The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wasn't there a place that checked all Ameritron amps before the shipped?  (Read 21384 times)
W6BP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 06:09:24 PM »

They should just dump all of the parts in a big box filled with packing noodles. A schematic and some pictures of what the insides should look like and sell it as a kit.

They should do this with the entire MFJ-and-subsidiaries product line.  It would please kit builders, and give rise to a cottage industry of folks who'd assemble kits for customers.  Those builders could charge extra for leaving one or two joints unsoldered and a few loose parts in each assembled device, just to please the MFJ-as-it-was nostalgia nuts.
K8KVN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 06:12:44 PM »

I like the kit idea, MFJ should consider it. As it stands, the Elecraft KPA-500 kit seems to be the most viable option given what I've been following in this Forum. My Elmer taught me how to put things together, it's like riding a bicycle.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 08:28:18 AM »

This was just posted on eHam on the 2nd of Jan... Basically they already "are" kits...

I received my 1700C and something inside rattled right out of the box. I noticed that two of the SO-239 connectors each had a mounting bolt sticking out. Inside I found the two nuts. When I hooked up the thing I noticed a lot of receiver noise when I wiggled the "Antenna" rotary switch. I opened it again and realized that there were bad solder joints at the switch wafer contacts where the solid wire from the SO-239s were connected. Rather than mechanically secure the wire into the wafer contact hole, all the leads were just resting on top of the contacts where a glob of solder had been applied. These idiots don't seem to know that electrical solder is no substitute for a secure mechanical connection. I used some 22ga wire wrapped around the wafer contact and the SO-239 lead for a mechanical connection and re-soldered everything.
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 08:59:16 AM »

That is an appalling error rate (30-40%) whomever is responsible for QA or the production manager should be fired over something that horrible. When I was involved in QA testing at an electronics manufacturing company we would get excited if our failure rate was 1-2%. Almost all of those were due to shipping damage but still, we devoted a great deal of time to toughening up our products and revising how we packed products to reduce that further.

MFJ is in business. Reputable THP is not.

Ignacy, NO9E
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 10:57:59 AM »

MFJ is in business. Reputable THP is not.

Ignacy, NO9E
Once again proving that crap always floats to the top!

Or maybe that Hams are for the most part are really cheap and always buy the lowest priced items.  In that case this hobby will soon be taken over buy China and MFJ will also be gone.
Already you have lots of HT's, Meters and other stuff coming from China. Just wait till they start making tube Amps then it's the end for Ameritron.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:44:21 AM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 12:03:58 PM »

Just wait till they start making tube Amps then it's the end for Ameritron.

Oh, they have: http://www.amp.co.nf/
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 12:43:07 PM »

Yes, they have:
http://www.ae5x.com/blog/2010/07/31/hf2k-new-info/

John AE5X

N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 12:51:48 PM »

Yup... Type in Google "Ham Radio Made In China"

http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/ham+radio.html

"Or maybe that Hams are for the most part really cheap and always buy the lowest priced items"

That, my friend is the truth....
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 04:24:46 PM »

Heavy duty band switch, heavy duty carbon parasitic suppressor resistor, real nice heavy duty high current capacity variable air capacitor, split for good tuning on 10 meters.  Split HV plate choke to avoid resonating on warc bands.  Not too shabby.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 05:35:03 PM »

That amp looks very familiar Grin
 I think it's the same guy I contacted in China about 2 years ago.
If that's the case you can forget about ever getting one.  I had a back and forth exchanges with him spanning about 2 weeks and 8 emails.

The really short version went like this:

Email Q1)  I want one. (along with a lot of complimentary statements about the Amp.)

Reply 1)  Sorry we cannot ship to the USA and there would be no warranty.

Q2) I understand that, you can ship it to Panama were I will have a friend receive it. Can you do that? I don't care about the warranty.

R2) No!  It's very hard to ship out of China.

Q3)  Ok I know someone who travels to Beijing once a month, he is willing to receive one at his hotel in Beijing and will not be carrying it directly to the USA but to Panama.

R3)  Very hard to ship to Beijing  Huh Huh

Q4)  Could he pick up one directly from you?

R4: A week later)  No we don't have any right now.

Q5)  When will you have stock?

R5)  No reply ever came back...

A Total waste of time!

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W6PU

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »

Am I just lucky?

Have had my  MFJ/ AL-1200  Amp. for 12 years, and run it hard in both, and contesting DXing. 

It is a forgiving brute of an Amp. which has never let me down!

Cheers!
Bob/ W6PU
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 06:55:19 PM »

Am I just lucky?

Have had my  MFJ/ AL-1200  Amp. for 12 years, and run it hard in both, and contesting DXing. 

It is a forgiving brute of an Amp. which has never let me down!

Cheers!
Bob/ W6PU

I have an AMERITRON 811H that is have had a long time & other than a cap & a bad tube over the years it's been very dependable.I just pulled it out of line & put an ICOM PW-1 in it's place but am having a hard time listing the 811H for sale because it has been such a dependable piece of gear.I had an ALS-600 that was just the opposite because it stayed on the UPS truck more than in my shack or at AMERITRON. It was a total piece of crap from day one & I have heard others having some of the same issues with the ALS-1300 as well but I've heard it's just (2)of the ALS-600's in a single box? {:>)

Clayton
W4KVW
W5JO

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 06:25:12 PM »

I have an AL 1200 which has given yoeman service for years without fail.  Not only that but I have purchased several other MFJ products that were trouble free.  The tech support and warranty are no questions asked but your best bet is to communicate by email.

By the way Ameritron is not the only amp manufacturer with problems.  How would you feel if you paid the price for an Alpha and had the problems they do?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:30:45 PM by W5JO » Logged
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 04:14:11 AM »

"By the way Ameritron is not the only amp manufacturer with problems.  How would you feel if you paid the price for an Alpha and had the problems they do?"

Missing the point again....

I think most folks get ticked off when NEW things arrive at their doorstep , never tested and missing parts. That's what 99% of the negative feedback is on eHam about their products.

I have bought Ameritron Amps in the past and like them however I go thru them in detail correcting issues prior to power up.  I do not think you have ever heard of an Alpha missing parts on delivery (at least I have not) I have had several Alpha 89's that were flawless. I recall this is one of the ones I owned and I think it was W2PA that bought it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRbRHp-RFMg
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 04:34:37 AM »

Certainly the majority of Ameritron customers get great gear that works just fine. If you flip the 20-30% bad statistic over on it's head;

They can boast;  "70-80% of our customers get products that they are really happy about!" WOO HOO!

Maybe that is what makes the owners sleep so well at night, that 70-80% of their customers are happy.

So the other 20-30% of you can go to the devil.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: