The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WinPSK problem with IBM Aptiva Computer  (Read 2267 times)
JRFK2

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2005, 03:32:36 PM »

I gave my Dad my Aptiva when I got a newer PC and he uses for his ham radio stuff. He uses WinPSK V 2.09 and TrueTTY V 1.35, but he said he ran into a problem with WinPSk where his frequenency was off, as he explains it:

What you see on the screen of the software program is only about 1500 Hz wide and there can be a dozen or more stations showing on the screen. You put your cursor on the station you want and klick your mouse and that tunes in the station and you can see what he is sending on your screen. When you answer you click the cursor on the REC button on the screen. This then changes to TSG and turns on your transmitter. If your frequency is off by only 10 Hz thats a lot and he will have to retune your signal. When this happened the fellow I was contacting volunteered the info that if I had a Aptive that would be the cause of the problem.

So a I am wondering if anyone knows if there is anything that cane be done to fix this problem on the Aptiva. Would a newer version of WinPSK (if there is one) help ? Hoping we can fix his current computer instead of having to try to get a another one all set up ...
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 07:48:06 PM »

It sounds like there's an offset between TX and RX frequencies. This is more likely caused by your dad's rig than by his computer.

There are soundcard applications that let you compensate for such offsets. Check the online help for the program currently in use. If it doesn't provide RX-TX offset compensation, try WinWarbler which does provide this compensation and is free.

Dave, AA6YQ

#1 DXCC Honor Roll, DXCC Challenge 3000
JRFK2

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 05:19:46 AM »

Thanks for the info Dave.

If it *IS* perhaps something in the PC, could it maybe be the sound card, is that a key component in the use of WinSPK? I vaguely remember that the Aptiva may use some built-in soundcard that IBM used, as opposed to an industry standard add-in one like SoundBlaster. Wondering if maybe adding a different soundcard could help or not ..
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 08:46:17 AM »

If the Aptiva's soundcard was truly "non-standard", then no PSK software would run on it.

The only way to know if the soundcard is at fault is by trying another one.

I fired up WinPSK (2.0.Cool and checked its Settings window, but could not find a control that compensates for RX/TX offsets.

As mentioned before, there is plenty of free software around that provides this feature; such software will solve the problem whether its root cause is the sound card or the transceiver.

Dave, AA6YQ

#1 DXCC Honor Roll, DXCC Challenge 3000
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 08:25:05 AM »

Sounds like the sound card sampling rate may need to be calibrated just a bit.

I am not familiar with WinPSK, but it would be interesting to check the calibration of the sound card's sample rate with another program to see how far off it might be.  MMTTY and MMVari both have really good soundcard calibration screens that use the "tic tic tic" of WWV to determine how accurate your sound card is.  Mine was off by less than 1 ppm, but in Hz that's pretty consistent with what you are seeing.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 04:22:14 AM »

I have a 770Z laptop and an E6U desktop.  Neither one workd well with WinPSK.  My solution was to get a MixW RigExpert and not use the internal soundcards at all.

Dennis KG4RUL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: