The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Linux version for ham radio applications?  (Read 39965 times)
WS4T

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2014, 03:53:26 AM »

I know this has probably been discussed a lot, so somebody please point me to the right thread. I did some searching of this site via Google but didn't come to any solid conclusion yet.

I've got an old Windows XP machine I use only for radio stuff and I want to switch it to Linux. I'm experienced with running Centos-based servers on the command line but I assume that is not the best choice. I use Ubuntu in a VM on my main work computer (Windows 7) so that is an obvious choice since it's familiar, but I also wonder if anybody has experience with Lubtuntu (a lightweight version of Ubuntu)?

The computer in question is fairly resource-limited (especially RAM) and at this point I don't want to throw any money into it. My main application is logging and I currently use N1MM, but I am willing to adapt to a native Linux logging program. I also do digital modes occasionally.

Any thoughts (or good links)?
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 05:20:11 AM »

KB1OIQ - Andy's Ham Radio Linux

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kb1oiq-andysham/

Description

"This is a remastered version of Ubuntu Linux. As of version 13, there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions available, as well as an image for the PengPod 1000.

This version contains a lot of amateur radio software including Fldigi, NBEMS, Gpredict, earthtrack, xcwcp and qrq, XLog and cqrlog, flrig and grig, xnec2c, fl_moxgen, aa-analyzer, owx, VOACAP, glfer, Xastir, gqrx, gEDA, and more!

Version 14 adds GNU Radio Companion, quisk, direwolf, linamc, FreeDV, wsjt-x, and Micro-Fox 15 Config (GPL), and many updates.

This software collection uses the icewm window manager with menus customized for Amateur Radio use. It is designed to be light weight to run on older computers, while still having modern functionality.

Recommending 1GHz CPU and 512MB memory at an absolute bare minimum (gqrx will require more - about twice as much)."

"Features

Live DVD which can be installed to the hard drive or USB thumb drive
    icewm window manager
    Contains a large number of amateur radio programs
    Amateur Radio menu customized for ease of use
    Nothing proprietary (as far as I know)
    Almost everything came directly from the Ubuntu repositories
    Software defined radio receiver with RTL2832 USB dongle (originally intended for DVB-TV)
    PengPod 1000 image is to be written directly to your microSD card
    Micro-Fox Config GPL
    GNU Radio Companion
    FreeDV"

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 08:28:59 AM »

I know this has probably been discussed a lot, so somebody please point me to the right thread. I did some searching of this site via Google but didn't come to any solid conclusion yet.

I've got an old Windows XP machine I use only for radio stuff and I want to switch it to Linux. I'm experienced with running Centos-based servers on the command line but I assume that is not the best choice. I use Ubuntu in a VM on my main work computer (Windows 7) so that is an obvious choice since it's familiar, but I also wonder if anybody has experience with Lubtuntu (a lightweight version of Ubuntu)?

The computer in question is fairly resource-limited (especially RAM) and at this point I don't want to throw any money into it. My main application is logging and I currently use N1MM, but I am willing to adapt to a native Linux logging program. I also do digital modes occasionally.

Any thoughts (or good links)?

I would recommend any LTS version of Ubuntu or derivatives; particularly Linux Mint.  Add the ham radio PPA (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-hams-updates/+archive/ppa) and you'll be good to go for almost everything you need.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
KE6TDP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 06:40:31 PM »

The computer in question is fairly resource-limited (especially RAM) ...
You did not say, how much ram was installed.  I was able to improve performance significantly on a relatively old computer running Ubuntu by increasing the installed memory to the max allowed by the motherboard and increasing the swap space.

Use the (Linux/Ubuntu) system monitor utility to see how much memory and swap space is being used. Hopefully memory usage is below 50% and the swap space usage is close to 0%.
N7IOH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:59:03 AM »

Another light weight that is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is elementary OS  http://elementaryos.org/ .  Anything that runs on Ubuntu should works on elementary OS.  This is really light and works on 32 & 64 bit computers.  They recommend a minimum of 1GHz processor, 512 megs ram and only 5 GHz hard drive space.  I would think using it only for ham radio you could get by with a lot less.  There are several Youtube videos showing the newest Luna version that will give you a good idea of the system.  They have done a lot to keep it light but I honestly did not like some of the apps that came with is so I chanced them.  I went with Firefox and dropped Midori and added Thunderbird and dropped Geary.  If you are only using it for ham radio you may not need some of the apps that comes with it. 

Al, n7ioh
Payson, AZ
K4TFJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 11:27:46 AM »

Most of the ham radio applications can be installed on any Linux distribution. With that said, I just installed Mint 16 on both a laptop and a desktop with amazing results.  Now I just have to decide between all the programs that are available.

73, TJ - K4TFJ
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 05:29:58 PM »

Can somebody help me get a cd/dvd or usb flash drive for Mint 16 or Andy's Ham Radio Linux?
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 07:54:23 PM »

If you have a CD/DVD burner in your computer, download ImgBurn (a free burning software) at www.imgburn.com, then go to the Linux Mint website, select a download server, and download the ISO image of Mint 16 Cinnamon, Mate, or whatever you wish.  Use ImgBurn to burn the ISO onto your optical media.  The optical media will be self-booting... assuming you have your optical drive set to boot before hard drive... and you can use Linux Mint 16 as a live distribution.  You can install it to you hard drive directly from the desktop, as there's an install icon... just click on it and it will install the OS.

Don W9CW
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 08:37:27 PM »

W9CW - I downloaded imburn and burned both Andy Ham Radio Linux and Mint to separate dvd's.  Ham Radio Linux give me an error about a driver and said to go to wireless.kernel.com.  That website does not exist.  Neither version recognized my Wi-Fi.  Both would not work.  Any suggestions?  I am using a HP Mini 110 netbook with 2 gig ram, 1 gig processor and usb cd/dvd drive.  Any suggestions?
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 06:11:54 AM »

W9CW - I downloaded imburn and burned both Andy Ham Radio Linux and Mint to separate dvd's.  Ham Radio Linux give me an error about a driver and said to go to wireless.kernel.com.  That website does not exist.  Neither version recognized my Wi-Fi.  Both would not work.  Any suggestions?  I am using a HP Mini 110 netbook with 2 gig ram, 1 gig processor and usb cd/dvd drive.  Any suggestions?

Here is a thread on how the sound card issue was fixed, it might help with the driver too.

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,93167.msg718790.html#msg718790

"In the Release Notes in main menu Documentation there are the hints on how to solve most issues.
As for the sound card issue I did as follow

After hard drive installation
  - added my user to the group netdev (adduser <user> netdev) via the terminal
  - added my user  to the group audio (adduser <user> audio) via the terminal
  - reboot
  - aplay -l via the terminal
  - the error message had gone away and the sound cards was then detected

There are some instructions to be done via the terminal but it works. The OS is very light compared to standard OS. Kubuntu is much nicer and user friendly but this has all ham software selected and installed. "

Here is the entire thread including a post from Andy of 'Andy's Ham Radio Linux'

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,93167.0.html

Andy's response.

"KB1OIQ

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore

RE: The best ham sofware in Linux
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 01:28:39 AM »

Reply with quoteQuote

Thank you, everybody, for trying Andy's Ham Radio Linux!  The software collection was intended to be a starting point to get people going with Linux and ham radio.  For those less experienced with Linux, one may need to find a Linux elmer to help.  Linux is extremely configurable but indeed there is a learning curve, just like the one you climbed while learning to use your first radio, or the first year or two of using Windoze/Mac/Android/whatever.  Be patient and you will be rewarded!

Many thanks to those that actually read the documentation!  You'd be surprised how many questions I receive that are already answered in those pages.

For those that don't care for the icewm window manager, it is rather easy to install any other window manager.  Tinkering is highly encouraged!

As with all software collections, somebody is bound to have the computer from Hell that just won't work.  If that is your situation, I am truly sorry.  If standard Ubuntu works on your computer, then Andy's Ham Radio Linux should also work equally well, but then again, these are computers we're discussing.  :-)

Have a lot of fun, and 73!

Andy (from Andy's Ham Radio Linux)
KB1OIQ"

If any of this helps (or doesn't) let us know.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 06:38:28 PM »

Just to encourage others, this afternoon I installed Linux Mint as dual boot with XP on my Asus AspireOne netbook (model ZG5, manufactured 0810). I followed the instructions in the User Manual and it was absolutely painless Grin

It allows you to drag an onscreen slider to define how much disk space you want allocated to each OS and correctly warns you that it takes a while to move things around on the disk.  In my case it took twenty minutes or so.

Once installed, later on I had trouble sharing on the home network as the Acer was set up for a network name of "Workgroup" and I don't remember being asked to input a name while it was installing but maybe I missed it. Quick google led me to edit smb.conf to the name I use so all is well now.

I figured the Netbook was a good candidate to start with because many were offered with Linux when they first came out so I was thinking there shouldn't be much in the way of hardware issues, and there weren't.

Good luck !
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:58:10 PM by N5PG » Logged
KB1OIQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 05:43:08 PM »

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for trying "Andy's Ham Radio Linux".  I hope it works for you, but like any computer software, there are bound to be issues.  I am in the process of creating and releasing version 16 which will be based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

For more updates, please take a look at the discussion forum on SourceForge, specifically this note about version 16:
http://sourceforge.net/p/kb1oiq-andysham/discussion/1789006/thread/983109ec/

Have a lot of fun, and 73,

Andy
KB1OIQ
ON3NAD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 02:06:45 AM »

looking to use an old laptop for this purpose.
any updates on using a standard linux versus version 16 which will be based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.?
ON3NAD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 02:45:51 AM »

ok , downloaded the latest version of andy's soft but the burn process errors out....
tried another soft , same error .... seems a no go

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 03:01:12 AM by ON3NAD » Logged
K7RJB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 05:29:08 PM »

ok , downloaded the latest version of andy's soft but the burn process errors out....
tried another soft , same error .... seems a no go

Is there an option to buy a CD?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: