The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beckman Tech 300 repair  (Read 17218 times)
WI8P

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2014, 12:37:26 PM »

My trusty old Beckman multi meter has developed a LCD problem that makes it difficult, if not impossible to read the screen.  Since this thing was made 30 years ago, I know I can buy a cheap Chinese knock off meter, but it won't come close to matching this thing for quality and accuracy.  For that, and sentimental reasons, I'd like to restore it but i'm at a loss where I can find a replacement LCD.  Any suggestions?
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 01:34:24 PM »

Contact a-fluke on eBay. 
He runs a large parts business for refurbishing Fluke and other test instruments.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/a-fluke
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 05:33:16 PM »

I have a Fluke 77 that's over 30 years old and a few years ago the display started to lose contrast. Looked like an LCD watch with a weak battery. Light grey digits with a very narrow field of view otherwise they disappeared.

I took the meter apart to find the display was clamped on top of a pair of elastomer connection strips that resembled thick ribbon cables. I removed the clamping plate and cleaned the jumper strip ends and PC board pads with a soft bristle paint brush. It still looks and works like new. If yours is that simple to repair you'll be one happy camper.............   Smiley

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 05:53:11 PM »

I have a Fluke 77 that's over 30 years old and a few years ago the display started to lose contrast. Looked like an LCD watch with a weak battery. Light grey digits with a very narrow field of view otherwise they disappeared.

I took the meter apart to find the display was clamped on top of a pair of elastomer connection strips that resembled thick ribbon cables. I removed the clamping plate and cleaned the jumper strip ends and PC board pads with a soft bristle paint brush. It still looks and works like new. If yours is that simple to repair you'll be one happy camper.............   Smiley

I have seen a few Flukes lose their LCD screens. My company sued to send them back and get them replaced. Made me wonder if they planned the obsolescence.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 07:13:19 AM »

I wish that was the problem - mine has a elongated black spot in the middle of the display that kept growing until it now covers 3/4 of the display.  I'm going to try contacting a-fluke on ebay.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 08:14:59 AM »

Well, I just struck out with a-fluke.  He doesn't carry any parts for the Beckman.   Sad
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 08:27:08 AM »

my Tech 310 actually flaked off two display bars of the LSD a couple of years ago, shake the meter and watch them move.  had gone into it several times over the years to fake a reconnection of the LCD holder after some of the tabs broke off.  they were a very fine meter, and mine has been feeding the worms in the landfill for a while.

Beckman split off the electronic test gear sometime in the late 80s to Emerson, which unceremoniously let the line die shortly thereafter.  somebody else merged up the medical and laboratory section of the company, and I don't think the brand exists any more.

I'd say let it go.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 02:58:19 PM »

my Tech 310 actually flaked off two display bars of the LSD a couple of years ago, shake the meter and watch them move.  had gone into it several times over the years to fake a reconnection of the LCD holder after some of the tabs broke off.  they were a very fine meter, and mine has been feeding the worms in the landfill for a while.

Beckman split off the electronic test gear sometime in the late 80s to Emerson, which unceremoniously let the line die shortly thereafter.  somebody else merged up the medical and laboratory section of the company, and I don't think the brand exists any more.

I'd say let it go.

I got a an Extech True RMS 430 DMM for about $70, and it is great. I would think it is better than the Beckman. I would got the new route.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 04:58:57 PM »

Any schlub can measure volts with a high dollar meter,
but it takes a Real Ham tm to appreciate the subtle charms of a Cen-Tech.........

Available free with coupon at your local Harbor Freight.
"The best gas money you'll ever spend"    Grin

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 06:15:07 PM »

Numitron displays are vacuum fluorescents, low voltage drive, filter to any color you like.  Nixies are high voltage drive, inspired by Ford... any color you want, as long as it's neon orange.
KE7YD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 09:50:05 PM »

Beckman instruments was bought out by Wavetek.  Then Wavetek was bought out by Fluke. It's now www.wavetekmeterman.com which is still owned by fluke.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 10:25:34 AM »

Ha ha - thanks for the suggestions guys.  I have a couple of those Harbor Freight jobs floating around in the garage, along with a nearly new Klein and a Sears multimeter in our camper.  I just wanted to see if I could resurrect this poor Tech 300.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 06:53:07 PM »

that was a very early generation LCD, they hadn't worked out all the bugs.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »

Vinnie,

What is the name of your company? The one where you sell amateur radio equipment?

Frank
K4FMH

I have seen a few Flukes lose their LCD screens. My company sued to send them back and get them replaced. Made me wonder if they planned the obsolescence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: