The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acom A600 Solid State 6-160 600W  (Read 84397 times)
WA2VUY

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2014, 04:57:14 PM »

Array Solutions says it is ready; https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3nxid2zooBw  Delivery in July. $2,790.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 09:35:08 PM »

Very nice features and price!  My only minor nitpick is the weight.  Not having read the manual I assume it has a linear power supply.  SPE's new 1.3kw amp. is a full 10lbs lighter than the Acom 600.  If the amp is not used for a dxpedition then the weight issue is moot.

The features on this amp make my THP amps look like boat anchors.

Jonathan W6GX
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 02:55:04 AM »

It might have good features but its IMD performance is very poor. I thought with a name like Acom that they would  have done just  that little of extra to make a
amplifier with good IMD performance. So despite its excellent design features technically its substandard because of its poor IMD performance. However these comments apply
to all the current range of legal amateur solid state amplifiers. It will be interesting to see how well the Hilberling solid state amplifier performs.

My bottom line with any piece of equipment is that  if it does not deliver on specifications you might as well not own it or pay a premium price for the said item.
Amateur manufacturers should justify their high prices by delivering products that have good  or excellent performance not just high prices.

Very nice features and price!  My only minor nitpick is the weight.  Not having read the manual I assume it has a linear power supply.  SPE's new 1.3kw amp. is a full 10lbs lighter than the Acom 600.  If the amp is not used for a dxpedition then the weight issue is moot.

The features on this amp make my THP amps look like boat anchors.

Jonathan W6GX
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 07:01:52 AM »

The Acom 600S has a power factor corrected switching power supply. $2790 at Array Solutions. The two Acom tube amps at this price or lower are the Acom 1000 ($2490) and the Acom 1010 ($1840).

Brochure: http://www.arraysolutions.com/Downloads/Acom/600S/ACOM%20600S%20leaflet%20small.pdf

User manual: http://www.arraysolutions.com/Downloads/Acom/600S/Manual_ACOM600S.pdf

MOSFET datasheet: http://cache.freescale.com/files/rf_if/doc/data_sheet/MRFE6VP6300H.pdf

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:07:38 AM by WX7G » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 12:07:36 PM »

Solid state Amps are only as good as the protection circuitry.  While I agree with Zenki about the IMD I would also mention that if the Amp keeps blowing up the Best IMD figures in the world are not going to be a comfort.   I have some faith in Acom that they got it right but until these amps get out in the field and we start getting feedback on their durability, I would not be getting all glassy eyed over a fancy LCD display with a lot of features that I will never be changing after day one setup. It could be said that the best SS amp is one that is not even noticeable, it just transparently changes your rig into a legal limit beast! Auto band changing great fault protection and proper quiet cooling are really all you need in its operation.   Fancy LCD's and FPGA driving them have now become a $50 item, that's not what you should be paying attention to with any SS amplifier.  A trap that many owners of the first generation of Expert SPE amplifiers fell straight into.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:20:46 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 06:16:03 PM »

It might have good features but its IMD performance is very poor.

Really?  Do you have one, and have measured it?

If so, post a photo of the resulting spectrum display.

If not, this is pure speculation and deserving of zero attention.
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »

Zenki,

For years you have been on this anonymous rant on IMD, but have chosen to not to PETITION THE FCC, to change the IMD standard.  When an amp discussed on Eham meets or exceeds FCC requirements. If you want companies to do better,  PETITION THE FCC to change their standards, to meet what YOU perceive a "acceptable".. 

On almost every amplifier topic, here comes Zenki with a comment, on how this, or that amplifier does not meet YOUR IMD requirements.  You have made your point HUNDREDS of times, that IMD is bad, so PETITION THE FCC to change their standards. That is how a "Standards" CHANGE WORKS, not years of ranting on Eham.

Sorry, but I just realized, the FCC does not accept anonymous petitions.
John W5JON     

W0QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 08:43:39 PM »

Zenki or whoever you really are, show some real measured IMD results from a credible source.  I don't find this behavior professional at all.  The amp may be very clean or not but real tests and not guesses are what is needed.  Statements without tests from someone who doesn't have the guts to even go by his call are very lame at best.

Larry, W0QE

W3DDF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 06:33:39 AM »

Zenki or whoever you really are, show some real measured IMD results from a credible source.  I don't find this behavior professional at all.  The amp may be very clean or not but real tests and not guesses are what is needed.  Statements without tests from someone who doesn't have the guts to even go by his call are very lame at best

Absolutely correct
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 06:50:25 AM »

This is an outsider's take so please read in that vein.

Obviously a promotional start, and a response in opposite vein.

Remember your First Amendment rights and privileges. He (she or it) may not enjoy the same. Or may need educating.

How much harm can a 600 watt amp cause? If it comes with full schematics and solid support I would certainly look at it.

VR2AX
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 07:12:46 AM »

The brochure lists the SPECIFICATIONS. "Intermodulations distortions (IMD3): better than 28dB (30dB typically) below the rated PEP output."

http://www.arraysolutions.com/Downloads/Acom/600S/ACOM%20600S%20leaflet%20small.pdf
LZ1VB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 09:26:18 AM »

My only minor nitpick is the weight.  Not having read the manual I assume it has a linear power supply.  SPE's new 1.3kw amp. is a full 10lbs lighter than the Acom 600. 

There is not a linear but a switching mode PS inside. It is the finals cooler that adds much to the weight (8lbs). But the huge cooler allows much lower fan speed and noise compared to the other SS amplifiers. Even more, you can turn the amplifier on and make a short QSO with no fan noise at all, as the fan starts turning not before few minutes operation at full power.  A CW or SSB operator has no chance to get over the  lowest fan speed, even during a contest run. 

Not at all. Actually the following IMD had been measured at 600W:
1.9MHz   - 40dB
3.75MHz - 39dB
7.15MHz - 38dB
10.1MHz - 41dB
14.2MHz - 43dB
18.1MHz - 34dB
21.2MHz - 40dB
24.9MHz - 32dB
28.0MHz - 33dB
50.0MHz - 30dB
52.0MHz - 30dB
54.0MHz - 28dB
The numbers are better than those of the most SS amplifiers on the market and are compatible to a good tube linear IMD on most of the bands. Of course, the IMD shown on 6M does not satisfy, but the transceivers IMD are the major concern. It is not a big deal a super linear amplifier to be driven by a transceiver whose IMD is in the mid twenties, if specified at all.

73, Val LZ1VB
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 10:28:28 AM »

My only minor nitpick is the weight.  Not having read the manual I assume it has a linear power supply.  SPE's new 1.3kw amp. is a full 10lbs lighter than the Acom 600.

There is not a linear but a switching mode PS inside. It is the finals cooler that adds much to the weight (8lbs). But the huge cooler allows much lower fan speed and noise compared to the other SS amplifiers. Even more, you can turn the amplifier on and make a short QSO with no fan noise at all, as the fan starts turning not before few minutes operation at full power.  A CW or SSB operator has no chance to get over the  lowest fan speed, even during a contest run.  

Not at all. Actually the following IMD had been measured at 600W:
1.9MHz   - 40dB
3.75MHz - 39dB
7.15MHz - 38dB
10.1MHz - 41dB
14.2MHz - 43dB
18.1MHz - 34dB
21.2MHz - 40dB
24.9MHz - 32dB
28.0MHz - 33dB
50.0MHz - 30dB
52.0MHz - 30dB
54.0MHz - 28dB
The numbers are better than those of the most SS amplifiers on the market and are compatible to a good tube linear IMD on most of the bands. Of course, the IMD shown on 6M does not satisfy, but the transceivers IMD are the major concern. It is not a big deal a super linear amplifier to be driven by a transceiver whose IMD is in the mid twenties, if specified at all.

73, Val LZ1VB

Right about now I expect to see those who said the IMD numbers were crap before actually seeing them to start lifting their foot up to insert it in to their mouth. Grin

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 10:29:07 AM »

I am very impressed with ACOM. I am looking very hard at their products.

Their auto tuner system is very interesting too.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 10:53:58 AM »

Val

Are those numbers referenced to PEP or one tone of a 2 tone signal?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: