The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NMO mount installation for 1995 Cadillac Sedan DeVille question  (Read 3506 times)
WA7SGS

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2014, 06:19:41 PM »

What I want to do is remove the power antenna and use the hole for placing in a NMO mount.  Has anyone got any experience in doing this to a 1994 to 1999 or so DeVille?  If you have real time experience please let me know what your story is.  The amount of space to work with looks very very thin.  Don't worry about the car radio antenna being gone for I have a powered hidden antenna to substitute in place of the power antenna.

Rick

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 02:02:14 PM »

Usually the power antennas in the Cadillac series are not fender mounted, they just protrude through it and are strapped/bolted to the inside of the engine compartment/trunk.  If on a front fender, you may have to remove the wheel well cover to access the bolts and get the mechanism out. 

One thing to check first is the clearance for the NMO mount on the underside of the fender.  In some of those cars, even though it looks like its going to be OK and fit well, there are sometimes internal braces or insufficient room underneath for the NMO base to fit properly in that antenna hole.  Good Luck and 73!
WA7SGS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:24:32 PM »

The DeVille of the type I have only has rear fender-mounted power antennas.  Where they protude is where they're mounted after all..LOL!  You're just playing games with semantics.  Whatever is underneath doesn't really matter much as the shaft diameter of the power antenna unit should provide enough space for an NMO mount underneath once it is removed.  My concern is with the small amount of space on top of the fender where the wider fastening part goes. 

Oh well, maybe someone really has dealt with a Cadillac DeVille of this vintage and knows the true facts.  If not, all I can say is I tried by asking here and I'll have my installer get inventive with fabrication skills, then pray whatever he does will not leak.  It rains over here on the Oregon Coast after all!

Rick
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 05:03:11 AM »

That type reply to an answer doesn't help matters--it chases people away.  If you're so all-fired smart, why do you ask at all?  I've had a Caddy of that vintage with the antenna in the front and gave you my best answer since I've tried the same thing.  Next time go ask at a Caddy dealer if you want complete and exact info--that is if you can stop them from laughing you out of their dealership first.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 09:15:05 AM »

buy an extra trunk lid from the junk yards, punch a hole in it, and mount your antennas there, and then swap trunk lids back on sales of the vehicle.
WA7SGS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 12:04:31 PM »

That type reply to an answer doesn't help matters--it chases people away.  If you're so all-fired smart, why do you ask at all?  I've had a Caddy of that vintage with the antenna in the front and gave you my best answer since I've tried the same thing.  Next time go ask at a Caddy dealer if you want complete and exact info--that is if you can stop them from laughing you out of their dealership first.

If you're so dang smart why did you not see this in my original post?

"If you have real time experience please let me know what your story is."

You took a wild-assed guess, sent along some generic advice and provided no particulars.  You are also mistaken about DeVilles of this body style and power antenna placement.  I know my Cadillacs!  You are likely thinking of the Fleetwood Brougham, assuming you think at all...LOL!

Anyways, I asked, no one knows a thing, so I'll go on about my way and git 'er done.

As for the punch a hole in the trunk solution, that's not a bad idea.  I'll keep that in mind as an option N6JAR.  The Cadillac is so old it's not worth buying another trunk lid for but a swap on a later model vehicle worth more than mine is sounds great!

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: