The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Channel spacing  (Read 2695 times)
CERBERUS

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2014, 08:58:23 AM »

Good morning all.

KD9AIJ here,am a newbie to the world of amature radio. And a quick question, What is the correct channel spacing on 2 meters? I have been told that 5kHz is ok but according to the arrl repeater book it shows 15kHz in my state. Do I have my radio setup wrong its a kenwood TM 281a. Should I be running the 15 kHz instead of the 5 kHz?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:14:57 AM »

The 5KHz step is the best. 5KHz will cover stations that are on 15KHz intervals but 15KHz steps will miss those that fall on 5 or 10 KHz intervals. The step interval is simply the amount of frequency change that occurs for each detent on the VFO knob of your radio.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
CERBERUS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:17:11 AM »

Ok that helps. Thank you AA4PB
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 08:30:23 AM »

I would like to add to the 5kHz comment.  ARRL's recommended 2m step differs from state to state.  For example, for IL (I think that's where you are), 15kHz step is recommended, but for lower MI, 20kHz is recommended.

These are only recommendations, and there's nothing legally preventing you from running other steps.  So, depending on where you are, running 5kHz step may be a safer bet.

I have a map showing the recommended 2m steps for US, Canada, and Mexico.  If you'd like a copy, PM me your e-mail address, and I'll get it out to you.

N8YQX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: