The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AC5UP ?  (Read 17414 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2014, 01:07:13 PM »

Anyone heard from Nelson? He PM'd me saying he was not feeling all that great. He has not posted since March 9. I am concerned.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »

PMed listed phone number.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 06:27:17 PM »

Awwwwwwwww, Vinnie is my concern buddy...........

I had an issue, it was fixed, feeling fine, nothing more to say.  To paraphrase Samuel Clements: Your suspicion of my demise is greatly exaggerated.

Don't worry. You're in the will for my collection of Tektronix control knobs. The good kind from the 500 series with brass inserts and set crews. I hope you like dove gray, it's such a warm and vibrant color.

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 05:19:29 AM »

Awwwwwwwww, Vinnie is my concern buddy...........

I had an issue, it was fixed, feeling fine, nothing more to say.  To paraphrase Samuel Clements: Your suspicion of my demise is greatly exaggerated.

Don't worry. You're in the will for my collection of Tektronix control knobs. The good kind from the 500 series with brass inserts and set crews. I hope you like dove gray, it's such a warm and vibrant color.

Smiley
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 08:47:43 AM »

5UP:  Glad to hear that your "issue" was fixed.  Since your Tektronics knob collection seems to be "spoken for," I'd like to be in your will for your Heathkit collection.   Roll Eyes

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 04:35:31 PM »

Mixed feelings about the story......... On one hand what I thought was going to be a big deal turned out to be a routine procedure with a short healing curve. On the other, the story could have had a much different ending had I waited a few more days. I was very lucky that I went in when I did.

In a nutshell, I've been dragging since maybe last September. No energy, no stamina, tired all the time and retaining way too much water in my legs. Toward January I was seeing discoloration in my legs that told me it was doctor time. Made an appointment on February 13th and after a few tests was told that what I have is very treatable and starts with a pacemaker that goes in muy pronto. The call was in with the ER across the parking lot and they were waiting for me. About 2 1/2 hours later I was coming out of the anesthesia and my toes were pink again. Total plug & play with off the shelf parts. I went from 35 beats per minute back to 60 and was later told that I was within a few days of a 911 event. Doc still can't figure how I was able to walk in for the appointment. Congestive heart failure with the top & bottom sections no longer in synch. All I needed was the basic two wire pacemaker to keep the moving parts in time and that was fine by me. I figure the simpler the better in terms of service life and reliability.

So far the pacemaker works like champ. Fast reversal of all symptoms with no evidence of any permanent damage. Even the scar is well on its way toward disappearing. Apparently the plumbing is still good, just needed to dance to the beat of a different drummer.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 06:17:26 PM »

always good news.  I've got half a battleship of stents in me and I'm chugging right along.  that's almost a drive-in by now... "open the door, stick your right leg out, turn your head and cough, pay at the second window." costs a lot more than a Big Mac, but stays with you longer.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 06:22:28 PM »

5UP:  Hey man....glad you knew when to fold 'em.  My wife had congestive heart failure a couple times....which is scary.... finally had to get a pacemaker because of A-fib.  She just had her first one replaced after 8 years of service.

From what I understand the biggest problem is dealing with the psychological aspects of having a pacer.  Let me assure you, it's not only "plug n' play" but it's also P n' P and Forget It!  If and when you research these things, you'll find that they're amazing.

Thanks for the SitRep.

GL

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 11:18:33 AM »

Nelson,

Did you get one with a transceiver inside? A lot of them do have that now for remote reading and ease of programming - most work in the 402 - 405 MHz band.

Anyway, glad you're 'firing on all cylinders' now.

vy 73

Peter G3RZP
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 03:56:08 PM »

Did you get one with a transceiver inside?

Absolutely......... Day after I got it a nice lady showed up with a laptop and Linksys wireless hub to have a little chat with the device. I've had three diagnostics so far and part of the deal is a home terminal that plugs into a standard phone line. Keep it near my bed, at night the terminal downloads recent data from the device and forwards it to a toll free number. I'm told if an adjustment is needed the terminal can upload and execute the new settings auto-magically. If all goes as intended this is way cool, not so cool if it needs a Ctl-Alt-Del 'cuz there is no keyboard. I've met a few people with experience and so far it has all been positive. The whole idea of the constant monitoring is to avoid any surprises and extend the battery life by running the lowest reliable pulse voltage / current.

The only snooping I've done so far is to hold an AM radio next to it and listen for CPU hash...... Stone cold quiet.  Now I'm thinking I should give my freq counter a hug to see if I'm throwing a carrier.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 07:37:40 PM »

Or you could fire up your linear and see if it causes you to flop around on the floor like a fish.......

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 10:11:26 PM »

If it's a St Jude or a Medtronics, I was involved with the transceiver design  before I retired......I chaired the European standards committee on Wireless  Medical Applications, too, writing standards for them.

Pacemakers themselves are required to be immune to 10V/m, and the radio to 3 V/m above 80 MHz. Below 80 MHz, to an induced current of 30mA, so you'll need a darn big amplifier to upset it!

It's a pity that Heathkit didn't produce one.....

Peter G3RZP
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 07:24:00 AM »

Peter:  Where was you when I was asking questions about my wife's newly acquired pacemaker?  I researched the RF immunity thing until it simply wore me out.  Trying to get information like this from the manufacturer was another exercise in futility.

However, 9 years after the fact I now have this info and will file it.  Many thanks.

I agree that it would have been great for Heathkit to have made a pacemaker.  Can you imagine Nelson's angst when he woke up and found that he had a Heathshit pacemaker installed?   LOLROFLMAO!!!

Sorry Nelson.... it really isn't a funny subject but if pacemaker use wasn't so commonplace and dependable these days this thread wouldn't have taken this turn. 

I had a hellova time convincing my wife she was going to be OK and that there wasn't any need for doom and gloom.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 01:14:55 PM »

I would think the green paint on a Heath pacemaker would be an issue.

not to mention the ElMenco tubes...
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 08:08:29 PM »

Well, green paint or no..... the great thing would be he could service it himself....assuming he had the assembly manual.  If not he could always download it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: