The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APCO Project 25 On Amateur?  (Read 2240 times)
N7JCT

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2004, 08:28:17 PM »

At work I'm in the process of converting my system to Project 25 digital (conventional, not trunked).  The benefit to this is that I've got a nice stock of radios to play with (M/A-Com P7100 and M7100).  I noticed that the VHF radios will work in the ham bands, the UHF ones might as well.

So I'm wondering....can I legally play with P25 on amateur frequencies?  If so is there anything special that I have to do (like identify in analog)?

Is anyone else playing with this sort of thing?
K8JDC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 06:21:27 PM »

I'm a little familiar with APCO 25, but I can't answer your question.  Looking at the Digital forum activity here, it seems pretty dead.  You might want to post this in the Elmers forum area.  It's very active.

JDC
KD4AC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 01:08:06 PM »

Can you even GET MA/COM radios to do P25 audio?  I don't know of any MA/COM radios that are p25 compliant.  MA/COM insists on using their "Pro Voice" for their radios.  That's one reason I don't like them.
N7JCT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 05:26:26 PM »

The P7100 portables and M7100 mobiles do P25.  The confusion might be because those radios can also do ProVoice and EDACS depending on how they are flashed.  But no, you're not limited to ProVoice.  You can also order them conventional analog only and then flash them at a later date to upgrade to whatever digital and/or trunked format you want.

Their MASTR III is also capable of P25 digital.

I've got a whole fleet of these including enough extras to play on the ham bands...if that's allowable.
KB9JOZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 09:58:06 AM »

I believe there is an APCO 25 repeater on the air on 2 meters in Chicago or Milwaukee??  I don't see why it wouldn't be legal...it's a public standard.  If Alinco and Icom can sell radios with digital modulation for two meters, Project 25 should be fine.  

Andy
K6CCC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 12:00:19 PM »

Just found this discussion.  Thought I would pass along that as of the middle of December 04, my 440 repeater in the Los Angeles area is operating mixed mode.  The repeater is a Motorola Quantar and so far, we have had people using it with Motorola XTS-3000 and Astro Saber handhelds.  Web site for the repeater at:

http://www.k6ccc.org/k6ccc-r.html

Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
Ofc:  818-548-4804
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: