The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National NCL 2000 generic fan problems and cure  (Read 1418 times)
AE2B

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2007, 08:46:27 PM »

Yes Granger was the cure as far as the motor replacement but things needed to be done. I had gotten from granger a #4M076 3000 rpm motor price was $30.00. Well that solved the motor problem but now to nake a 40 year old squirll cage blower fan and fit it onto a new motor of today. I had to take the original holes of the original shroud and not nake new ones but to take the existing holes and elongate them kind of slot them so it can be adjustable. If you use one original hole which you can the motor does not sit square on the shroud and is cocked. Ok now to adapt the blower to the motor. The original piece that the blower squirll cage screws to is the only piece youll need from the old motor. What I had done was take it to my friend who owns a huge weldong company and had him cut off the top brass colored piece that the fan screws to. The steel bottem piece I disreguarded. Now with the top piece only I then had my friend PRESS another piece into the sleev of it because it is a hole way larger then the shaft of the motor. So pictures this make a circle ith your index finger and thumb then stick your other index finger in it and it seals the hole. Well same idea. You now have a solid piece. Then he pressed a steel piece into it. Then he drilled the new hole through the middle using the existing top piece as a guide hole and drilled it wide enough so it is a snug fit over the motor shaft. Then he drilled and tapped 2 holes and I put in there 2 small locking hex head screws. All of this was done by a drill press and a vise. The obvious will happen if something is drilled off center spinnning at 3000 rpm's.I have not installed the assembly yet but am going to do so hopefuly tomorrow jan 14th. The only other mod ill have to do is take the bracket ontop of the chassis of the ncl that holds the fan in place and cut the vertical legs and raise it a bit as this motor is a bit higher then the stock one. I had plugged it in and let it run for a while. It is nice and quiet and the air that blows is absoloutly incredable. So this was my out as im sure there might be other ways to do it but with the help of my friend tom W2BIS this all came together. 2 heads are better then one. He took care of the dissambly of the ncl I took care of the machining ideas and my friend took care of the machining work. The total was $80.00. I saved an icon my ncl 2000
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: