5th order IMD 1973 - 83  tube rig -44dB, Post 2000 SS -41dB
Average 7th order IMD 1973 - 83  tube rig -58dB, Post 2000 SS -47dB
Average 9th order IMD 1973 - 83  tube rig >-66dB, Post 2000 SS -52dB<

Now there's an advantage for the rest of the world in using a boatanchor!

N9WW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 06:54:57 PM »

No I don't consider the FT-102, or TS-520/530 as BA's.  They are transistorized Hybrids.   [EDIT:  My second rig was a used TS-530, and I still have it.  I carried it around the world on my navy patrol deployments.]

The tube finals have technical and operating aspects in common with earlier BA's.  This results in Hybrid owners having something in common with BA owners and so they frequent the forums as the best source for advice.

Category?  None, it doesn't matter.  Owners of Hybrids and older Solid State rigs can be just as devoted to them, and just as interested in their preservation and operation.  

I see no reason for any friction between any groups that preserve our history, traditions and knowledge!  bill

So a Hallicrafters FPM-300 isn't a BA then...;-)
Jim N9WW
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 07:52:40 PM »

We haven't discussed weight, but the FPM-300 weighs only 25 lbs per the manual.

N9WW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 08:25:31 PM »

We haven't discussed weight, but the FPM-300 weighs only 25 lbs per the manual.

Yes, exactly.  But the question remains, when do we start calling the IC-7800, TS-990, FT-5000/9000 boat anchors.  Which they are.  My definition of a boat anchor is a heavy rig.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 08:27:18 PM »

Heavy yes.  But when they get old they will be "Paperweights or Doorstops" not operating old radios. Smiley

N9WW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 08:30:53 PM »

Heavy yes.  But when they get old they will be "Paperweights or Doorstops" not operating old radios. Smiley

Agreed...
Jim N9WW
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 12:16:05 AM »

I guess that all of us BA aficionados recognise the importance of getting a stock of spare tubes while we can especially PA tubes- although my FT102 has two of the original, as supplied, PA tubes and it's done some hard work over the years.

With a modern SS rig, if you're going to keep it, I feel you should do the same with PA transistors and maybe some of the ICs. Try getting some of the RF power transistors of 20 years ago, especially since many of the companies around then have been taken over/merged/closed as well dropping lines.

In many ways, it's probably easier get the parts to keep a 1938 HRO going to day than some more modern SS rigs.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 03:47:22 AM »

Re: G3RZP

Right on the mark. Replacing 2 filter caps and 1 resistor with on hand saved/scavenged parts on my Johnson Adventurer canoe anchor was easier and about ten times quicker than ordering and replacing a faulty phone jack in my IC-7200 rice box. Don't think the ICOM or myself will be operating or repairable 50 years from now.
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 05:07:37 AM »

... or myself will be operating or repairable 50 years from now.

Just make sure to stock up on oscillator tubes for the heart, filter capacitors for the liver, and resistors for the blood pressure. You'll be good for another 50 years as long as you have enough spares.
KD5TXX

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 06:40:25 AM »

I decided I needed a transmitter since I had a receiver.  That's what got me in.  I have no Elmer and THAT proved to be a pain.  I couldn't figure out why my speaker squealed like a pig every time I keyed up.  Took me months to figure out the mute switch and wiring it through the Dow key.  That would have taken all of 5 min with a local Elmer.  I did learn how to spot a busted doorknob capacitor by the smoke trail all on my own.  I still have a long way to go but I do enjoy the feeling when I figure out how to make something work.

My category consists of a person who owns a ton of BA and hopes to someday get them working...but for the moment they help my shack from blowing away in a strong wind.
W8RXL

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2013, 04:31:01 PM »

My category consists of a person who owns a ton of BA and hopes to someday get them working...but for the moment they help my shack from blowing away in a strong wind.

That's me right now. I have been collecting for a long long time, when it wasn't fashionable to have tubes.

By the way, about the picture it brings back a memory of finding a real prize in the trash. When I was young I have pulled a lot of radios from the trash, and my second SX-88 was found that way. When I collected it, the new owner of the house also gave me the matching HT-20, the boxes they all came in and a bunch of accessories. Everything worked great, used the 88 for a bunch of years and got rid of the set 12 years ago.
QRP4U2

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 03:57:23 PM »

A true BoatAnchor enthusiast is one who works out with weights for the sole purpose of moving the BoatAnchor from the shelf to the bench!

Phil - AC0OB

AC0OB - A Place Where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Besides, when you're a Ham, you experiment with and improve boat anchors - that's what you do!. Smiley
K6TOP

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »

The SX-88 in the "trash" is a set up and staged  photo, of course. No BAs were harmed.

G4FUT

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2013, 10:37:25 AM »

I'd like to add a supplement to the "Preppers". Namely those who are new to Amateur Radio but don't have the money to buy a "rice box". They see a rig on fleabay for less than $500 (£300 in Her majesty's currency  Smiley ) and think "That'll get me on the air." Only when they get it home they blow it up, because its so old there was no manual with it, or worse still,......as they would most likely come from a CB background they assume all needles must be full scale deflection to get MAx Power out.
I have personally within the last 12 months bought two blown rugs from the above "preppers", for less than $100 each, and now am spending valuable drinking time mending them. Wink

Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: