The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Win 8 bad?  (Read 82246 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »

I do not miss start menu at all. Do to understand all the fuss. I guess a lot of users are technically challenged.

Hello.

Windows was introduced for the technically challenged, that was the entire point.
DOS was good enough for some.
But, for the computer to go mainstream and move into everyone's home, it had to become easy to use.
This adding features for the sake of adding features has to stop.
The era of adding features that are actually useful is has pretty much ended for Micro$oft.
XP with Works was pretty much it for most users who will never need any more.

The API support has changed and allows visual effects no possible with older versions. Incan use this tablet or my 8x laptops and everything is shared between them transparently and when I add a new machine all network, printer and wireless setting are transferred too. You can stay in past not me. Those that claim 8 adds nothing never learned how to use it.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2014, 05:27:32 PM »

Visual effects are the single most important feature of any OS (Yep I typed it with a straight face and everything)
Thank my old machine you can not see one right now

K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2014, 06:18:48 PM »

[ Those that claim 8 adds nothing never learned how to use it.

John,

We don't always agree, but I agree with you here.  People hate Windows 8 solely because it is different and requires them to learn a new way of doing things; or at least that's what they think.  I use Windows 8 pretty much the same way I used Windows 7 and XP before that and have had no issues. 

I still prefer my Mac, but that's another thread!

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2014, 06:39:39 AM »

[ Those that claim 8 adds nothing never learned how to use it.

John,

We don't always agree, but I agree with you here.  People hate Windows 8 solely because it is different and requires them to learn a new way of doing things; or at least that's what they think.  I use Windows 8 pretty much the same way I used Windows 7 and XP before that and have had no issues. 

I still prefer my Mac, but that's another thread!

Dave
K3DCW

I have been around and worked with Macs for years and one of my daughters has a Mac book and a Ipad and Iphone. Other has Iphone and a Win 8 PC and Win tablet. It is because of my familiarity with Apple products I would never own them myself because I have lived with them somewhat and know their limitations. Apple, once ahead of curve in smart phone and tablet is falling behind fast because it is not evolving with times. Apple made same mistake 20 years ago.  MS recently learned hard way and not changing sooner really hurt them in tablet and smart phone world. MS has no future if it holds tight to past.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2014, 08:37:13 AM »

...People hate Windows 8 solely because it is different and requires them to learn a new way of doing things; or at least that's what they think.  I use Windows 8 pretty much the same way I used Windows 7 and XP before that and have had no issues. 

Hate is probably stretching it a bit--I think dislike is far closer to the point.  Those Windows users who want the ability to adjust and tailor the OS (to the extent they're able to) simply find the learning curve very high, and the ability of system control curtailed severely unless the user knows exactly how to find the setting that they want to adjust--something not easily done since those setting were, for all intents and purposes, hidden.

In short, it's not the casual use of the system that people find objectionable, it's the lack of control to have the system look and behave the way they want it to that is.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2014, 08:40:35 AM »

The REAL point of the matter is that Microsoft had, in manner of speaking, cut it's own throat years ago with how they originally set up their flagship OS.  DOS and Windows 3.1 weren't too hard at all to master--but that was before Microsoft had their visions that the computer could do ANYTHING that ANYBODY wanted it to--in the future.  Then along came Windows 95, the first of the changes--no, make that the only MAJOR change to come in the Windows series--until Windows 8.  

Even the incorporation of the basics of the better and more stable business version of Windows--Windows NT--into Windows XP didn't substantially change the way Windows did things since the Win 95 version.  That version WAS easier to use AND not too hard to master, since there were no major changes to the way the os was used!  Windows XP was welcomed with open arms by the majority of computer users, and remains about the best, most used version of the Windows OS series to this day.  That was the real clincher--Microsoft refused to change the basics of that system even when NT was incorporated into it.  AAMOF, they said that this was going to be their standard from that day forward.  Windows 95 had featured a way to simplify how windows was used, a basic way that remained substantially unchanged right through Windows 7!  

Then came the day that the then head of Microsoft envisioned something new, bright and (at least he thought) EASIER than the way the long accepted flagship OS ran.  What came out of that was Windows 8, and although it was, in principle, easier to use, it took away too much of what users had gotten used to: actual control of their computer.  Yes, the user could get back limited control of their machine, but only if they 'learned' how the new OS was built and how to navigate it to get things done--things that Microsoft had purposefully hidden in their bid to make this new Windows--in their mind--easier to use.

That was what proved to be a drastic mistake.  That is what produced the so called "train wreck" that Windows 8 was and is.  Microsoft itself saw that--hindsight is 20-20, after all--and is going to backpedal and give the people back what they want in Windows 9--control of their computer again.  A return to their long ago self proclaimed standard.  Back to a proven successful OS look and useability, even if they are also going to keep the newer interface as an option too.  

I don't think that anybody expects the new OS to be exactly the same as Windows 7 and its predecessors, but at least Microsoft is going back to the Windows principles that people knew and accepted since Windows 95 instead of trying to re-invent the wheel.  And to think that all of this could have been avoided if they would have given people the simple choice of whether or not to install the metro interface or stick with the classic interface that they're returning to in Windows 8.2.    

The Microsoft shill on this thread still won't believe that and keeps touting Windows 8, and from the headlines and stories coming out about Windows and Windows 9, I think he is going to get a cold dose of reality when 9 does come out with a choice of either user interface with it.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2014, 09:14:28 AM »

The trouble was, besides the points K1CJS raised, was that Microsoft didn't listen to the beta testers. They warned Microsoft what would happen
The result was an O/S that flunked worse than Vista
Win8 is an example of what would happen if you abuse your monopoly position

After 18 month Win8 (and its daughters) has reached 13.73%.
The much hated Vista reached 16.87%
Win7  got to 33.22% in the same time

It's not the market, as the success of Win7 proves so it must be the products

Another thing is that Vista was released at a nondescript time of the year. Win8 was released in October, prime for Christmas.
Someone on MSFN.org said that Sinofsky said he has the single mindedness of Steve Jobs,  pity he doesn't have the ability to pick what people would want unlike Jobs

As for phones and touch, Microsoft, despite many, many years of trying just cannot produce anything that the public wants

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2014, 10:46:11 AM »

This stuff reminds me of the "Andre's Free laptop" saga first bought to light by some contributors to the old "Microsoft Watch" column run by Joe Wilcox some several years ago.

There was someone named Andre going around on all the forums and blog sites praising Vista and how it was a "loved OS" and "feature rich" . Andre would allegedly condemn Linux users and especially Linux itself. (This was when people were saying that Vista is worse than Windows ME they are going to start installing Linux instead of using Vista).

Anyway, there were allegations that Andre got a free laptop from Microsoft worth allegedly $6000. And Andre who allegedly lives in Costa Rica according to the article where the daily per capita is under $4000 per year. So the implications were that allegedly Andre got a free laptop from Microsoft as a gift in exchange for astroturfing for Vista and Microsoft.

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2009/02/01/closing-report-case-01-andre-da-costa/

Joe's Microsoft Watch is no longer on the 'net. Too bad it made for good drama at the time.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2014, 01:08:34 PM »

...As for phones and touch, Microsoft, despite many, many years of trying just cannot produce anything that the public wants

The problem is that Microsoft, with their years of success, should be content with the products that are proven--and build off of that.  Instead, what Microsoft did was to try to reinvent almost everything to do with their computer OSes, whether or not they were desktop, laptop, or the newer computer products.

In other words, instead of being content with their share and improving their share, they want to take everyone else's share too.  That probably comes from the fact that Microsoft practically 'owned' the computer OS market for so long (yes, I know, there were other players, but they were and are small potatos) and now it wants to 'own' the opening IT system/product OSes too--but it isn't going to happen.  Apple and Android have the lion share of those and Microsoft isn't going to get anywhere near what they want.

Large fixed PC systems, which include desktop and laptop systems, however, aren't going to disappear overnight.  Their numbers may go down, but again, not so far as some may think.  As long as Microsoft stands by their proven OS and keeps on improving it, they're going to have a market far into the future, even if they do incorporate newer features into the OS such as the cloud and remote data storage, so that the new platforms can access the data held on desktop and laptop systems.  They're going to hasve to learn to play in the community sandbox instead of owning their own and only letting their select friends in.

But, as has been seen, they try to reinvent their computer OS as a "one size fits all" OS they're going to have nothing but trouble.  What they're doing now (yes, by reports) is splitting their OS into three distinct versions--interchangeable OSes that can be run on any platform depending on the platform, should have been done from the beginning of the Windows 8 planning.  Microsoft (more their now gone chief) made a major mistake with W8, a mistake they're now trying to correct with their new OS versions, chiefly Windows 9--a system that's being released earlier than it should have been.

Microsoft has got to realize that they limited use of their sandbox too much, and as a result the other computer players opened a community sandbox--and that new sandbox has become the one that everyone wants to play in with the newer technology, not Microsoft's old sandbox and it's proprietary toys.    
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 01:12:13 PM by K1CJS » Logged
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2014, 03:13:09 PM »

I had to laugh when I saw this

I still am waiting for Fisher Price or Playskool to sue M$ for theft of their intellectual property.

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »

I have been around and worked with Macs for years and one of my daughters has a Mac book and a Ipad and Iphone. Other has Iphone and a Win 8 PC and Win tablet. It is because of my familiarity with Apple products I would never own them myself because I have lived with them somewhat and know their limitations. Apple, once ahead of curve in smart phone and tablet is falling behind fast because it is not evolving with times. Apple made same mistake 20 years ago.  MS recently learned hard way and not changing sooner really hurt them in tablet and smart phone world. MS has no future if it holds tight to past.

Apple is still ahead in tablets and phones. Not sure what planet you are on . . . The only way Android is leading in any number category is the fact that it takes a lot of different companies making android products to add up to what Apple is doing.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2014, 07:52:58 PM »

Apple is still ahead in tablets and phones. Not sure what planet you are on . . . The only way Android is leading in any number category is the fact that it takes a lot of different companies making android products to add up to what Apple is doing.

Question is what planet are you from? Android is Android no matter who makes it same as a Windows PC or Tablet. Apple lost lead in tablet last year and is loosing more ground daily. On a global scale they are way behind Android on phones too. The competition among PC makers and Android hardware makers has awoken a sleeping giant that will crush apple. Apples keep it all in house and do it my way and lack of things like USB and Micro SD support on tablet and phones is killing it. That and a OS that has changed little in 4 years except for some window dressing. Apple had a good ride but is running out of gas fast.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »

Question is what planet are you from? Android is Android no matter who makes it same as a Windows PC or Tablet. Apple lost lead in tablet last year and is loosing more ground daily. On a global scale they are way behind Android on phones too. The competition among PC makers and Android hardware makers has awoken a sleeping giant that will crush apple. Apples keep it all in house and do it my way and lack of things like USB and Micro SD support on tablet and phones is killing it. That and a OS that has changed little in 4 years except for some window dressing. Apple had a good ride but is running out of gas fast.

I actually use an Android phone . . . just for disclosure. . .

USB and Micro SD slots in phones are almost never used by people. Yea a few people use them but of all the people I know that I have talked about their android phone, no one uses the Micro SD slots. USB port is for charging. I never use it to get something on the phone. Dropbox is easier. Same with my iPad.  SD cards are NOT compelling features on phones or tablets.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2014, 08:34:19 PM »

Question is what planet are you from? Android is Android no matter who makes it same as a Windows PC or Tablet.

So, you are saying vendors using Android on their devices are not customizing the OS? Really? Have you even looked at different Android devices?

Apple lost lead in tablet last year and is loosing more ground daily. On a global scale they are way behind Android on phones too. The competition among PC makers and Android hardware makers has awoken a sleeping giant that will crush apple.

Which explains why most apps are still coming out for iOS first.

Apples keep it all in house and do it my way and lack of things like USB and Micro SD support on tablet and phones is killing it. That and a OS that has changed little in 4 years except for some window dressing. Apple had a good ride but is running out of gas fast.

Your saying so doesn't make it so.

And yes, I do own and use Android phones and an Android tablet.

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2014, 04:57:16 AM »

So, you are saying vendors using Android on their devices are not customizing the OS? Really? Have you even looked at different Android devices?

They have a few different tweaks on surface but core is same and since 4.1x app compatibility has not been a problem.

Which explains why most apps are still coming out for iOS first.

Apps that come out first on Apple are because APPLE PAYS them to develop it duh...  Android has best selection of free apps by far.

Your saying so doesn't make it so.

Not of question of me saying it. The market has spoken and Apple is losing ground fast. Why do you think after years of claiming that consumer want a tiny phone and screen that they are racing to get a 4.7 and 5.5 inch model on market this fall. Gonna take more than this though IOS is no longer the darling child. 

And yes, I do own and use Android phones and an Android tablet.

Most do in one form or other.

Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: