The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRD/DM780 and controlling two different rigs...  (Read 6075 times)
WA9MNF

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:16:42 AM »

Hi...

I want to use HRD/DM780 to control two different rigs: 1, an Icom and the other a Yaesu. The way I'm doing it now is having to change soundcard in/out and keying options when I change radios. I use a Signalink with the Icom and a Donner interface with the Yaesu. Can I start up HRD possibly each in a different file or on a different partition on a hard drive without causing any interaction causing problems?

Thanks

Ed
VE3PP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 10:38:28 AM »

I tried running two SignaLink USB units on two different radios with DM780. No go, mainly because the software did not recognize the two different comports that the SignaLink's were using.

Now maybe it is possible to use a second application of HRD/DM780 for your second rig. I never tried that, but it might work.
AJ4WC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 10:42:03 AM »

My radios show up as different comm ports.  I think if you run two independent instances of DM780, using the different comm port settings for each radio, it would work.  I haven't tried it personally, but I know it's supposed to work.
KE5GAE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 06:47:52 AM »

Maybe not the solution you are looking for, but I have two rigs, each controlled by a different computer.  One (FT-857D) uses a SignaLink USB, and the other (TS-480SAT) uses a direct cable connection.  Both use HRD, but only the FT-857D/SignaLink USB is running DM780.  The TS-480SAT runs WSJT-X.  Each radio has its own antenna, so I can monitor both PSK and JT bands at the same time.  I used an older XP machine for the TS-480SAT and that is all it is used for.  My "main" computer (which has three times as much memory as the older machine) is used to run the FT-857D, as well as everything else I do computer-wise.

Basil
KE5GAE
WA9MNF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 11:04:04 AM »

Hi...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I managed to find an old XP computer in my shop and I will use that to control the FT 857D and my current computer for the Icom 746 PRO.. I only have one monitor so will have to pick up a KVM switch to switch the monitor, mouse and keyboard from one computer to another.

Ed
KE5GAE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 08:00:13 PM »

A single monitor with a KVM is okay if you don't plan on operating both radios at the same time.  But these days, decent monitors are not particularly expensive.  I have three monitors in use, with two on one computer (connected to the FT-857D), the main computer that gets used for more than just rig control, and then another monitor for the other computer (connected to the TS-480SAT).  Dual monitors are real nice for working a rig while having access to the internet: keep DM780 up on the second monitor, and then use the first monitor for everything else.  Actually, as I type this, with eHam.net on one monitor, I have DM780 on a second monitor, and WSJT-X on the third.  I can check QRZ, eHam, propagation and spotter sites, etc. while watching waterfalls on two other monitors.  It is a nice blend of radio and computer technology.

Basil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: