The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wasn't there a place that checked all Ameritron amps before the shipped?  (Read 21386 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2014, 07:56:47 AM »

I am trying to remember, I thought there was a place that checked all ameritron amps they sold before they shipped them. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »

That would ruin the surprise!

Getting a brand new product that is filled with flaws that you need to fix yourself is just part of the fun and excitement of amateur radio.

Cheesy

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:08:14 AM »

Getting a brand new product that is filled with flaws that you need to fix yourself is just part of the fun and excitement of amateur radio.

Cheesy

Cheesy That's a good one!
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 10:05:50 AM »

I will if you wish. I test them as well as fix the bugs prior to shipments if the customer wishes.

www.aesham.com

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 12:44:08 PM »

Cheesy

ROFL  Grin Grin

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 03:00:01 PM »

I am trying to remember, I thought there was a place that checked all ameritron amps they sold before they shipped them. 

Have you ever known MFJ to check anything they send out of Starkville for quality?
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 03:51:54 PM »

Have you ever known MFJ to check anything they send out of Starkville for quality?

No but I bet they check your Money First before they send anything.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 04:36:55 PM »

No but I bet they check your Money First before they send anything.

You have to wonder how Martian sleeps at night???  Probably on stacks of money.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 04:38:39 PM »

I will if you wish. I test them as well as fix the bugs prior to shipments if the customer wishes.

www.aesham.com

What is the failure rate you see? 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 03:24:05 AM »

Sure hope they replace Miles at the Milwaukee store. Good luck in retirement Miles!

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 10:19:18 AM »

"What is the failure rate you see"

I probably repair 3 or 4 out of 10. It's hard to say as I do not log or charge for it and when Jim passed away at AES , this effort really came to a stop. If someone calls AES and orders a new Ameritron and requests I check it out, I will do it free and have been doing it for years.

When you turn over as much stuff as I do, tracking is a waste of time. I fix, and get it out.

Most things are repairable by the new owner which mainly consists of wires not soldered , wires not hooked up, coils with cold solder joints and stuff like that. Its EASY to inspect and fix before you power up but if you lack the skill , I will do it free if you "ask" when you call.

If folks would simply use the reviews section for MFJ, here on eHam , you can get a pretty good idea of all the failures and manufacturing problems to propair yourself.

Cheers
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 11:53:12 AM »

"What is the failure rate you see"

I probably repair 3 or 4 out of 10. It's hard to say as I do not log or charge for it and when Jim passed away at AES , this effort really came to a stop.

That is an appalling error rate (30-40%) whomever is responsible for QA or the production manager should be fired over something that horrible. When I was involved in QA testing at an electronics manufacturing company we would get excited if our failure rate was 1-2%. Almost all of those were due to shipping damage but still, we devoted a great deal of time to toughening up our products and revising how we packed products to reduce that further.

Stuff just did not leave the production line bad. Everything was subject to "burn-in", functional testing and basic environmental testing for 72 hours before it was boxed up.

If you have assemblers who leave things unsoldered, disconnected or wired wrong then they need to be retrained. I would be surprised if they even apply power to a piece of gear if mistakes like that are leaving the building.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 12:24:52 PM »

It's pretty clear that Ameritron has no QC at all and there is really no need for threads to debate the issue.
People have gotten Amps with the tube sockets not even screwed down, wires not even connected or internal parts that are missing all together.

That's enough evidence to prove that no one is looking at the final product, much less plugging it in.  LOL the MFJ employees would probably request hazard pay if they had to plug the stuff in.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 01:21:31 PM »

They should just dump all of the parts in a big box filled with packing noodles. A schematic and some pictures of what the insides should look like and sell it as a kit.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
VK5DO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 03:08:54 PM »

You can bet none of the stuff coming out of Asian manufacturers has that failure rate and then we (you in America and us in Australia) complain when our manufacturing industries are getting our arses kicked by the Asian companies.  Businesses like Ameritron/MFJ with that sort of QC deserve to be flogged in the markets by cheaper and lets face it better, imported goods.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: