The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AC5UP ?  (Read 17468 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 09:28:36 AM »

The problem in building one from a kit would be doing the electron beam welding of the titanium case after assembly and test.....

The EMC requirements are in a set of ISO standards: in Europe, they become ENs (for European Norm), and EN60601 is one of the applicable ones. The radios themselves have much simpler EMC requirements.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 08:40:13 PM »

Roll Eyes  I think there would be more than one problem building one from a kit Peter.  Those who have been forced to undergo this procedure are very fortunate to have the technology that we presently have.

My wife goes to her cardiologist every 6 months and they download how the pacer and her symptoms have been doing during this period.  The whole thing is nothing but mind blowing!

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 02:02:34 AM »

The first pacemaker - a bit over 50 years ago - was made with discrete components and potted in epoxy resin using a shoe polish tin as a mould! It failed after 24 hours, but they had a spare. The recipient got through several pacemakers in the next 40+ years before he died of old age...
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 07:13:40 AM »

That sounds like the first man-made heart.  Very similar results.

I wish I had kept the cartoon of a man in a hospital bed with a huge 'grandfather clock" key sticking out of his chest.  The Cardiologist is telling him that "is all his health care plan would pay for."

Even though pacer technology had improved by leaps and bounds the manufacturers are still reluctant to provide RF interference guidelines for people like us....hams running linears.  The damn lawyers has everyone cowering behind a rock.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 07:28:06 AM »

the myriad problems with pacer leads breaking, shedding insulation, and working their way out of the heart are why we have more lawyers per square mile in the Twin Cities (home of the big 3 pacemaker companies and birthplace at the U of M of the technology) than any place outside downtown Boston or New York.

they may have regular poker sessions at which they trade cases over the table, but I jest.

(no, I don't.)

anyway, first time you try loading the eagle roaster into a long wire, have somebody in the shack just in case.  if that turns out OK, stop worrying.

and the leadless generation of pacers has just gotten on the market, so retraining grants for lawyers who need to learn how to do real work are probably coming around real soon now.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 07:46:42 AM »

The interesting thing is that the manufacturers won't say what their EMC specs are, but it's laid down  in international standards the levels they have to meet. Having said which, I know one of the big manufacturers has been talking internally of requiring their product to be immune to a level which would exceed the ICNIRP safety level for the user.

As KD0REQ says, the problem is the lawyers, closely followed as a problem by the politicians.
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 10:22:16 AM »

Are all the pacemakers guaranteed for life?

klc

EXTRALight  1/3 less WPM than a Real EXTRA
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 05:10:31 PM »

That's the warranty on the heart they're connected to.

All I know is that I made it past the first month without doing something stupid enough to pull out a wire so there's a fair chance they're mostly anchored. The past two days I've been lifting and loading bags of soil amendments in anticipation of re-doing the front yard landscaping and it's AMAZING how much more strength & stamina I have. I know I shouldn't push too hard too fast, but sloth won't do me much good as a long term health care strategy and at least congestive heart failure isn't 100% fatal like old age. Then I realize....... Tick, tock, procrastination is not my friend.

BTW: You folks do understand the Heathshkit jokes just encourage a one-up, but there is the possibility if I ever decide to home-brew a pacer I'd go the Gilligan's Island route like The Professor would. Hollow out a shark tooth then develop the first coconut-ion battery pack. Sure, an Altoids tin would be the better choice, but who wants an armpit with a fragrance that's curiously strong?

Note to G3RZP:  I got the St. Jude flavor.  Wanted the Richard B Cheney pure evil autographed model but they're currently fetching premium prices in Southern Russia.   Tongue

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 05:59:18 PM »

Nelson:  Good to hear that you're doing so well and feeling so much better.  It's also good to see that you've maintained your sense of humor.  Of course you're right about the Heathkit jokes..... 

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 06:27:51 PM »

I believe warranties are on the order of battery life, which these days is about 10 years on some models, 5 on others, with stern notice that you need to see your interventionist regularly to check on function.

a "lifetime" warranty... to the user... probably means squat. re: lifetime-lubricated motors...
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 07:23:03 PM »

A few years back one of my neighbors re-landscaped their side yard into something they called " Virtual New Jersey ".........

It was quite imaginative. Cost a fortune in Dioxin alone, but I think it was worth it. Only yard in the neighborhood where if the dog took a dump it improved the appearance.

I'm thinking about my own " Virtual Benton Harbor ". You know, a special place where if the dog takes a dump I can paint it green and sell it at a Ham Fest.    Grin

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 12:03:36 AM »

Provided you don't get lead problems, the life is an average of ten years before the battery runs down. But if there is a low demand on the battery, it can be as long as 20 years, although that is very rare, and it can be down at 5 years - again, that is very rare. Devices with a defibrillator can last a very long time if the defibrillating function doesn't get used - they have quite big batteries for an inverter to charge a capacitor up to anything between 600 and 1200 volts. The SJM devices use a 'wake up' transmission in the 2.4GHz band, and that was designed to work under the ETSI standard EN300 328 for Wide Band Wireless Data Transmission (WLAN), the original version of which I worked on in 1993. The latest version of that standard tightened up considerably on the spectrum access methods and I had to work quite hard at ETSI to get an exception made for SJM pacemakers to have reverse compatibility right out past 2024 because of the chance of such a thing happening.

The 402 - 405 MHz rx in your pacemaker, Nelson,  is a low IF image rejecting rx using a chip from Zarlink, which is now Microsemi. I spent a lot of time going to Sweden in the first few years of this century working on the systems design of it - detailed circuit design was done in Jarfalla, just north of Stockholm, and also in Zelinograd, outside Moscow, by a sub-contract design house. The SJM group we were working with were also in Jarfalla (actually it is Veddesta, but the commune is Jarfalla) - they were shut down a couple of years ago. The Zarlink facility there  shut down shortly after, and it pulled back to San Diego: the senior management there has left, too. I was 'lent' to Zarlink's medical products group for 3 days in 2002, which turned into eleven and a half years...

One interesting point about pacemakers is a demonstration of the total idiocy of EU bureaucracy. They wanted all radio equipment to be capable of being placed in a 'test mode' so that compliance to the various Directives could be measured. Because of 'commercial security',  details of how this could be done would be kept on a 'secure' (sic!) website accessible by the enforcement authorities of the 27 EU countries.........When it was pointed out that doing so would mean that anyone with a pacemaker could have it maliciously  turned on into 'test mode' and left there for the battery to run down, they said that was not their concern.......

G4FUT

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 08:30:37 AM »

5UP, Internal transmitter in 400MHz range.. EH?  I wonder of you can set off the car alarms as you walk past !
Seriously, glad you're back and in fine fettle, though I know the initial knowledge of the problem can come as quite a shock to you.

Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 08:07:46 AM »

I wish I had kept the cartoon of a man in a hospital bed with a huge 'grandfather clock" key sticking out of his chest.  The Cardiologist is telling him that "is all his health care plan would pay for."

Whups!  Wrong caption quote:  Did find the cartoon though. 

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:15:40 AM by K8AXW » Logged

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 04:53:44 PM »

Laugh all you want, but the truth is I wanted a steam powered pacer.

More than just heartbeat regulation, the steam pacemaker removes unsightly age wrinkles too!

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: