The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: drake t-4x mystery pot  (Read 4948 times)
KI4DTB

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2014, 06:09:25 PM »

Hi.  I recently bought a drake r-4a t-4x pair.  The serial number on the t-4x is 12225, and I think it was probably purchased at the same time as the r-4a.  I have been doing tune ups and needed repairs.  On the t-4x on the rear panel of the chassis between the key jack and the side panel and directly in line behind the carrier balance control is about a 1 inch shaft  from a potentiometer mounted inside underneath the chassis and thru the rear panel.  I have searched my copy of the owners manual for an earlier t-4x, and there is no mention of this pot.  It does not appear in the rear panel photo, or in the theory of operations, or in the  lists of controls or adjustments, or in the pictorials.  My friends earlier  t-4x does not have such a pot.  The wiring, placement, and looks of  this control all look like a part of the  factory wiring, and not  someone's add on mod.  Does anyone else have one of these?  Or could anyone tell me what the function of this is and how to properly adjust it?  I am not a knob  twister, and am reluctant to disturb the current setting without knowing first what I am doing.  Thanks and 73.  Doug
WD8AJY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:05:47 AM »

It might be the VOX Delay  go to www.wb4hfn.com/DRAKE/ and go to picture gallery
KI4DTB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:57:11 AM »

Thank you much for the info.  From the pictures it looks like it is the vox delay.  Does anyone know how this should be adjusted?  Or if there is a later manual or service manual that includes this that can be downloaded?  Again thank you.  Doug
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »

Vox delay sets the amount of time that the transmitter remains keyed after you stop talking into the microphone. Adjustment is personal preference, typically 1 to 2 seconds perhaps.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »

From your call it looks as if you are kinda new to ham radio.  If so, welcome.  In case you do not know VOX means you can just speak into the mic without physically pushing the push-to-talk switch and the transmitter will automatically go into the transmit mode.  VOX DELAY means the amount of time the transmitter stays keyed after you stop talking.  Typically you adjust the VOX delay pot so the transmitter does not drop out between words but drops out soon (one to two seconds) after you finish transmitting.

I apologize if you already know this.  Some newbies don't.  I didn't when I got into ham radio in the 1960's.

Dick  AD4U
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 04:32:44 PM »

It also applies to CW. Adjust to prevent transmitter from dropping out between CW word or sentence spacing.
KI4DTB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:07:09 AM »

Thank you everybody.  You have helped out a lot.  73 all.  doug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: