The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Always view the pictures!  (Read 26969 times)
K4TFJ

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2014, 01:30:09 PM »

Recently an ad was posted on the notorious auction site known as eBay. I had an alert set for this particular item, since I collect them and like to see what is out there.

The original ad contained many snapshots and the following details:

Condition:  USED.
Near Mint, Very clean (no smoke stains or rust)

NOTE: the details have since changed....

I looked at the pictures. I see scratches, rust and discolorations. Not to mention the TUNE, BAND and LOAD knobs are not original!!!. I sent a message to the seller, stating these things and that he should not claim that it is "Near Mint". I must admit, he changed it! The details now say this:

Condition:  USED.
Very clean (no smoke stains)
Power transformer shows signs of rust.
There are some signs of cosmetic wear to the cabinet and front panel.

No mention of the knobs, but then again, if you don't collect these... you would not know they were wrong.

PLEASE look at all pictures!!!!

Want to see them yourself.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121353194727&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Buyer Beware!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 01:38:33 PM by K4TFJ » Logged
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:05:21 PM »

The seller may not know if the knobs are original or not. They look nice. He didn't mention the knobs and didn't say anything about them, after you complained. Looks like he's trying to be fair.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 04:34:54 AM »

Plus the fact that he used what seems to be original pictures, not copy and paste. Also a sign he is trying to be upfront. I think it is a matter of opinion as to how his description is accurate or not. But like the old saying goes...a picture is worth a thousand words. Which any person could nit pick a description if they wanted to. So his use of pictures shows more honesty then anything else. In my opinion, he is doing fine. He didn't try to hide anything.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 03:09:33 PM »

Plus the fact that he used what seems to be original pictures, not copy and paste. Also a sign he is trying to be upfront. I think it is a matter of opinion as to how his description is accurate or not. But like the old saying goes...a picture is worth a thousand words. Which any person could nit pick a description if they wanted to. So his use of pictures shows more honesty then anything else. In my opinion, he is doing fine. He didn't try to hide anything.

I agree 100%.  This guy is an angel compared to some of the things I've seen on eBay.  Grin
K1MMI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 07:00:53 AM »

When I looked at the pictures the Conar transmitter looked "Near Mint" to me - especially with the transmitter being over 50 years old.

When I read the detailed information it struck me as a guy trying to be 100% honest - especially where he changed his original ad because K4TFJ felt "Near Mint" was not correct.

I did a search and see someone was selling a Conar Model 400 transmitter for $195 back in October 2013. I just checked and the current bid for the Conar 400 that is being sold on Ebay is $12.50. There is no guarantee the transmitter works but the seller was told it does work - so it looks like someone may get a fantastic deal.

I guess it's all subjective. To me, "Near Mint" is an item that is in Very Good Condition to Excellent Condition. I suppose to a Collector "Near Mint" means it looks exactly like it did the day it was taken out of the box.

Great advice from K4TFJ to look at the pictures before buying any radio item, be it on ebay or on any Ham Website. There are many horror stories of Hams spending thousands of dollars on a radio item that turns out to be totally misrepresented.
AA6ZE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 11:50:17 AM »

What I don't get is expensive gear being sold on sites like QTH with NO pictures. When I ask for one it's always " It's been sold ",or no answer at all. Why would a guy spend hundreds of dollars or more on used gear without a picture?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 03:42:24 PM »

What I don't get is expensive gear being sold on sites like QTH with NO pictures. When I ask for one it's always " It's been sold ",or no answer at all. Why would a guy spend hundreds of dollars or more on used gear without a picture?

Have you heard the term 'money laundering' before?
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 03:58:31 PM »

Laundering? Why would the guy with the cash want to by a cheap radio? Usually it's very high value stuff like exotic cars and mansions.  My take on no pictures is that item was stolen or acquired without knowing what it is.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 08:27:28 AM »

According to what I quoted, it is NOT a 'cheap' radio.  It was described as "expensive gear."
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 08:45:03 AM »

One with less than $100,000 in cash usually doesn't launder, look up money laundering.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 06:28:21 PM »

It would be 1 heck of a radio at a minimum of $100,000!

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 02:35:09 PM »

One with less than $100,000 in cash usually doesn't launder, look up money laundering.

Depends where you look and who is doing the laundering.  ANY amount of money obtained illegally that has to look like it came from a legitimate deal can be laundered, it doesn't have to be above $100,000.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 02:51:14 PM »

100K was an example, I said usually. Laundering means getting rid of large amounts of illegally obtained money in order to evade paying taxes or flagging authorities of illegal activity. Small amounts can be deposited in banks, I think it's 10K per month without setting any flags. So what I don't understand is what the buyer of a cheap (by money laundering standards) radio is getting out of the deal.

And I'm sure that anyone that sells a radio or any equipment doesn't report that as income. They will buy something else with the money or deposit it, no big deal. Is this money laundering?

N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 05:04:26 PM »

I worked extensively with money laundering when I was in banking.

"Money laundering" means concealing the source of funds derived from illegal or criminal activities.

The "cash transaction reporting requirements"  apply to transactions with either U.S. or foreign currency.  If, on a given business, a customer either deposits or withdraws more than $10,000 in either a single transaction or in multiple transactions aggregating more than $10,000, the bank, s & l, credit union, etc. must file a report on FinCEN Form 104.

It is a crime to structure a transaction to circumvent the reporting requirements.  It's also a crime to help some circumvent the reporting requirements.

AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 11:08:27 AM »

I think the guy is up front and I like the fact that he is willing to ship to Hawaii 90% of the gear I see listed is for sale to the Lower 48 only and that sucks for us guys here in Hawaii.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: