The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tokyo Hy-Power Bankruptcy  (Read 57855 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2014, 12:01:23 AM »

Yes I feel the same way, they took such pride in their products and their service was second to none.  If people realized the thin margin they were making they be even more astonished at the quality of the amp.  Let's just say they used the best of everything and went in with an attitude of reaching for total perfection. I heard the émployees worked the whole of December without pay and we're willing to keep on going but the doors got closed in their faces.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2014, 12:34:52 PM »

I had a THP HL-1.2KFx and sold it to a buddy of mine for a Elecraft KPA500.  I couldn't believe THP's precision craftsmanship and strict attention to detail.  I was thinking of picking up a HL2500 later this year for my other house but that plan is moot now but is seriously looking at an Alpha 9500.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2014, 10:55:31 AM »

"very thin margins..." is not the way to guarantee longevity, in either componentry or  a company's operating budget.  THP got it right inside the cabinet from most accounts.  it's a stretch to make give-or-take 40% profit throughout the sales chain, but those who can are going to find dealerships and good sales.

however... if you sell 10% capacity at 40%, and the other 90% of your business nosedives, the corporation ROI is going to slide no matter what.  this appears to be THP's issue, the commercial business dried up and the hobby side was nowhere near capable of pulling them out.

if the RF decks were similar, and the power supplies were similar, and the major change from a welding exciter to a ham amp was the control head and maybe cabinet, it might have helped.  say, a GM product line and not a Rolls product line.  but not to be this time.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: