The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-590s New and Improved?  (Read 61464 times)
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 10:14:06 PM »

ZENKI, I think you addressed this once before on the SDR eham forum, but I can't find it.  For my benefit (fading memory with age), would you please explain why a 50V power supply is better for a rig?  I saw something about IMD on another post, but no details.

An enquiring mind (me) wants to know.  Thanks.

Mark, WD4ELG
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 07:55:10 AM »

ZENKI, I think you addressed this once before on the SDR eham forum, but I can't find it.  For my benefit (fading memory with age), would you please explain why a 50V power supply is better for a rig?  I saw something about IMD on another post, but no details.

An enquiring mind (me) wants to know.  Thanks.

Mark, WD4ELG

One reason is more voltage swing within the linear region of their characteristic curves than the 12 V devices.  Higher voltage devices also tend to have more linear characteristics for other physical reasons also.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 01:25:42 PM »

I assume the free Kenwood fix applies to original owners only?

Don't know for sure.

But it's not a warranty repair; they're doing it for out-of-warranty '590's and they don't require sending a purchase receipt with the rig.

Perhaps you can just call one of the service centers and ask.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 05:01:59 PM »

A smarter move from Kenwood would be to stop making the TS590S.

The TS590S has  such a good receiver  its shame it has such a lousy 12  volt PA with such poor IMD. The PA brings this radio down to the cheap and nasty level.

You may want to re-think your opinions and show facts after reading this thread:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,98790.0.html

Stan K9IUQ
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 06:12:04 PM »

A smarter move from Kenwood would be to stop making the TS590S.

The TS590S has  such a good receiver  its shame it has such a lousy 12  volt PA with such poor IMD. The PA brings this radio down to the cheap and nasty level.

You may want to re-think your opinions and show facts after reading this thread:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,98790.0.html

Stan K9IUQ

If I'm reading that material correctly, it appears that the '590 compares favorably (considering the price difference) with the K3 ... which appears to be the best of the bunch.

W2BLC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 04:45:04 AM »

In the realm of armchair rag chew 75 meter operating: Both the K3s and the 590s sound great on the air - first hand experience. 590s receive as well as the K3s - second hand experience.

Why do I have a K3? I wanted a very smooth operating HF station - hence, have the solid state amp, auto-tuner to match, and the P3 display. It is like having a 500 Watt station - everything is interconnected and operates without flaw.

Could this have been done with a 590? Yes - with an Ameritron solid state amp and an MFJ auto-tuner. I would have missed out on the display, but that really is not needed - just frosting on the cake. The end result would have been a station quite equal to the K3 - for about half the price of the K3 station (without the display). Remember - everything is extra on the K3 - the internal tuner, SWL mod, boards for extra antenna, various filters, and even the hand mic. The 590 is fully equipped right out of the box.

If you are going barefoot and have no plans for an amplifier or display - here is the breakdown:
My K3 (single RX, SWL board, narrow SSB and a CW filters, auto-tuner board, dual antenna board, hand mic) slightly over $3700
A 590 (out of the box ready to do everything the above K3 is equipped to do is about $1270

I have no doubt whatsoever that I would be just as pleased with the 590 as with the K3 - perhaps more so (knowing I had saved a bunch of $$$).
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 05:10:35 AM »

I would have missed out on the display, but that really is not needed - just frosting on the cake.

NO need to miss out on a beautiful display with the TS-590s. It requires a QS1R and as a bonus gives you a second RX. Details:
https://sdrzone.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=86:zone-qs1r-review&catid=20:mosaics&Itemid=572

I use almost the exact setup with my Ts-590s except I use (Free) HDSDR software . This setup would give ANY transceiver a panafall/spectrum scope. It works great and is a welcome addition to my station. I have been using it for almost a year.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:13:42 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: