The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wasn't there a place that checked all Ameritron amps before the shipped?  (Read 21385 times)
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2014, 04:56:18 AM »

Hi N4ATS

Wonderfull to hear that there are more companies with that kind of service.
I bought my AL572BCXE  in PA and it was tested , duth type AC connector installed, and tubes were installed etc. before he gave it to me.

After a week or so it gave problems with strange rattle noises.
Pa was fixed for free and FB service.
Problem was a bad tube and found out only after 3 yrs that it was a tube after i put in a new set of 572's
Every now and then the anode would rattle a bit in the glass envelope.

A friend of me also bought an AL572BCXE a month later and he had Svetlana tubes in the amp, I had cheap chinese rubbish, he used his amp much more as I did , the Svetlanas are still FB the Chinese junk was totaly warn in 3 years, emission was very bad tubes were gone.
Never drove them to hard always about 40 watts input but still completely warn.
Bought a new set of chinese tubes and they are still doing FB.

Luckely my country is so big hihi, that i have 3 good hamshops within 40 miles range.
10 meters wouldn't work to well but only found that out after 5 yrs because I never worked on 10 mtrs in 7 yrs time.
Problem with 10 mtrs is build in with the design, so run barefoot on 10 mtrs.  
The amp is still running very good after 6 yrs now, I used it a lot in SSB, but as my QSO's are going more to the CW , it is not used alot anymore.
In CW never felt the need for the amp at all.

And if MFJ only had a department that collected and stored, after sale defects and quality problems they would have found that their quality control was missing.

But if you look at the price of products and the enourmes range of products , it is hard to find a firm that can be of so much help for a ham as MFJ.
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2014, 06:16:03 AM »

This same old subject repeats over and over. I have owned two Ameritron amps an AL 811 and an AL 80A which I am using now as my primary amp since 1989. The AL 811 had a couple of incompletions, tube socket missing screws, and RF connector no screws. Ameritron responded right away with screws, I put them in and used it three years no problems. The 25 year old AL 80 A
is still performing like it should using an Amperex 3-500 that is 11 years old. I have made some repairs myself and mods over the years with my limited tech skills. I am glad to have Ameritron/MFJ products  even with the lousy quality control they have shown in recent years. They are easy to work on, parts are available at a decent price, and in general live up to their claims. They are still a good value for the buck, and have manuals on line. I own 8 MFJ products now some 15 years or more still doing well. I would certainly hate to see them fail as a company. Good we have this forum for unhappy, and happy people to vent. We are entitled to express  opinions. I appreciate Ameritron/MFJ as a source for amateur radio equipment.
W6BP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »

By the way Ameritron is not the only amp manufacturer with problems.

False equivalence.  The fact that all amp manufacturers have problems doesn't mean that they have the same number of problems, or problems of the same severity.

How would you feel if you paid the price for an Alpha and had the problems they do?

I guess the lesson is, always buy something cheap and shoddy, as that tends to lessen the disappointment.
KF6RDN

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2014, 01:39:19 PM »

Perhaps if you have some sort of computer installed in it, so when the NSA intercepts it, they will accidentally fix it?

K3NB

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 04:39:35 AM »

Hey, hey, hey, let's not be mean.  A LOT of American industries hire the handicapped - you know, public education victim stoners...

I bought an 811H several months back on consignment from HRO - cheap - works very well BUT, I opened it up to take a look inside, install a softstart board and such and found two little metal tabs - approx. 1/8" x 1/2", curved, wider at one end - like they were part of a socket pin holder (they weren't) and I couldn't figure out anywhere else they might have come from inside the amp.  HRO offered to take it back if it didn't work, so far so good.

"Every man, woman, and responsible child has an unalienable individual, civil, Constitutional, and human right to obtain, own, and carry, openly or concealed, any weapon -- rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything -- any time, any place, without asking anyone's permission." - L. Niel Smith
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 11:59:56 AM »

"Hey, hey, hey, let's not be mean.  A LOT of American industries hire the handicapped"

Actually , ever heard of "Pride" CB Amplifiers , built extremely well and like a tank, even their HF models that covered multi bands. Not FCC accepted but always worked out of the box. I knew the owner and ALL of them were built by handicapped people including "blind" people in some assembly areas that were made possible.

They sold a pile of those amps through the years and still today , they work!

Here is a beautiful HF model...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0cm1wKpdlg
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 04:04:15 PM »

They should just dump all of the parts in a big box filled with packing noodles. A schematic and some pictures of what the insides should look like and sell it as a kit.

On the surface this sounds like a good idea but then when you think about MFJ you know the sequence of events that is going to happen.

1) Open Box, sift through noodles for parts.

2) Assemble Amp and notice several parts are missing.

3) Spend the whole night going through noodles looking for parts.

4) Spend the next day on the phone with MFJ arguing about missing parts.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 12:29:03 PM »

"Hey, hey, hey, let's not be mean.  A LOT of American industries hire the handicapped"

Actually , ever heard of "Pride" CB Amplifiers , built extremely well and like a tank, even their HF models that covered multi bands. Not FCC accepted but always worked out of the box. I knew the owner and ALL of them were built by handicapped people including "blind" people in some assembly areas that were made possible.

They sold a pile of those amps through the years and still today , they work!

Here is a beautiful HF model...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0cm1wKpdlg

That video was hilarious.  HELLLOO  AAAAUUUUDDIIIIOOO

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2014, 12:58:23 PM »

In the late 70's there were people that's all they did all day...hello audio. Think those were the only 2 words they knew! Thanks for the vid!

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2014, 02:52:16 PM »

"In the late 70's there were people that's all they did all day...hello audio"

More like "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadioooooooooooooooooooooo"

You got that right BUT the difference being , do that on an amp built today, it will last about 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:55:07 PM by N4ATS » Logged
VK2ANS

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2014, 07:23:42 PM »

I have to spend at least 1.5 hours upgrading, modifying, testing and retuning (along with the occasional fault finding) new Ameritron AL-811 series amplifiers every time I import a shipment of them. Way back, when I didn't do all this work many of them would be sent back for warranty repair. They are extremely prone to self-oscillation and have other instrinsic problems. Sometimes, all-new products would arrive faulty. Yes, brand new design products were faulty from new! I would rate most Ameritron and MFJ products about 5/10 - and I've sold most of their products over the past 30+ years. What MFJ (and Ameritron, etc.) should employ is a highly qualified quality control manager (or company) with an iron-clad contract who can get the quality level up to where it should be, as it's well below "world class", that's for sure. Then again, as they're probably making plenty of money, anyway, "who cares"? I liked the comment that staff should be paid danger money if they had to switch on and test Ameritron amplifiers, hi! The main issue is that one must be lucky to get an AL-811 series amplifier that works properly, overall, if it hasn't been upgraded. Lee. VK2ANS.   
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2014, 08:20:14 PM »

Why dont you support your Aussie mates and sell Emtron Amplifiers? The Emtron DX1 looks like an excellent amp.  Certainly makes any 811 amp look like a homebrew piece of CB junk. But then again I look on your web page and see  that you sell illegal CB amps as ham amplifiers. I suppose if you dont know that class C CB amps cause splatter how can you actually be critical of an legal Ameritron Amplifier that has IMD performance that is several orders of magnitude better than the CB junk I see that you sell  and pass off as amateur amplifiers  I would rather buy a AL811 than a Andrews PA-888 HF 300W+ linear amplifier CB splatter box

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-06.htm

I see the ham amp is optimised for 10 through to 30mhz. Some quality ham amp eh,  and thats your answer to the quality  that you want to bestow on the ham service, talk about calling the kettle black.

Frankly the Ameritron 811 line of amps have served hams well and compared garbage illegal amps like RM Italy and your re-marketed chinese junk I think i would take my chances with Ameritron any day! Besides technical specifications  are vastly superior to the CB crap boxes that these wannabe hams want to pollute the ham bands with.

I have to spend at least 1.5 hours upgrading, modifying, testing and retuning (along with the occasional fault finding) new Ameritron AL-811 series amplifiers every time I import a shipment of them. Way back, when I didn't do all this work many of them would be sent back for warranty repair. They are extremely prone to self-oscillation and have other instrinsic problems. Sometimes, all-new products would arrive faulty. Yes, brand new design products were faulty from new! I would rate most Ameritron and MFJ products about 5/10 - and I've sold most of their products over the past 30+ years. What MFJ (and Ameritron, etc.) should employ is a highly qualified quality control manager (or company) with an iron-clad contract who can get the quality level up to where it should be, as it's well below "world class", that's for sure. Then again, as they're probably making plenty of money, anyway, "who cares"? I liked the comment that staff should be paid danger money if they had to switch on and test Ameritron amplifiers, hi! The main issue is that one must be lucky to get an AL-811 series amplifier that works properly, overall, if it hasn't been upgraded. Lee. VK2ANS.   
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: