The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer Connection  (Read 1901 times)
KE7EEW

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2005, 06:40:51 AM »

Is it possible to connect a HAM radio (THD7 Kenwood) to my computer and monitor any text packets that it recieves. Eventually, I would like to make a program that reads these packets & knows when the correct 'password' has come in.

Thats going to be linked to a basic stamp microcontroller that will flip a relay to cut down a high altitude balloon.

Any links etc. that anyone could provide would be very helpful.
Thanks!
- KE7EEW
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 12:20:26 PM »

You can do that. The manual should have info on how to connect a terminal program (running on the computer) to the internal TNC. You need to purchase or build a special cable.

It is also very possible to program a PIC chip to decode the packets as well as actuating your relay so that there is no need for a full radio and TNC like the Kenwood. You could simply use a receiver module to send audio to the PIC, making the whole thing smaller, lighter weight, and using less battery power.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KC7JDS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 05:12:07 AM »

I'm not sure what digi-modes you're interested in, but try www. tigertronics.com. They have modems that connect directly to your computer or laptop, & then cable to the radio. They also have links to software you can download to make the modems work. A whole lot cheaper then the average TNC setup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: