The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to get paid when selling on eHam  (Read 31125 times)
W2ECK

Ignore
« on: December 10, 2013, 07:02:10 PM »

Somewhat new to selling on Eham. What is the best way to ask for/recieve payment to avoid getting scammed or ripped off. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

73 Paul
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 07:53:10 PM »

Paypal, bank money order, or post-office money order.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 04:43:20 AM »

Just my opinion, but the Post Office Money Order--cashed at the post office--is still the only way to be absolutely sure that you've got the cash.  If a supposed P. O. money order is no good, (counterfeit)  you'll know it when you try to cash it--and the post office will take special notice of the attempted fraud by PO money order.

Paypal and their system favors the buyer, so if the buyer files a complaint, you may have to wait for--and may lose the money.  Some bank money orders are OK, mainly the large national banks, but I would be careful about a money order from a small local bank or a credit union.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 04:56:59 AM »

CASH face to face.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »

What about counterfeits? 

N9LCD
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 09:50:10 AM »

Counterfit ??, no problem, check it with those special pens tellers and cashiers use.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 12:18:04 PM »

Wash off or bleach off a single and your DIY $20, $50, or $100 will pass the pen test!!!

N9LCD

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 12:46:20 PM »

face to face with pennies, then?  US pennies.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 04:12:28 PM »

And when (not if) someone offers to send you a check for more than the amount you are asking, provided you'll send back the difference - RUN!!!
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »

Yeah, provided the pennies or whatever else are loose, not rolled.

I saw a couple interesting scams using "rolled coin" when I was in banking.

Sorry, no "how to" details provided.

N9LCD
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 04:58:20 PM »

Best way is an in person transaction with cash, preferably with a known ham at his or her QTH. A person is less likely to rip you off if they know that you know where they live. If the transaction amount is large and you are worried about counterfeit cash, both of you should go to the purchaser's bank and do a withdrawal there.

If you have to do the transaction by mail, use USPS money order. Cash the M.O. at the post office and don't ship your item until you get cash. If the P.O. doesn't have enough cash, you may have to seek out a regional office but in the mean while you can probably at least find out if the M.O. is not a forgery at the local branch.

Don't accept personal or bank checks. They are too easy to forge or, even if legitimate, the scammer can drain their account and make the check bounce but you may not be notified until days after you deposit the check, often after you've shipped the item.
W3DL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 09:43:08 AM »

I always request a Postal Money Order, and have been able to cash them at a bank, when they are too large for the local PO.

That being said, I have recently been nearly scammed by a seller here on eHam. I say nearly because after the seller's receipt of my money order and a few lame excuses via e-mail to me about why the item was not being delivered, the seller disappeared and would not answer phone or e-mail communications. 1 month passed and the item showed up, no explanation, no nothing. Perhaps my letter inviting him to court jogged his memory, who knows.

I might be doing face to face only in the future. Dishonesty is too rampant.
VE7ABC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 11:52:15 AM »

On the advise of a fellow ham who is also a Lawyer, I use Postal Money Orders only when buying or selling.  As he pointed out, any fooling around with a Postal Money order is a Federal offence, and you don't want to tick off the Feds. This rule applies both in the U.S.A. and here in Canada.
At flea markets, unless I personally know the person buying from me, CASH ONLY!
I'd sooner keep the gear in the shack than accept phoney checks or funny bank money drafts.  Nothing I put up for sale is a MUST SELL item.

73 and Merry Christmas to all.
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 06:14:10 PM »

Have to admit, many have issues that are worth noting.  Money orders are sometimes counterfeit, or canceled after mailed, Pay Pal a buyer can do a charge back, Postal money orders are usually better route but likely, if you are scammed, the USPS won't do much about it anyway.  Face to face, cash in hand is the best, but how many of us have that opportunity?  In this day and age, many scammers abound, some jerk you around with a potential transaction and then disappear (and don't like to be called on the carpet), whatever. 

The USPS is probably your best bet (a bit inconvenient but likely the least to be counterfeit).
NV2A

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »

I highly recommend US Postal Money Orders.  I tell who ever I'm doing business I insist on Postal Money Orders because we both have the protection of Mail Fraud laws of either of us if we feel like we got screwed.  Filing a mail fraud charge is very simple and in my case when I waited forever to get an item it showed  up about 1 and 1/2 weeks of filing the charges.

Needless to say this only works on US transactions but I don't do business out of country because I have no protection AND I don't wan't to get bogged down in Customs declarations.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: