The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Win 8 bad?  (Read 83006 times)
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2014, 08:04:38 AM »

Apps that come out first on Apple are because APPLE PAYS them to develop it duh...  Android has best selection of free apps by far. 

App come out first on Apple because the developers can actually make money selling apps in Apple's eco-system.  Like Hams, Android users are generally "cheaper" at spending money on apps. Google it, you'll find supporting articles.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2014, 08:34:57 AM »

Apps that come out first on Apple are because APPLE PAYS them to develop it duh...  Android has best selection of free apps by far. 

App come out first on Apple because the developers can actually make money selling apps in Apple's eco-system.  Like Hams, Android users are generally "cheaper" at spending money on apps. Google it, you'll find supporting articles.

It all has to do with Apple koolaid. Apps are no better and they cost more because Apple takes a piece of price. If you want to be one of the herd and follow the rest off cliff stay with apple.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2014, 08:38:26 AM »

It all has to do with Apple koolaid. Apps are no better and they cost more because Apple takes a piece of price. If you want to be one of the herd and follow the rest off cliff stay with apple.

It's $$$'s . . App developers like to make money. It's pretty simple. They make more money developing for Apple's products than they do Android simple because they sell more apps. You think google doesn't take their cut of app sales in their Android Play store?

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2014, 08:59:27 AM »

And Microsoft doesn't?

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2014, 09:01:47 AM »

And Microsoft doesn't?

Not like Apple because a lot of legacy apps for Win 8.1 require no store to load them unlike Apple the EVERYTHING has to come thru Apple so they can get a piece of it.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2014, 09:05:13 AM »

It's $$$'s . . App developers like to make money. It's pretty simple. They make more money developing for Apple's products than they do Android simple because they sell more apps. You think google doesn't take their cut of app sales in their Android Play store?

Yes it is about $$$ and that is why users are leaving Apple platform and market share is dropping because there are better and cheaper solutions on other platforms. BTW you never did tell me were the dual window/app feature is on IOS that exists on WIN tablet and Andriod tablet. Oh that because it cannot duh....

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2014, 01:53:38 PM »

...because a lot of legacy apps for Win 8.1 require no store to load them unlike Apple the EVERYTHING has to come thru Apple so they can get a piece of it.

A lot of legacy apps won't even run on Win 8 or 8.1.  Some wouldn't even run on 7!

And as far as Apple goes, there are plenty of apps both in the Apple store and other sources that WILL run on Apple products--and Apple isn't seeing one red cent from they makers.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »

Another posting from msfn.org

So much for the metrotard vision:

http://www.neowin.ne...r-desktop-users

While it is still a little unclear if the Threshold update for PCs will be called Windows 9 or something else, what is starting to become known is how that OS will deviate from Microsoft's [metro] past. For mouse and keyboard users, Threshold will be the update many have been waiting for as Microsoft continues to move away form the Sinofsky vision of hybrid OS.

Threshold will be a further move away from the Modern UI environment for desktop users. In some builds of Threshold, the Modern UI is disabled by default. You have to manually turn it back on but this is situation dependent, if you wish to access the live tile environment.

If you are on a tablet, the Modern UI is still present and takes precedence over the classic desktop but on traditional PCs, the Modern UI is no longer utilized by default. This is where some of the confusion comes in that we had been hearing about a 'decentralized' use of the Modern UI but this is device-specific; for tablet and hybrid device users, the touch-focused UI is still a focal point. The biggest changes are in store for users of desktop-class systems.

We have also been hearing that the UI is 'visually distinct' too, meaning that when you see Threshold, it's easy to tell that it is not Windows 8.1.
http://www.zdnet.com...ers-7000031070/

Users running Threshold on a desktop/laptop will get a SKU, or version, that puts the Windows Desktop (for running Win32/legacy apps) front and center.

The Desktop/laptop SKU of Threshold will include, as previously rumored, the Mini-Start menu — a new version of the traditional Microsoft Start menu, an early concept of which Microsoft showed off at the company's Build developers conference in April. It also will include the ability to run Metro-Style/Windows Store apps in windows on the Desktop. Will it turn off completely the Metro-Style Start screen with its live-tile interface, as Neowin is reporting, and make the tiled Start Menu a toggleable option from the Mini Start menu? I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Microsoft is basically "done" with Windows 8.x. Regardless of how usable or functional it is or isn't, it has become Microsoft's Vista 2.0 -- something from which Microsoft needs to distance itself, perception-wise. At this point, Microsoft is going full steam-ahead toward Threshold and will do its best to differentiate that OS release from Windows 8.

Looks like metro is gonzo. On the tablet front, it looks as if they will remove the desktop there completely. Not a big deal honestly, since it's an inadequate form factor for the desktop anyway.

I can't believe it: Finally some sanity from Microsoft?! Have they cleared the water in Redmond?

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2014, 08:42:52 AM »

And Microsoft doesn't?

Not like Apple because a lot of legacy apps for Win 8.1 require no store to load them unlike Apple the EVERYTHING has to come thru Apple so they can get a piece of it.

OK That is just dead wrong. You can get apps from non-Apple sources, at least on the Mac for sure.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2014, 08:46:53 AM »

Yes it is about $$$ and that is why users are leaving Apple platform and market share is dropping because there are better and cheaper solutions on other platforms. BTW you never did tell me were the dual window/app feature is on IOS that exists on WIN tablet and Andriod tablet. Oh that because it cannot duh....

People are not leaving Apple. Go look at real market data.

Dual Windows/apps on the screen at one time is a feature to talk about but not many people use. Phone screens are too small for starters.  I could care less about it on my iPad . .  If it was there, I wouldn't use it . . It makes for a nice advertisement but that doesn't make it useful. I can run several apps on my Laptop and do all the time. Lot's of windows open at once, but I only use one at a time. I have to switch to the others to use them. The only thing I put side by side are two Putty sessions so I can read from two terminal screens at the same time. If I need two apps on the screen at the same time, I'll get the laptop out.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2014, 08:59:54 AM »

One thing that really gets me.  For years, people have been talking about cell phones that are smaller--right from the time of the so called 'brick'--that infamous first cell phone.  Now, all of a sudden, people have what amounts to belt hung bags that hold their tablet/phones--that are fast approaching the size of that first cell phone.  That is why I don't think this all-in-one phase is going to last long.  People will once again get tired of having to carry around such a big thing in order to be fashionable in a tech sense.

Sorry for going off track, but it ties in in a way.  Win 8 tried to get a single OS together that would run on both--and it bombed.  I still think that people are going to finally settle on a combination--small carry in a pocket phones with computers--either the traditional laptop or the tablet for on the go tied together with bluetooth, and a home/office computer system that either the carry along computer or the phone could interface to.

And I think that is where Microsoft is headed with their all-in-one, three flavor OS that is probably going to be Windows 9.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:03:34 AM by K1CJS » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2014, 09:13:03 AM »

People are not leaving Apple. Go look at real market data.

Dual Windows/apps on the screen at one time is a feature to talk about but not many people use. Phone screens are too small for starters.  I could care less about it on my iPad . .  If it was there, I wouldn't use it . . It makes for a nice advertisement but that doesn't make it useful. I can run several apps on my Laptop and do all the time. Lot's of windows open at once, but I only use one at a time. I have to switch to the others to use them. The only thing I put side by side are two Putty sessions so I can read from two terminal screens at the same time. If I need two apps on the screen at the same time, I'll get the laptop out.

I have looked at real data have you I think not. Apple is worried big time as they are loosing grip fast. They lost tablet market lead because they did not evolve or lower prices too. There would be 4.7 inch or 5.5 inch iPhone in pipe line if current phone was not loosing grip. For years they preached people wanted a small phone. On slip screen in use it mostly on tablets but on Note 3 too some. Yes Apple iPhone screen is so small and low res that it would not be viable at all. (My split screens on Note 3 are each higher res than full screen on 5s). I can look something up on web while using a stand alone Email client too. But if you drink appleaid you are used to not have features that others support.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »

CJS: I completely agree about the phone size. I still use a flip-phone from WalMart. I don't want to carry my computer around in my pocket. Personally, I kind of miss the days when I could go some where and be out of touch for a couple of hours.  Grin

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2014, 09:57:03 AM »

Personally, I kind of miss the days when I could go some where and be out of touch for a couple of hours.  Grin

Still can, leave phone at home.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2014, 10:01:01 AM »

Then I get "why didn't you answer the phone?" I've used the excuse "my battery must have run down".

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: