The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tokyo Hy-Power Bankruptcy  (Read 57854 times)
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »

I'm sure AVSL will provide parts and service for the foreseeable future. Honoring the 1 year warranty is another issue. Would be nice to see a company with deeper pockets buy them out and continue their tradition of quality, reliable products.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 11:21:03 AM »

I called Tom Rum but all I got was a voice mail message saying he knows nothing about the status of the factory and that he has not heard from them in 2 weeks!  He recommends you call HRO in woodbridge for for more information or call AVSL if you have issue's requiring servicing.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 11:42:27 AM »

There is always the possibility another (major) manufacturer will purchase the designs and continue the line.

This would be the time for the Big 3 to step in and finally have a good modern amplifier line to go with their radios.  Number one on that list is kenwood!
All these THP amps are already FCC certified, they would be crazy to let this opportunity pass.

It is obviously not a profitable venture. Why would someone want to buy a sinking ship.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »

if you can buy the engineering cheaply, and you slot that production into existing lines, then consider you already have the overhead in place, an acquirer could make the failed business work.  the trick is to get the engineering, tooling, and one or two SMEs at a reasonable price in bankruptcy court.  there isn't much room to hike the price of the product, since THP was already in the premier pricing tier.

so it all comes down to a reasonable bid being accepted.  what is reasonable is way out of my league.  safe to say moving everything to Starkville, MS is probably out of the question Wink
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 12:32:22 PM »

Not expressly knocking the Starkville group (they have their niche in ham radio), but they're way out of the THP products' league. I always noticed that HRO didn't carry any substantial quantity of THP amp inventory...many times they were listed as "pending", and most of what was available was in Woodbridge. I suspect they (THP) lacked the capitalization to mass produce and keep up with demand, or the amateur market in general was unwilling to pay the premium prices for quality and reliability. Not having readily available inventory will drive potential customers to seek alternatives. Nothing happens until the cash register rings (can you tell I'm retired from 40 years in retail?). No sales equals eventual failure. Just my 2 cents....hate to see them go.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 12:43:30 PM »

Now I will ask does anyone know what the finals are in the THP HL-450b?

They never revealed them to the public as stated The THP HL-450b uses 4  Proprietary THP 420's

I am confident that this amplifier will last long relatively speaking as compared to other designs of this vintage period.

If no exact replacements are available are there Any equivalent finals as replacements?

W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 01:05:07 PM »

Quote from: KD8MJR on Today at 12:47:26 AMIf THP is really gone it's one giant leap backwards for modernization of ham radio amplifiers!
Nobody makes an SS amp that can fill the shoes of THP.  As for me, as the old saying goes they will be prying my amp out of my cold dead hands! This is one piece of gear that I will never part with.

I have always passed on the THP amps but have owned two of the SPE Expert 1KFA. Built in tuner, SO2R ready, power supply and excellent fault detection.
http://www.expertampsusa.com/

Dale W4OP
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 03:26:47 PM »

And Dale they has a pretty high failure rate on that model.  I know they got most of the problems fixed in later versions but an SPE amp is not nearly as bullet proof as a THP.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »

There is always the possibility another (major) manufacturer will purchase the designs and continue the line.

This would be the time for the Big 3 to step in and finally have a good modern amplifier line to go with their radios.  Number one on that list is kenwood!
All these THP amps are already FCC certified, they would be crazy to let this opportunity pass.

It is obviously not a profitable venture. Why would someone want to buy a sinking ship.

I think the reason THP failed was because the owner was possibly not the best businessman but was more of a Genius Engineer with an eye for perfection.  For example he seemed to love designing new products and must have used a large amount of capital making his dream machines a reality.  Have you ever seen the 5Kfx?  It is probably the best Ham Amp ever made but he stopped short of producing them because the reality of trying to sell a $15,000 Amp hit him in the head.

Most Ham companies milk a tried and proven Amp design for a decade or more but THP would replace models almost every 3 years.  They also spent way too much money making Amps that were never going to be big sellers like the HL-2500Fx and not spending enough time just stream lining and cutting production costs on Amps like the 550 or the 1.5Kfx that could have probably saved the company if they could have cut the production costs by 20%.   BTW I had a conversation I with someone about the Kenwood 990 and this guy would know the facts, he related to me how Kenwood is discovering the same thing when they compared profitability of the 590 vs the 990.

So what we are left with is a huge inventory of really good certified Amplifier designs and if someone buys the company and focuses production on just 3 models like the 550 the 1.5Kfx and maybe one VHF Amp they will be able to produce those three models for much less money.  If they want they can keep the HL-2500Fx as a company show piece and just do a short production run of them.  So in a nutshell if someone concentrates on production and marketing and forgets R&D they can make it work.

W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2013, 04:17:23 PM »

And Dale they has a pretty high failure rate on that model.  I know they got most of the problems fixed in later versions but an SPE amp is not nearly as bullet proof as a THP.

I sure never saw that- I have three friends with them and at one time knew the USA dealer and never heard of failures. On the other hand I do recall THP amps blowing up because the line voltage was a tad high.

Dale W4OP
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2013, 05:50:53 PM »

Check the web you can find several cases of it.
On the flip side I have never heard of a THP blowing up due to line fluctuations but I can easily see how that might happen if someone uses the 220v or 230v line tap when they have 240v running into their house.  People are always doing this kind of stuff to eek out a few extra watts on the output.
And btw I bet they had multiple OV protection faults but just kept on resetting the amp.
THP warns against doing that in every manual and on their website

Dale I just found this, just so you know I am not some THP fan boy saying bad things about SPE.  This comes from the horses mouth and talks about the early units they released.

http://k9zw.wordpress.com/2007/12/23/spe-amp-dec07-announcement/
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 06:29:04 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

NN4X

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2013, 08:17:48 PM »

If THP is really gone it's one giant leap backwards for modernization of ham radio amplifiers!
Nobody makes an SS amp that can fill the shoes of THP.  As for me, as the old saying goes they will be prying my amp out of my cold dead hands! This is one piece of gear that I will never part with.

I must strenuously disagree with this statement, regarding "modernization".   The Dishtronx Prometheus is truly state-of-the art; nothing THP made is in the same league as that amp.   As a matter of fact, there is no other solid state amp that can compare to the Prometheus.
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2013, 09:00:05 PM »

Going back to the original topic, I checked yesterday (December 26) with the local Hong Kong importer and agent of THP. They responded to me saying they had not been informed of any bankruptcy or impending dissolution of THP.

The Japanese THP website does not mention anything to this effect. The latest news (in Japanese) was posted on December 13, and relates to repair status:

http://www.thp.co.jp/news/amatuer_nenmatsu_shuri_20131213.pdf

So far, apart from some hearsay, there seems to be no hard evidence to say whether the rumor is correct or not. If I hear anything definite I will post back.

VR2AX
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2013, 09:04:12 PM »

Maybe someone is trying to play the market with stock.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
NX5MK

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2013, 09:40:03 PM »

... There are no official listings in Japan bankruptcy postings of a company name Tokyo Hy Power."

KD8MJR,
Could you have another look if there are now official listings of the bankruptcy? Seems like you are able to read Japanese and know on which sites to look...
Thank you.
73 de Marcus NX5MK
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: