The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Amp To Buy?  (Read 23617 times)
AD4DZ

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2014, 10:28:24 AM »

I currently have two amps.The first is a THP 1.5KFX and I love it It is tied in with a THP tuner and it is as smooth as butter, always ready and puts out a nice easy 900 watts with no problems. The amp and tuner follow the transceiver automatically.
My other amp is a Ameritron ALS-600 that is supposed to be automatic but isn't, makes a lot of noise, and only gives me about 450 watts.
Tokyo Hy Power is no longer available so what Automatic Solid state 1000 watt amp would you recommend that wouldn't bankrupt me?
I really prefer a no tune amp but maybe I should consider a tube amp to save some $ $. Your advice is appreciated.
Dave  W9DEC
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 10:37:46 AM »

Take a look at the Acom 1000. It is really easy to tune. - 160m thru 6m

Mark N1UK
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 12:45:55 PM »

First question is what is your budget?

The larger question is no one will hear the extra 600 watts from 900 watts now. Just what are you looking for?

On a side note the ACOM 1000 is a very nice amplifier but I would put the money in an up graded antenna and tower. More bang for the buck.
K2CBI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 01:44:02 PM »

Why get rid of the THP 1.5Kfx, if you love it?  Repairs (if needed) are still available from Audio Visual Service Labs in Virginia Beach.  THP equipment is terrific - why replace it?

73, Mike
K2CBI
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 04:17:20 PM »

I know your reservations about keeping the THP amp. I had an HL-1.5kfx for almost 7 years, without the slightest glitch or problem. I know AVSL still will repair them, even at component level, but the problem is...for how long, and what will the resale value eventually depreciate down to, especially if parts become no longer available? Tough choice, as it's a great amp. Odds are "something" will eventually fail, requiring a future repair. Could be a gamble to assume that it will work forever.

With the exception of the Ameritron ALS-1300 (personally have no confidence in its' long term reliability), all the other 1,000 watt solid-state amps are well in excess of $3,500, and have built-in tuners, which I don't need. I recently sold the THP amp, and have an Acom A1000 on order, basically a dollar-for-dollar swap. I'm not concerned about having to tune an amp, and the Acom is probably the easiest and fastest tune on the market. Just my opinion on your question.

Good luck on your decision.

73,  Bob, K7JQ
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 04:22:30 PM »

ALS-600 and ALS-1300

I would stand clear of both as they are very overrated as far as power output. If you want a "real" solid state amplifer , look at the Prometheus line. I have a friend who has one and it is well worth it...

http://www.dishtronix.com/prometheus.html
AD5ZC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 04:53:23 PM »

ALS-600 and ALS-1300

I would stand clear of both as they are very overrated as far as power output. If you want a "real" solid state amplifer , look at the Prometheus line. I have a friend who has one and it is well worth it...

http://www.dishtronix.com/prometheus.html

My entire family (Easter get together) just looked at me as I howled in disbelief at your post.  Thanks for the laugh!!!

Honestly, I've read many of your posts and for the most part respect the help you try to give other hams but your hatred and concerted effort to undermine MFJ have reached the point of ridiculosity.  That's right.  Ridiculosity.

The Prometheus is without a doubt a better amp than the Ameritron but it ain't 8 thousand dollars better.
The OP asked not to be bankrupted.  Please stay on topic. Smiley
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 05:23:51 PM »

Quote from: W9DEC
I currently have two amps.The first is a THP 1.5KFX and I love it It is tied in with a THP tuner and it is as smooth as butter, always ready and puts out a nice easy 900 watts with no problems. The amp and tuner follow the transceiver automatically.
I would keep the THP 1.5KFX amplifier, there is NO commercial solid-state equivalent in that power / price class.

You asked about the Ameritron ALS-600 HF amplifier (which you own).
I can only give 2 specific observations:
From my Elmer (SK, 2011) who was a Korean vet (Ft. Benning), later broadcast engineer.
He was a very early owner of Ameritron ALS-600, and
A RTTY contester that I have known in the area for a long time.  Neither are EE.

In BOTH Cases, the ALS-600 made FIVE Trips to Mississippi (Ameritron) to repair.
My Elmer commented that QA was poor, but not surprising for the MFJ price point targets.
He reduced his usage to 75 meter nets, after the last FET replacement and Ameritron updates (5th trip back).

The RTTY contester sold his Ameritron ALS-600 as soon as it returned the Fifth time --
 he purchased the Elecraft KPA-500 amplifier / matching tuner and has had NO issues, at this point.
--
How can a company make $$, with this many trips back for service?  It doesn't.
My personal observations are aligned to your experience.
The Ameritron ALS design is now a bit dated.
Freescale has new RF transistors that would be more suitable -- but at a higher cost for the resulting HF amplifier.

Quote from: AD5ZC
Honestly, I've read many of your posts and for the most part respect the help you try to give other hams but your hatred and concerted effort to undermine MFJ have reached the point of ridiculosity.  That's right.  Ridiculosity.
I don't know what this statement has to do with W9DEC question in this thread.
eHam.net use to have Moderators to reduce personal attacks in these forums.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 05:53:41 PM by W9GB » Logged
W8VVE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 05:32:47 PM »

Are you looking for another HL 1.5KFX?   Drop me an email.
Sam. W8VVE.  nwsam@ntelos.net
K3GC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 06:41:16 PM »

Another vote for keeping the THP.  It is a great amp and should give you years of service.  I love mine and would not consider replacing it.  I rather expect that they will appreciate in value over time.
Gene K3GC
K9OJT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 06:51:02 PM »

The Prometheus is without a doubt a better amp than the Ameritron but it ain't 8 thousand dollars better.

Trust me..if I had the bucks I would own the Prometheus. It is made less then 40 miles from my QTH...that aside I have studied their information. The headroom alone is enough to justify the cost. I believe the Prometheus is most likely the next generation in solid state amplification. It may take awhile but I am convinced the Prometheus will eventually become the state of the art.

Time will tell.

Mike K9OJT
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 03:53:07 AM »

"Honestly, I've read many of your posts and for the most part respect the help you try to give other hams but your hatred and concerted effort to undermine MFJ have reached the point of ridiculosity.

Nahh , the ALS-600 and ALS-1300 are ok amps for the money plus you don't have to take a loan out to get one. I used an ALS-600 for years , my point was if you want to sail at 1000 watts as he described and the amplifier stay working afterwards, the Prometheus is the way to go. Most Hammy's can't afford one though.

The original poster is looking to advance and seems like he may be able to afford it.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 05:55:36 AM »

but I would put the money in an up graded antenna and tower. More bang for the buck.

That depends on what you are looking for. On 20m and above DX a tower and beam can a lot but 40 and below were noisy can be higher a amp can help a lot. I have had many QSO's on 40  that would no have been pleasant or possible without a amp on both ends during poor conditions.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 06:25:52 AM »

What about the Expert Amps 1K-FA? It is in the same ballpark as the THP as far as price and I have heard a lot of good things about the amp. The new legal limit 1.3K-FA will be available soon also and it seems the price without the built-in tuner won't bee too bad.

Forum Thread: SPE Expert 1K-FA vs 1.3K-FA

http://www.expertampsusa.com/

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 01:20:37 PM »

Why get rid of the THP 1.5Kfx, if you love it?  Repairs (if needed) are still available from Audio Visual Service Labs in Virginia Beach.  THP equipment is terrific - why replace it?

73, Mike
K2CBI

I second the response from Mike.  Keep the THP and if it ever needs repairs, AVSL is the repair center for all THP products.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: