The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UPS Lousy, Untruthful Tracking and Delivery  (Read 111122 times)
W6EM

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2014, 05:39:09 PM »

We have had some unusually bad weather here, resulting in no UPS deliveries for two days.  I checked early today, and my package had arrived at the distribution center and was logged out for delivery at 8:00AM.  Well, two other packages arrived, but it didn't.  And, when I called them on it, all I heard was a bunch of gibberish from their customer assistant.

The tracking data said that the package was “out for delivery.”  So, I expected to receive it.  At about 6PM, the UPS driver showed up at our home with two packages, but not the one I was waiting for.  So, I checked the tracking information again.  It had been changed during the day to some sort of “weather related system network error.”  Different than what it was earlier.

I phoned the UPS main number and was told, essentially, that all that the times of arrival at and departure from the various distribution centers and the time being sent out for delivery were just phony.  Not scans of my actual package.  I told the assistant that I felt that UPS was lying and that I would not use UPS for shipments again, and that I would share my experience.  So, when I have a choice in shipping in the future, it will not be with UPS.  I’ve waited over a week for something that was supposed to be a three day shipment, and tracked.  When it finally did get to the Birmingham AL distribution center, they lied about its status as an excuse to delay it further. Very poor.

Lee
W6EM
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 06:02:08 PM »

I believe your story, Lee, and I can recall some bad experiences with UPS myself over the years.

However, in our experience, UPS (and any USPS method that has a tracking number) is very reliable. We ship and receive packages every week from UPS, and very seldom have a problem.

It's Federal Express that we have had all the issues with. I don't have time to go into a lot of detail, but just this week we received a package via FedEx that was severely damaged. It looked like it was dropped from a fighter jet at 250 feet traveling at Mach 1.

KG6ABF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 07:06:03 PM »

I absolutely agree UPS is the worst and even after the Postal service delivered a busted up rig to me recently, UPS still is bad.

You get no  where with them and it is futile to get them to admit anything.  They have had a delivery for me on a truck and refused to give it to me because the the shipping party did not pay for express, so hours and in one instance a day later they dropped it off at the end of the day.

If you call even thought UPS has GPS trackers on their trucks will not give you info as to arrival time and you can't meet with the driver for any reason if you ask.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 07:21:57 PM »

... and you can't meet with the driver for any reason if you ask.

Things must be different here. If the UPS truck can't get to our home business because the back roads are too bad in the winter, the UPS driver calls us to make arrangements to meet him on a main road --that has been plowed or salted-- in our 4WD vehicle. FedEx won't do that.

(USPS always seems to get here no matter what the weather. They have 4WD.)

I have no pecuniary interest in UPS. I'm just sharing our experiences from two different QTHs in rural SW Missouri since we moved here in January 2000.

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 02:57:45 AM »

I think what is sometimes is the problem is expectations. UPS is usually very fast. I order lots of parts from Digikey in MN and usually have them in 1 to 2 days. This is with standard delivery.

With that said, standard delivery is not guaranteed to be overnight or even 2 day delivery. That is why they offer those services at premium prices.

In my dealings with UPS, I have found that customer service knows about as much about your package as you do from a tracking report. Unless there is some kind of regional problem, think of Atlanta this past week, customer service tries to give you its best guess as to what is happening based on the same information you see.

As for the changing information in the tracking, at least you are getting fairly up to date information. Again, unless you have paid for premium services, your package may well be on the local delivery truck for more then 1 day. I have seen that several times myself. After speaking with the driver, sometimes the volume of higher priority packages trumps the delivery of the lower priority packages. As much as you can want it right away because tracking says it is out for delivery, that is still not a guarantee it will arrive that day unless you have paid the premium delivery charge.

USPS tracking is pretty much a joke. I bought a radio from a nice gentleman in FL who shipped it in a timely manner. I finally received it in about 2 weeks. The tracking kept saying it was in transit from Tampa. I had the radio for 2 days (after it finally arrived) before the tracking report even updated that it was at my local Post Office. And another day to show it was delivered. Go figure.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 10:24:09 AM »

I love UPS, but I have a great driver.  It wasn't always so.  Years ago, when I was a firearms dealer, I had a driver leave a pistol on my porch despite the red label requiring it be signed for.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 03:07:59 PM »

The problem with UPS these days is like the problem with all too many large companies.  They've got the 'bottom line' experts on their staff ramming through more productivity--without the realization that quality service takes time.  Just look at those driver come the holidays--they're so rushed it's a wonder they don't burn out on a daily basis!
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 07:35:02 PM »

... and you can't meet with the driver for any reason if you ask.

Things must be different here. If the UPS truck can't get to our home business because the back roads are too bad in the winter, the UPS driver calls us to make arrangements to meet him on a main road --that has been plowed or salted-- in our 4WD vehicle. FedEx won't do that.

(USPS always seems to get here no matter what the weather. They have 4WD.)

I have no pecuniary interest in UPS. I'm just sharing our experiences from two different QTHs in rural SW Missouri since we moved here in January 2000.

+1 I rarely have a problem with UPS. I work out of my home and routinely receive equipment deliveries from them. The UPS man comes so often we are on a first name basis. I toss him a little something at the holidays. He really appreciates it and he takes care of me. It's just the price of doing business and being nice to people. People don't usually respond well to pissing, moaning and being accused of lying.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
NK7J

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 01:05:27 PM »

Out here in the boonies UPS is about the only reliable service we have.
I think in the last 10 years I have only had 2  items delivered later than expected with UPS.
Now Fedex... Drivers are too lazy to drive the 20 miles out to our place so they leave the package with someone in town who they ASSUME we know because we share the same last name. Then they mark on the tracking system it was delivered to our residence...
USPS, Tracking a total joke, wont deliver to our house (only to the mailbox 3 miles away)..
Out of the options UPS it is.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 03:57:27 PM »

Yep FedEx takes my packages to the local post office. Then I get no indication from anyone that my packages are even there. And the distance from my door to the post office is about 70 feet. And I wouldn't mind so much if I just knew they were there.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 06:14:27 PM »

I recently ordered an Optibeam antenna, shipped from Germany of course.  It took 48 hrs to get to the
USA.  First stop was Atlanta, then Fort Worth, TX.   Then back to Atlanta.  Three days ago it showed up at the hub 20 miles away,  the webpage said it was scheduled for delivery that day.  Well, the UPS truck showed up at 11:00 am.  He stopped in the driveway, and sat for about 5 minutes, then drove off.   The driver never got out of the truck.   Checking the webpage showed he scanned at 11:03, noting the package was "on hand at destination" or something like that.   Later, the webpage showed it was scheduled for delivery the next day.   Again, the truck never showed up, but the package was scanned at 10:45 AM that day saying it was "held in customs".   Webpage now shows it scheduled for delivery tomorrow,  I'm not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 06:17:23 PM by WB4M » Logged
N0JYC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 11:19:46 PM »

Yesterday I received a call from UPS re: their investigation (instigated by me) 30 days ago into the WB6VHH scam as reported in the Buyer Beware Forum elsewhere on this page.  They asked if I had received my pkg yet.  I told them no, and they should know it was never sent even though they issued a tracking number.  I told them it was all part of a large scam and that they were sent other correspondence on this.  Also, told them I had been refunded by Paypal a week ago. Then she wants to know if they can put me in touch with the sender.  I told them - good luck -  he stopped communicating with the 15 or so of us that he scammed -- I told them he sold 1 item, the same item, to 12 different people and generated tracking numbers to all of them.  Its like she wasn't hearing me.  "Well, we'll keep investigating and let you know."  Let me know what?  UPS == Totally worthless!
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 11:47:49 PM »

UPS == Totally worthless!

Okay. So how should we ship our stuff then?

KD5FLN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 03:35:14 AM »

In the past 3 months this happned to me twice already.... I would be home in my small apartment waiting for a package that was out for delivery, and I would sit and twiddle my thumbs all day, nothing, no one.... and yet when I check online the tracking info would update and say, Cust not available, 1st del attempt made.... wtf?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 05:43:45 AM »

Sounds like you might have a delivery employee who scams the system by marking "customer unavailable" while he takes a coffee break.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: