The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap 10 meter amp  (Read 78805 times)
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2014, 03:41:19 AM »

I think the tin foil hat fell off.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »

Hello.

I am reading earlier CB radio material, for research, and it is far more advanced than most hams now.
http://cbradiomagazine.com/S9%20CB%20Magazine/1979%20Feb/S9%20MAGAZINE%20CB%20RADIO%201979%20FEBRUARY%20PG%2061-BACK%20COVER.htm#Antenna%20Rotors%20&%20Rotators
It has nothing to do with CB vs Hams, it has to do with people who want to understand vs someone who wants a heathkit.
Sorry but this was not a heathkit.
This was some junk TV some parts came out of.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2014, 07:34:13 AM »

"CBers are smarter than hams"

"I am reading earlier CB radio material, for research, and it is far more advanced than most hams now."

This could be interesting  Grin

Peter DL8OV
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2014, 07:47:53 AM »

LOL Peter

The funny part is the details become less and less with each post. It is just too absurd!

Maybe he has a CB antenna wired to his brain and can't help himself!

73, Stan
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2014, 09:18:09 AM »

Maybe that is it.  His posts are starting to remind of a character in a Philip K. Dick novel.  Perhaps a non-earthly intelligence beamed a pink light into his brain and he now has the ability to turn TVs into unneeded 10 meter amplifiers (or more likely, 11 meter amps).
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2014, 07:27:00 AM »

Hello.

The FCC regs say 4 watts maximum, Except for 27.255 MHz.
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=f7f998e7d24b11a6b5ed66bbad805407&node=47:5.0.1.1.5&rgn=div5#47:5.0.1.1.5.5.149.18
A kit CB radio is legal, heathkit sold them.
But, to go with more power, and be legal, the easy way is Amateur Radio.
A CB antenna is just slightly longer than a 10 meter antenna, so just a trim, and it is there.
Although ham stuff is cheap, used CB stuff is even cheaper.
A bird wattmeter is $370+ for a basic new one, not including slugs.
A Dosy meter is under $100, under $50 for the basic models, and need no slugs.
A person could get on the air with an FT-101, CB antenna, coax and a section of steel pipe for $60 if it is bought used.
And, with $20 of wire and insulators, add one more band.
This will never be the DX dream box, but it will do.
A kid working cutting grass can afford that.
All you idiots are upset that there are ever fewer hams?
What are YOU doing to promote the hobby?
Remember, for a kid, or 3rd world countries, this has to be cheap.
You want details? those are the details.
MOST people look at hams as self centered stink bombs who want the neighborhood to look ugly and cause appliances to fail!
MOST people want their kids to stay away!
Like it or not, that is the way it is.
Add to this Emcomm, running around talking about doom being around the corner?
Kids now carry guns, between the drug dealers and the gang bangers, there is no time for a bunch of stinky guys who act odd.
This project is to provide an amplifier and power supply for a monoband radio, on the cheap.
No complicated beam but a simple vertical mounted to a vent pipe.
No Elmers needed, it is just set up and go!
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2014, 07:52:18 AM »

What are YOU doing to promote the hobby?

Well for one thing, not passing on anything you say as fact to anyone. And it would confuse too many people to repeat what you say.

73, Stan
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2014, 09:53:58 AM »

If you believe that "everyone into the pool mind set" is best for the hobby then the author has a point of view.

I do not feel the ham radio has gone in the right direction. The hobby was started as a method to  advance electronic education. The other ancillary functions grew out of boredom.

If sheer numbers was a key to education and success then CB would have eclipsed Ham Radio. Sadly to few hams are enjoying the technical side of the hobby. As a result we have ill informed rants of technical "what if's". Many new hams read these postings as gospel and their learning curve will only take longer. 

As an interesting survey I wonder how many hams own a copy of the ARRL Handbook and if so how many have read at least 20% of the materiel?
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2014, 04:44:02 PM »

MOST people look at hams as self centered stink bombs who want the neighborhood to look ugly and cause appliances to fail!

Based on all your blathering I suspect that is indeed your experience.  Others likely have different experiences, so you should not generalize so much.
N4TTS

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2014, 05:05:45 PM »

Based on all your blathering I suspect that is indeed your experience.  Others likely have different experiences, so you should not generalize so much.

His numerous and constant references to CB and truckers should provide all the explanation necessary.

Troll

Don N4TTS

W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2014, 05:19:20 PM »

A kit CB radio is legal, heathkit sold them.

Up to a point... the transmitter section was prebuilt and aligned. If further alignment was needed the builder needed find a tech with an FCC First or Second Class Radiotelephone to make the transmitter adjustments.

Pete
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2014, 06:31:51 PM »

A careful reading reveals only R/C transmitters are allowed 25W on 27.255 MHz. Normal voice CB's are still 4W AM or 12W PEP for sideband.

Jim K6JH
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2014, 11:42:18 PM »

Hello.

Yes, R/C transmitters, and only on one frequency!
And, yes, the Heathkits were prebuilt to a degree, or should we say, pre-engineered.
There is nothing in the regs that require an FCC first or second phone, then or now.
CB is, and always was, a little more loose with the rules.
Anyone could repair one, as long as they used the exact same parts.
The rules were "The frequency determining elements".
So, heathkit supplied the channel selector board with oscillator.
And, there were 2 distinct models.
One with 6 channels, with or without crystals.
And the other with 23 channels and all crystals supplied.
The very last model had 40 channels, and you could order just that module and upgrade your 23 channel unit.
There was debate on how legal that was, but not my problem.
However it does not change the fact that there is nothing wrong with operating on 10 meters with a 10 meter only amp.
Like it or not, I meet quite a few people by way of CB and GMRS (WQGD204).
Like it or not, quite a few hams are total slobs, others are whackers, and others are, well, odd.
There is this fear of 11 meters, that somehow, this sanctity of ham radio will be violated.
Well, breaking news, hams are nothing special.
The average person sees hams as, well, odd.
Quick question, why would someone even want a tower when VoIP works so well?
Dude, if given a choice between that and Magic Jack? you get the picture.
CB radio, base to base, 100% legit, has a 25 mile range.
That is to say, I can chat to another station, 25 miles away, actually 27 miles, but who is counting. Lips sealed
With the internet interconnected repeaters and talkies, I can kick back and chat well into Mexico.
And that brings up another point, 90% of everything I say on the air is in Spanish!
The average white male is completely lost.
I have had hams send tapes of me chatting away on 10 meters, callsign in English, 100% legal, into the FCC, and they got upset when the FCC told them in effect 'Get a life'.
I go from CB to 10 meters, flip from band to band, but it is 2 radios.
What I have is an antenna with a coil on the base and a relay set.
One position is top end of 10 meters, next bottom end of 10, 11, 12 meters.
On the other end of the coax is the controller and 2 feeds, one for the 11 meters and one for everything else.
I make the jump fast, too fast for just one radio.
In fact, it is not at all uncommon for me to say a few words on 10, jump to 11, say a few words, and jump back to 10.
I can receive on both, at the same time.
GMRS, MURS, whatever else? that is on another radio.
I stay informed, I stay alive, and I drive into Mexico.

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2014, 04:52:31 AM »

One position is top end of 10 meters, next bottom end of 10, 11, 12 meters.

So, why do you need a 12 meter antenna when you said many times you only operate 10M and 160M AM?

Like it or not, quite a few hams are total slobs, others are whackers, and others are, well, odd.

Well you fit into 2 of the 3 based on what and how you write. The 3rd I can't say as I have never seen you to qualify you to that category.

And as to your interpretation of the rules, depending on which thread you are in, you try to make your interpretation fit to the odd position you take. You tend to pick pieces and parts from the rules to make yourself sound legal. Then others have to come here and set things straight be telling what the whole rule says.

There is this fear of 11 meters, that somehow, this sanctity of ham radio will be violated.
CB radio, base to base, 100% legit, has a 25 mile range.
That is to say, I can chat to another station, 25 miles away, actually 27 miles, but who is counting. Lips sealed
I go from CB to 10 meters, flip from band to band, but it is 2 radios.
I make the jump fast, too fast for just one radio.
In fact, it is not at all uncommon for me to say a few words on 10, jump to 11, say a few words, and jump back to 10.

Sorry, it is not fear, but rather the fact that this site and forums are for ham radio. Probably a majority of the people that come here have no interest in reading about CB here. There are forums for CB. That is the proper place for that.

By the way, how are you coming on finding the details of this 500W amplifier coming. Seems like myself and several others have asked, and nothing seems to appear. It was started by you, so you should know everything about it. But yet we get nothing. So either this amplifier exists and you can give us details, or it does not exist and that is why you can not provide details. You supposedly built it.

You talked about old amps that used sweep tubes. Yep they did. But do you see any new designs marketed that are based on them? I don't. Unless 811s were used as sweep tubes, but based on my little bit of knowledge of history of these, they were not sweep tubes. It can be done, but the price and availability have made these now impractical.

But the point here again is that sweep tubes don't run on the 50V you said you got from the power supply you also took out of the TV. So this would imply solid state. So the whole sweep tube thing was just more verbal vomit to sound credible without providing details of this project idea.

The other point to ask about is why this magic semiconductor, that would be cheap enough to use in TV mass production, is not known about by anyone else but you? Yes even purchased new it would need to be cheap because companies need to be able to sell their products at a reasonable price. I am certain that a $400 price tag TV is not going to contain a $100 semiconductor device for the sweep circuit. And so far I have not seen any semiconductor devices with the ability to produce 500W dissipation at 30 MHz for anywhere near the price that would be practical for consumer electronics in mass production.

So it is time to put up or shut up. Otherwise anything you say anywhere can not be believed by anyone but another nutcase.

73, Stan
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2014, 01:08:51 PM »

Hello.

First off, this was at LEAST a 36" TV, and that is minimum, so clearly it is NOT a $400 price tag set.
And, as was implied, I was informed by the CB community that some large screen CRT sets have an independent HV and deflection section, and that some solid state sections can do 27 MHz.
So, a while back, when I came across a Mitsubishi really large CRT set, I took parts out, like the entire flyback section.
I do not have schematics, I asked a CB fan how to connect it.
Yes, I did not know enough.
Well, I put RF to it, and discovered that the upper end is around 32 MHz.
The AM modulation thing? that is pure CB.
But, here is what I do know, if you want 1000 watts on AM, you need a 500 watt carrier, MAXIMUM.
Simple, the carrier level rises with modulation.
So, you can gripe all you want, I was intrigued by the possibility of it in 10 meter service.
You can ask all the questions you want, more likely than not, I can not answer them.
But, take a look at a really large CRT set, what sort of output section is in there?
In the case of a Mitsubishi, it is this aluminum plate with a bunch of pop rivets mounted on the outside of an aluminum box that contains the flyback, much like older tube TVs with that funny looking tube rectifier.
But, be that as it may, it is up to YOU to hunt down an old large (huge?) CRT TV and rip out parts.
And, as far as links, there are plenty of CB sites that explain this, they will show you EXACTLY how to get 800+ watts out of it!
Pictures even!
But, if I did that everyone would be screaming that that is 11 meters and against the law, etc.
So, why do we simply call it what it is, an Amplifier for RF that can work on 10 meters.
A "Cheap 11 meter amplifier"?
As far as the rest goes, look up something to the effect of TV sweep module and Amplifier.
If the CB bunch can make it work, and hams are so much better?
And, again, just like TV sweep tunes were never intended for 10 meters, well?
I would never use an 11 meter amplifier, and, why would I?
The whole point of "Free banding" is to run more power and get away from the CB channels?
Well, like it or not, I can get away from the CB channels, and run more power, and be legal.
This may come as a shock to some of you, but I can run a touch over 1 kW, 28.0 MHz to 29.7 MHz. legally.
Now, think about how stupid this sounds.
Dude, you are an idiot! what are you going to do? tell the FCC I am on 10 meters?
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: