The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tokyo Hy-Power Bankruptcy  (Read 57841 times)
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2014, 01:40:11 PM »

I wonder why Kenwood does not buy Tokyo  High Power.  Kenwood name on their products would be a successful product.
Kenwood used to sell the the TL933 from JRC so this would not be an unusual arrangement for Kenwood.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2014, 07:23:11 AM »

I wonder why Kenwood does not buy Tokyo  High Power.  Kenwood name on their products would be a successful product.
Kenwood used to sell the the TL933 from JRC so this would not be an unusual arrangement for Kenwood.

I don't know how truthful they are but I heard grumblings that Kenwood is contemplating exiting the amateur market.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2014, 03:02:12 PM »

I wonder why Kenwood does not buy Tokyo  High Power.  Kenwood name on their products would be a successful product.

I don't know how truthful they are but I heard grumblings that Kenwood is contemplating exiting the amateur market.

I have heard that none of the big three are doing all that good right now.
I expect another well known Amplifier company to go under very soon.  The rumours have been spreading for sometime now, so I don't think this one will be a shock like THP.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2014, 05:56:37 PM »

I wonder why Kenwood does not buy Tokyo  High Power.  Kenwood name on their products would be a successful product.

I have heard that none of the big three are doing all that good right now.
I expect another well known Amplifier company to go under very soon.  The rumours have been spreading for sometime now, so I don't think this one will be a shock like THP.

I would assume you are referring to Alpha?Huh??

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2014, 04:30:16 PM »

And ACOM steps in with a 600w solid state amp:
http://www.acom-bg.com/home.html

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2014, 09:28:32 PM »

And ACOM steps in with a 600w solid state amp:
http://www.acom-bg.com/home.html

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

Thanks John, that's a nice looking Amp.

Here is some close up pictures of the UI.
http://www.coroflot.com/ginev/Acom-600S-UI

Rob
KD8MJR

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2014, 01:09:43 AM »

If it is as well protected as their 1500 tube model, it will be almost totally idiot proofed!
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2014, 08:44:58 AM »

Tube protection is not nearly as difficult as SS.  We will have to wait and see what they come out with.  The only problem I see so far is that it's only 600 Watts.  I wish they had tried for legal limit like the 2.5Kfx or 2500fx

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »

True, but it seems that if you even f**t the wrong way, the 1500 turns off!
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2014, 11:09:46 PM »

The trick Lies in response time. With tubes you have lots of time to fault out the Amp, with SS you have milliseconds to detect and shutdown the PA or the finals are toast.
The protection design also has to be bullet proof or else your protection is going to fail at a bad time.

I have faith Acom will get it right but I won't be celebrating until enough of them are in the field so the reliability is accessed.

K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2014, 10:57:39 AM »

Tube protection is not nearly as difficult as SS.  We will have to wait and see what they come out with.  The only problem I see so far is that it's only 600 Watts.  I wish they had tried for legal limit like the 2.5Kfx or 2500fx

Probably because there is not a large market for $6000 solid state amplifiers. How many 2.5Kfx amplifiers sold in the US? I bet just a handful. A handful of amplifiers sold in the US (largest Amateur radio market in the world) is not going to keep any company in business. There is a reason they went under....... People easily forget that these companies need to make a profit to survive. I bet the market for a 600 watt solid state linear amplifier is a chitload larger than the market for a legal limit solid state amplifier.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:02:29 AM by K2GWK » Logged

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2014, 03:25:31 PM »

K2GWK, agree 100%.  That's why I bought the THP 1.2, 750W.  That's why Elecraft came out with SS for 500W.  And Ameritron.  And now we see Acom.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2014, 05:22:17 PM »

No Tokyo Hy-Power went out of business because 70% of their revenue was generated from the sale of RF devices used in the medical field.  That market went flat ever since the nuclear accident and THP was actually using the amplifier section to prop up the whole company. Obviously this plan was not going to work out, so they kept on racking up debt while hoping the medical division would recover.

I can tell you for certain that no company is ever going to get rich selling just amplifiers, even if it's 500 watts or 2KW.  It's just not a big enough market and it's too full of used equipment and competing manufactures.

BTW there are a lot more 2.5Kfx's out there than you may be thinking. They sold over 40 of the 2500fx world wide in just the first two weeks and HRO sold 18 of those with more sales on back order.  You may think that not a lot of legal limit THP amps sold but that's just because the whole THP line is so solid you hardly ever hear anybody talk about them, because people mostly open their mouths to complain Wink    The real big seller for THP was the 1.5Kfx and the 1.2Kfx.
The 1.2Kfx was the best money per watt you could get in the THP line.  It also was the most conservative rated amp with it's 1200 watt PA board being driven to only 750 watts.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:29:37 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2014, 07:58:43 PM »

KD8MJR, thanks for that info.  I love my 1.2Kfx
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2014, 09:14:27 PM »

No Tokyo Hy-Power went out of business because 70% of their revenue was generated from the sale of RF devices used in the medical field.  That market went flat ever since the nuclear accident and THP was actually using the amplifier section to prop up the whole company. Obviously this plan was not going to work out, so they kept on racking up debt while hoping the medical division would recover.

I can tell you for certain that no company is ever going to get rich selling just amplifiers, even if it's 500 watts or 2KW.  It's just not a big enough market and it's too full of used equipment and competing manufactures.

BTW there are a lot more 2.5Kfx's out there than you may be thinking. They sold over 40 of the 2500fx world wide in just the first two weeks and HRO sold 18 of those with more sales on back order.  You may think that not a lot of legal limit THP amps sold but that's just because the whole THP line is so solid you hardly ever hear anybody talk about them, because people mostly open their mouths to complain Wink    The real big seller for THP was the 1.5Kfx and the 1.2Kfx.
The 1.2Kfx was the best money per watt you could get in the THP line.  It also was the most conservative rated amp with it's 1200 watt PA board being driven to only 750 watts.

If you look at my QRZ page you will notice I own a 1.2Kfx. Great amp and I will probably never sell it. I sell RF and Microwave electronic test and measurement equipment for a living (spectrum analyzers, network analyzers etc.) and have a few power amplifier manufacturers as clients (non ham amplifiers). The average ham does not realize how difficult it is to design, build, market and sell a solid state linear amplifier while keeping the price reasonable. Kudos to THP for offering high quality reasonably priced solid state amps to the amateur market. I was surprised they did it for so long.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: