The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UPS Lousy, Untruthful Tracking and Delivery  (Read 111128 times)
W8CWM

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2015, 04:49:04 AM »

I must have the best delivery drivers in the world, as my deliveries always match my tracking info. Fedex recently delivered a package that the box was damaged and the driver stayed while I opened it for inspection. It seemed OK but he marked it damaged packaging on his machine. We get multiple packages a week shipped all three ways with no problems. 
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 04:36:51 PM »

It is like we are all picking the lesser of three evils: USPS, UPS and FedEx. 

One thing for sure, don't expect to ever get a claim from USPS.  Just Google it.  It appears that they are not fulfilling their insurance contracts and are basically telling the customer: "Up yours."  They are a government entity and cannot be sued at any level, according to attorneys and other sources.

And USPS's overseas rates are no longer affordable.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 08:07:07 PM »

It's just the way things are in today's "I want it on my doorstep now, and inexpensively" world.  Internet purchases driven, mostly.  For the numbers of packages they handle daily, the service that especially UPS and FedEx provide is actually pretty darn good, and there's nothing on the planet that even comes close.  Anecdotes of problems get passed around and written about (eg. here), but it's precisely the case of anything in modern retailing or service industry.... get good service and you might tell someone, get poor service and you'll tell ten people.  It's absolutely the case with ham radio customers.  Both companies do figure in a certain amount of damage or non-performance loss because they have to....they simply couldn't function and provide perfect performance economically.  Nobody likes issues when they happen to them personally, and it might not seem like it after reading threads like this one, but they're anecdotal and not pervasive.  They simply couldn't stay in business if they were that bad as some insist.
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2015, 01:09:53 PM »

I use to feel the same way as you do, K9MHZ.  However, when I started doing the numbers on my own experiences as a small business that doesn't even have a fraction of the volume of an Amazon, I have to assume that there are issues with 20% of today's USPS mail.

The saddest incident I had was an antique Grundig shortwave radio purchased by a fella 150 miles or so to the north of me.  Gas prices were high, the winter weather was bad... so we decided... ah what the heck.  Let's just ship it.  What could happen in 150 miles? 

Well A LOT happened!  Double boxed and surrounded with old quilts and other packing material, it almost appeared as if something drove over it. (Perhaps a postal truck or fork lift?)

I could name incident after incident in my 25 plus years.  However, I must say, it is worse today than at first.  And maybe because the good ol' fashion American work ethic has changed to just "putting in your time."

BTW, in a town not far from here and our county seat (Jackson, MI)... not just once but TWICE... postal carriers were caught not delivering their mail and hiding it or storing it! (A la Newman on Seinfeld!) One stashed his mail route bags on top of some beams underneath a downtown river bridge.  The others were a COUPLE!  BOTH were carriers and rented a separate apartment for their mail storage!  They would go through the mail and look for cash, credit cards, gift cards, etc.
N7NSL

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2015, 04:01:48 PM »

My experience with UPS over the years has been great!  Maybe it's the small town we live in, but the drivers have always been beyond courteous.  The latest one, over the last several years, even leaves a dog biscuit for our dog!!
Packages don't always get delivered on time, but it's always pretty close.

Ted, N7NSL
K6SBA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 06:32:38 PM »

Over the years, I have had extraordinarily good service from UPS, FedEx and USPS.  USPS Priority Mail and FedEx ground are still reasonable price wise.  I do live on a residential street with no delivery challenges.  The local UPS driver is a super guy who is very pleasant to deal with.  My local postal carrier is also great.  I know that USPS has many financial challenges, but could you imagine your life without daily delivery from the Post Office?

The only damaged product (a badly damaged FT100MP MKV) I had was delivered by UPS.  The problem was that the packager (a well known radio repair shop in South Dakota) did a really lousy job of packing the radio.  Perhaps UPS should not have accepted the radio as packaged in the first place.

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara, CA
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 08:15:32 PM »

Good video from CNBC.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZu_gxi3sbs
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2015, 09:40:50 AM »

I wonder how many hams who spend time bitchin' and bellyachin' about lousy UPS or FedEx service have ever taken the time to write a letter to the CEO or president of these companies CALMLY AND RATIONALLY setting forth the details of their complaint AND DOCUMENTING THOSE DETAILS.

Probably none.  Once "HAM RAGE" takes over, rationality flies out the window.

IF YOU WANT BETTER SERVICE, LEARN TO COMPLAIN EFFECTIVELY!

IF YOU DON'T, YOU'LL BE STUCK WITH LOUSY SERVICE!

N9LCD
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: