The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to get paid when selling on eHam  (Read 31129 times)
K9OJT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 07:08:25 AM »

I highly recommend US Postal Money Orders.  I tell who ever I'm doing business I insist on Postal Money Orders because we both have the protection of Mail Fraud laws of either of us if we feel like we got screwed.  Filing a mail fraud charge is very simple and in my case when I waited forever to get an item it showed  up about 1 and 1/2 weeks of filing the charges.

Needless to say this only works on US transactions but I don't do business out of country because I have no protection AND I don't wan't to get bogged down in Customs declarations.

There is NO protection using USP MOs. This a mindset promoted by people who do not wish to held accountable for the merchandise they sell. It is the (One and Done mentality of escapism).

They just want their money without having to be answerable for the condition or accuracy of the items sold. If there is a problem, they are under no obligation to make it right...and I have issues with that!!!

The USPO is NOT going to process your claim or complaint...one small insignificant fraudulent claim is passed by as small potatoes.  The USPS has much bigger fish to fry.

Once again...there is NO protection using the USP money orders. This an advertising ploy used by people not wanting to be held accountable.

The only true protection is thru PayPal using credit cards...anything else is scam.

These USPS MO only folks remind me of the Nigerians.

Not quite as crafty though...

Mike K9OJT
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 07:13:08 AM by K9OJT » Logged
K9OJT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 06:09:02 AM »

As an addendum...I am NOT going pay your gas money.

You want to sell an item...and are willing to meet someone then pay your own gas...

This whole ideas of "I will meet you for gas money" is insulting and stupid!!!

You want to meet?...OK...great!!!...but I am NOT paying your gas.

You offered it for sale...pay for your own damn gas.

Mike

N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 08:40:05 AM »

Mike:

I've studied the many facets of fraud for a professional certification and I agree with you on the use of USPS money orders.

THE USE OF A USPS MONEY ORDER IN A FRAUDULENT TRANSACTION DOES NOT, IN AND OF ITSELF, AUTOMATICALLY EXPOSE THE FRAUDSTER TO CHARGES OF MAIL FRAUD. 

If you hand somebody a USPS money order in a fraudulent transaction, that isn't mail fraud!

THE POSTAL SERVICE MUST BE USED AT SOME POINT IN THE TRANSACTION TO TRANSMIT SOMETHING RELATED TO THE TRANSACTION.

It could be the buyer mailing a personal check to the fraudster or the fraudster using the Postal Service to ship the goods.

POSTAL INSPECTORS APPARENTLY ARE NOT REQUIRED TO INVESTIGATE FRAUDULENT TRANSACTIONS INVOLVING LESS THAN $300.

As an alternative to USPS money orders, I've accepted checks drawn on major nationwide banks and cash the check at the nearest office.  It's kept me from shipping on a NSF check more than once.

N9LCD
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 03:01:07 PM »

Paypal payment and shipment to verified paypal address only.
Ship only after you have transferred the money to your bank, so your paypal account is empty (~ four days).

If the buyer is a fraud and uses Paypal to get his money back, they cannot get it back for him from you without you cooperating. Would you cooperate? I didn't think so. You now have the opportunity to talk to paypal and tell them your side of the story, show them the pictures you took of the item as you packed it, the shipping receipt, etc. If they still will not budge, so be it, forget paypal from then on. You have your money, and your buyer has his purchase.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 06:09:14 PM »

...THE USE OF A USPS MONEY ORDER IN A FRAUDULENT TRANSACTION DOES NOT, IN AND OF ITSELF, AUTOMATICALLY EXPOSE THE FRAUDSTER TO CHARGES OF MAIL FRAUD. 

If you hand somebody a USPS money order in a fraudulent transaction, that isn't mail fraud!

THE POSTAL SERVICE MUST BE USED AT SOME POINT IN THE TRANSACTION TO TRANSMIT SOMETHING RELATED TO THE TRANSACTION.

It could be the buyer mailing a personal check to the fraudster or the fraudster using the Postal Service to ship the goods....

Usually postal money orders are sent by mail.  Someone handing someone else a postal money order personally to pick up goods is itself a big, bright red light--why not just hand over cash?

POSTAL INSPECTORS APPARENTLY ARE NOT REQUIRED TO INVESTIGATE FRAUDULENT TRANSACTIONS INVOLVING LESS THAN $300.

That is why the insurance the post office sells is a good idea--buy it even if the post office includes it free for transactions up to $50.  (I believe that's the 'free' limit.)  If you buy the insurance, the money order was sent by post, and you file a complaint, they have to investigate--that is the stipulation on the insurance you buy.  But it isn't stipulated on the free insurance included with shipping.  You've got to read the fine print these days.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 07:55:39 AM »

I have sold 6-8K of ham gear the last few years, some items 2K plus. I never have taken Paypal. I always tell buyers upfront or in the ad, NO Paypal.

The first step I take is research the buyer and research again. I never sell to anyone I don't feel comfortable dealing with. The buyer must have a verifiable telephone # and address. Most buyers of my expensive equipment contact me via telephone anyway. I take USPS Money orders, M.O. or any kind and bank checks. On smaller items I have taken Personal Checks. If the ham is well known I do not wait for check to clear. I expect buying hams to do the same to me - - Research me.

Once I even had a Ham send me $95 CASH thru the mail.

So far I have never had any problem. Every ham I have dealt with has been honest.
I do pick and choose buyers. I am picky, if you do not meet my standards then you do not get to buy my gear. No exceptions.

Selling only by Paypal or not taking Paypal limits your market. I am not the only ham that dislikes giving a fee to Paypal.

I have never had any problem selling any equipment. I sell at a fair price, try to describe gear accurately and never have had an unhappy customer.

Stan K9IUQ
W5HEH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 07:03:42 AM »

Somewhat new to selling on Eham. What is the best way to ask for/recieve payment to avoid getting scammed or ripped off. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

73 Paul

IT IS SIMPLE - YOU DO NOT SEND ANYTHING TILL THE MONEY IS TURNED INTO CASH THEN YOU SEND THE ITEM ,HONEST BUYERS UNDERSTAND . GOOD LUCK ,AJ sorry bout the caps.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 05:41:35 AM »

Ship only after you have transferred the money to your bank, so your paypal account is empty (~ four days).

If the buyer is a fraud and uses Paypal to get his money back, they cannot get it back for him from you without you cooperating. Would you cooperate? I didn't think so. You now have the opportunity to talk to paypal and tell them your side of the story, show them the pictures you took of the item as you packed it, the shipping receipt, etc. If they still will not budge, so be it, forget paypal from then on. You have your money, and your buyer has his purchase.

There have been cases where PayPal has refunded the money--than has gone after the person who did as you say.  Remember one thing--they've got the money, time and resources that an individual does not.  If they think it's worth it, they'll pursue you to h*ll and back.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 10:12:14 AM »

Selling only by Paypal or not taking Paypal limits your market. I am not the only ham that dislikes giving a fee to Paypal.

Stan K9IUQ

I'm the absolute reverse of you.  If you don't take PayPal, I'm not buying - period.  As for the fees, if you don't like them, add them to the price and let the buyer pay them.  In other words, instead of selling an item for $100, sell it for $103 or 4 to cover the cost.  I've only had one PayPal problem with a seller, and it was straightened out in a day.  On the other hand, I've lost $300 paying with a money order by mail to a PO box, and the post office never did squat.
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 10:33:43 AM »

This whole discussion brings up some suppressed grumbles:

First this question: what is more "valuable"? The cash, or the item to be sold? I think it is the cash, and so, it seems, thinks the seller as well.

Then, why is the buyer expected to part with the more valuable part of the deal first, before he gets to hold the second-valuable part? In other words, why is the buyer expected to bear the full risk of losing his money—the more valuable part, while the seller is fully protected?

This becomes even more evident in cases of a justified return, where, again, the buyer is now expected to give up the actual item first, before the seller gives up the cash. Should it not at least be the other way around here? Or better, should it not be reversed from the start?

I remember days long before the Internet where I would order an item by mail or over the phone, receive shipment at home and find the invoice inside the package which I then pay by making a bank transfer. Of course, this was not in America.

Back to OT—would a seller please explain to me, a buyer, why I need to part with cash before he parts with item? And then, when I return the item rightfully (let's say the item was not as described), and the previous seller now practically has to buy it back from me, why is he not first sending me the money but wants his item back first?  Roll Eyes

Paypal, for the fee they charge, should at least offer a free escrow service.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 04:11:26 AM »

Now that's a great idea. Paypal holds the money until both parties sign off the deal is done. And by the same token holds the money until a dispute is settled and a remedy agreed on by both parties. Either way both parties need to sign off for the deal to be complete and the money released to who ever gets it per the settlement. No favoritism to either party.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 01:35:58 PM »

Now that's a great idea. Paypal holds the money until both parties sign off the deal is done. And by the same token holds the money until a dispute is settled and a remedy agreed on by both parties. Either way both parties need to sign off for the deal to be complete and the money released to who ever gets it per the settlement. No favoritism to either party.

What happens when the parties won't agree?  Trust me, it will happen, and a lot, too.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 01:53:25 PM »

Actually nobody should get paid until there is an agreement. If you can't agree to finish the transaction, then both parties will be forced to go back to before the proposed sale. Seller get the merchandise, buyer get the money back.

You see some people will not settle because they are scamming the system. By being forced into a settlement that puts them both back to square 1, then the scammer gets nothing and the buyer is unharmed. There would no longer be an incentive to not make a settlement because nothing would be gained by either party.

And that is the reason "escrow" is the proper term because either party can decide not to agree and then there is no harm to either.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 10:10:29 AM »

over $500---bank to bank wire transfer in the USA.
Art
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 04:54:59 PM »

PayPal is the only way I pay for any mail order product. If the seller does not take PayPal then I am not interested in purchasing from him or her. When I sell an item, I only take PayPal. It is the best and safest way to buy and sell.

My opinion.

K2OWK
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: