The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending CW in SSB mode  (Read 5909 times)
AB7JK

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2005, 09:13:34 PM »

I finally got my rig control software working and I found a digital program MMVARI that will send CW in SSB mode using the RTS control instead of via the keying circuit (I don't have time to build a keying interface right now). I've listened to the CW tone and it sounds ok. Question: Is it legal to use a CW signal keyed this way?
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 04:52:07 AM »

I suppose it would be legal to do so.

Here is a link to a site with information about the CW Type program (which is FREE!) and a very simple interface.

http://www.qsl.net/wm2u/cw.html

I use the serial port interface and it took me about 10 minutes to build it 'dead bug' style on the back of a DB9 connector and it works like a charm.

Good luck!
NØIU
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 04:04:48 PM »

Yes, it is legal to send CW that way. You have to be very careful however that the signal is clean. It is easy to get distortion from overdriving, hum, or other noise in your signal when doing it this way.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 07:44:38 AM »

You want to be sure that the tone you are using is a clean, single tone.  As above, make sure you are not overdriving, with hum, rf feedback/distortion, etc.

A 1000 cycle tone, for example, fed into a SSB transmitter IS CW, plain and simple.
W2AEW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 09:27:10 AM »

Like the other posters have stated, you have to be sure that your tone is clean.  This is at least two-fold.  First, the generation of the tone should be pure, without harmonic distortion.  Second, the audio level from you computer, and the sensitivity of the rig have to be adjusted properly to avoid overdriving the rig.  You should adjust the levels/gain such that there is minimal or NO ALC indication on the rig.  If this is done properly, the CW sent this way will be indistiguishable between normal CW-mode transmissions.  You only have to watch your offset.  For example, sending a 700Hz tone using LSB with the rig set to 7.050MHz gives the same result as sending in CW mode on 7.049.3MHz.  Likewise on receiving:  If you want to receive using LSB, tune to 7.050 and listen for a 700Hz tone; in CW mode, tune to 7.049.3 (in both cases, assuming the other station has you zero-beat).

------------------------------------------------------
My YouTube channel...
...ham radio, basic electronics tutorials, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/w2aew
AB7JK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 09:56:42 PM »

Thanks for all the replies - they helped alot. AB7JK
KG4FET

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 08:27:45 AM »

MMVari is NOT the only software that will send CW on SSB though.  You will find that capability in MultiPSK, MixW32, HamScope also.  This are just a short list of multi mode software that offer CW decode and Transmission using a simple interface for your sound card such as you would build for PSK.
GL 73
DE KG4FET Sandor  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: