The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RTTY on the Argonaut 505  (Read 1848 times)
KB2HSH

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2004, 04:23:27 PM »

I have written before about digital modes on the Argonaut 505.  I have succesfully used it on Hellschreiber, PSK-31, PSK-63, MFSK16, MFSK8, and of course...CW.  But, this evening I was pleasantly surprised to find that even with the 505's drift and somewhat instabilty in the NARROW bandwidth modes, the 505 is GREAT with RTTY.  I have worked 20 states with 3 watts during the TARA RTTY Melee...and the rig stayed put fairly well.  I just wanted to share that info with anyone that might be contemplating using this classic on the digi-modes.

John
KB2HSH
KD5WZB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 08:27:53 AM »

I have a Ten Tec Scout 555, which I have recently tried to get into the Digital Modes. I have found that on the narrow modes like PSK-31, the drift on this rig is too bad. I then tried it with RTTY and no doubt it drifts just as much, RTTY can handle the drift (and the subsequent shift as the processor corrects the PTO's drift). So the SCOUT can do RTTY. Myself, I am wondering just what other modes it can do? I have found myself addicted to the digital modes.

KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 02:47:57 PM »

Addiction?  I have to agree.  Since I have dabbled in the digital modes, I haven't touched my microphone OR my Vibroplex.  It truly is amazing. I tend to have more fun with my 233 MHz Compaq Armada laptop and my Argonaut than with anything else.  Of course, I'll take a GOOD band opening on 10 or 15 SSB ANY day, but for my everyday operating, I tend to migrate more towards digi-modes.

As far as the drift on the Scout, I'm happy you said that.  Well...not happy that your Ten-Tec is drifty, but rather it backs up what I have read about the Scout/Argo 556 many times.  Whatever the case may be, my Argo 505 was/is my "Novice Dream Rig".  RTTY works well on it (I just finished the 2005 RTTY Roundup with great results), as does Hellschreiber.  PSK-31 is a bit tough, but OK.  MFSK16 is almost out of the question due to the tightness required in the tuning.

All in all, for a 34 year old radio that was NEVER intended for Digital Service, it does pretty well.  I love it.

John
KB2HSH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: