The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad Buyers  (Read 20099 times)
W0BKR

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2014, 02:16:49 PM »

I recently had yet another experience with a jerked around buyer.  Contacted me about purchasing a radio I had listed, asked if I would accept $$ dollars.  I said, okay.  He asked what payment form, I told him.  Disconnected the radio from service, boxed it up, got it ready to go.  After 2-3 days of hearing nothing back like "mailed the payment" ,etc., I sent at least 3 emails asking if the payment had been sent. No responses.  Finally, today, I get an email from KC8SBZ now telling me he is passing on the deal.  Well, okay.  Why not do that initially.  So now, have to rip up the shipping box, get the radio back out, hook everything back up.

Question is why do this individuals do this.  You either know you are going to purchase something or not, no skin off me if you do or you don't, but why jerk people around??  If you have to ask your mom or wife first, do it before you shop and don't make offers for stuff you have no intention on purchasing.  Think I will pull the posting.  Just isn't worth the aggravation and trouble.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 06:16:01 PM »

You must have in a real hurry to get your hands on KC8SBZ' money.  Otherwise why would you pack something before you got the payment?

Next thing we'll hear about is some sap of a seller who went out and spent the sales proceeds before getting them.

N9LCD
N0YG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 06:21:54 PM »

LOL, spend before you receive funds, Now that's a good one, lol.
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 08:01:48 PM »

Well, I suppose you wait and make the buyer stew if you don't ship upon receipt of funds?  I am not worried about the funds, or making money, just wasting time after the buyer indicated he wanted the item and we agreed to a price. No, I never ship ahead of funds, but I do get things ready to not make the buyer wait a week until I get "around" to packing things up.  Glad I don't buy from you too. LMFAO. Grin

BTW YG, ever return that 950 you took?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:11:22 PM by W0ARX » Logged
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 04:31:18 AM »

Well, I suppose you wait and make the buyer stew if you don't ship upon receipt of funds?  I am not worried about the funds, or making money, just wasting time after the buyer indicated he wanted the item and we agreed to a price. No, I never ship ahead of funds, but I do get things ready to not make the buyer wait a week until I get "around" to packing things up.  Glad I don't buy from you too. LMFAO. Grin

BTW YG, ever return that 950 you took?

Did you ever think, since you are selling it anyway, just to leave it in the box until it IS sold and just ship it when the funds arrive?

Or like others have said, don't box it until you are ready to ship. Cash in hand and all of that. I am sure any buyer will not mind a 24-48 hour window to have it shipped. I sure don't mind, I am a busy person too. And my expectations are based on what I can do or can not do.

I applaud your zeal to ship ASAP, but if a customer, for some reason, decides not to complete the deal, you should be just as prepared. It is also part of the buying and selling world.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 05:52:52 AM »

I recently had yet another experience with a jerked around buyer.  Contacted me about purchasing a radio I had listed, asked if I would accept $$ dollars.  I said, okay.  He asked what payment form, I told him.  Disconnected the radio from service, boxed it up, got it ready to go.  After 2-3 days of hearing nothing back like "mailed the payment" ,etc., I sent at least 3 emails asking if the payment had been sent. No responses.  Finally, today, I get an email from KC8SBZ now telling me he is passing on the deal.  Well, okay.  Why not do that initially.  So now, have to rip up the shipping box, get the radio back out, hook everything back up.

Question is why do this individuals do this.  You either know you are going to purchase something or not, no skin off me if you do or you don't, but why jerk people around??  If you have to ask your mom or wife first, do it before you shop and don't make offers for stuff you have no intention on purchasing.  Think I will pull the posting.  Just isn't worth the aggravation and trouble.
While I agree with you, once someone has said they will take something, they should take it, (I tell them that they have 24 hours to make payment via Paypal), I NEVER pack it up and get it labeled until I am ready, if the item is in use, and needed for my station, it stays on the shelf.  I don't sell it until it is surplus.  That avoids the situation you encountered.  For instance, I have a PS-125 from Icom I will be selling soon...  It is photographed, cleaned, and packed in the box already.  I have not even advertised it yet.  I never advertise anything until it is ready for shipment... 

I actually think that forums that don't allow live responses to "For Sale" ads are partly to blame for this...  If the buyer could allow an "I'll take it", to determine the sale of an item, in public, I suspect a lot of this sort of thing would end...  Look at the mess QRZ.COM's want ads have become over the past year or so, and I believe it is all traceable to the lack of response being allowed...  If a person is a cheater, it gets posted...  If a call sign gets hacked, it gets posted, and the seller knows about it, if someone says they will take an item, it gets posted in public...  The very public nature of allowing the postings, tends to calm things down...  I can't imagine the amount of work QRZ now has with the for sale pages, that is not needed...  If people piss each other off by posting things like "That is overpriced", on a for sale ad, too bad...  Take it up with the person posting it, not the entire user-base by restricting them all from posting.

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 06:45:51 PM »

Hi Dave,

Interesting idea. Has this been tried in the past? And if it was, what stopped it from becoming a mess from useless messages being posted to an add? And what would stop an add from becoming a forum if some people used an add to just start posting diatribes like seen here in the forums?

But I agree, if things were in public, then the hanky panky would be reduced.

73, Stan
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 08:49:07 PM »

Hi Dave,

Interesting idea. Has this been tried in the past? And if it was, what stopped it from becoming a mess from useless messages being posted to an add? And what would stop an add from becoming a forum if some people used an add to just start posting diatribes like seen here in the forums?

But I agree, if things were in public, then the hanky panky would be reduced.
I believe that the rule for no replies started a year or so ago...  Something like that...  There were a few posts, now and then, but on the whole the "For Sale" areas were running just fine...  Someone would post something for sale, someone  would reply with an "I'll take it", and all was done...  Every so often someone would add a stupid comment, but maybe once in a hundred posts...  But, for some reason QRZ has decided that they must protect the users from each other...  I suspect someone killed a sale with a smart comment, and the seller started whining... 

Of late a lot of new rules have been coming up at QRZ...  The latest is one can not discuss the moderates jobs...  For instance, this discussion would be grounds for banning if it were taking place on QRZ.  I am sure they are doing what they think is right, but in this case, I think it backfired on them with the "For Sale" section.

Thanks,
Dave
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 01:19:53 AM »

Thanks Dave! I guess people behaved better then I thought...LOL

73, Stan
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 06:06:29 AM »

Thanks Dave! I guess people behaved better then I thought...LOL
Hi,
I have found that for the most part people do behave fine...  It only takes a few bad apples to really mess things up...  Take care!

Thanks,
Dave
NR9R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 02:02:39 PM »

I've backed out of a few deals.  The way it usually unfolds is that an item is listed in excellent or like new condition so I immediately jump on it and state:

"I'll take it as long as you can confirm that it has not been exposed to smoke and can send some pics."  

Then I might receive a response like, "ok. fb.  send usps mo only.  good in qrz"

So I again restate my questions: "Has the item been exposed to smoke?  Please send some pics so I can confirm the condition"

Next response:  "rig looks good.  camera is not working now but wl try to get you a pic"

Then while waiting a few days for a pic I'll get an update:

"did you send paymnt?  hve another buyer now."

[Alternatively, I will be sent out of focus pictures of dust covered equipment with visible scratches.]

That's when I respond: "I'll pass on this one.  Thanks"

Then:  "dont waist my time if you cant go threw on a deal"

...and you end up being reported on the forum as a "bad buyer."

In no way am I insinuating that this was the experience of W0ARX.  I am just bringing to light that sometimes the seller does it to himself/herself.  I often suspect this of sellers who find it necessary to include "NO TIRE KICKERS" in every ad they post.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:09:28 PM by NR9R » Logged
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 08:25:40 PM »

You must have in a real hurry to get your hands on KC8SBZ' money.  Otherwise why would you pack something before you got the payment?

I don't know about you but I GET THE MONEY BEFORE I SHIP so when I pack it up and get it ready, that has NO EFFECT on getting the payment.  I do that too and its done both as a courtesy to the buyer (at least, a RESPONSIBLE ONE) so I can ship it promptly and also for me; to get an unpleasant chore out of the way.

I had a similar experience a couple months ago.  Some idiot wanted a replacement meter; was SURE he wanted it, and was sending the money "right away".  So, having an appropriate box handy, I packed it and addressed it and ZAP!, the idiot disappeared, never to be heard from again.

So...NEVER AGAIN.  From now on I'll throw perfectly good stuff in the trash, especially the "unobtainium" type stuff that's no longer available, rather than offer to sell it to save someone a couple bucks or rescue a project.  SCREW THEM!  LET 'EM PAY FULL PRICE from a vendor or come to me in person with money in hand!
Tom
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:38:26 PM by WB6DGN » Logged
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »

Hi Tom, I too NEVER EVER ship until I have money in hand or a payment that is "cleared" and good to go.  I do however, get things ready for the buyer to be fair and upstanding and not make them wait for this item "until I am good and ready to ship it".  That is ludicrous.  I have always maintained that if I sell something to someone, they have a right to expect it within a reasonable amount of time, and not have to wait a week for me to "get around" to sending it via UPS, Fed Ex or UPS.  Why?

On the other side of the coin, if I decide to purchase something, I communicate with the Seller to let them know when to expect the payment in the mail, via pay pal, etc.  I owe them that communication.  I don't just disappear if I "change my mind".  I have on some rare occassions, purchase a less than $100 item only to realize after I gave my word, that I really didn't want it or need it but purchased it anyway.  Why?  Because my commitment/word to the Seller means something.  Perhaps I am not like the 1% out there, but then again, I am known for being honest and truthful.

I recently had a nice experience with an op that purchased an item from me.  We talked on the phone, he sent $25 via Pay Pal just for me to know he was serious (wasn't required), and then promptly sent me an email when he had the balance in the mail, etc., and I told him when I received it and I communicated when it was sent and he communicated when he received it.

never once did he have me wait 2-3 days, wondering if he was going to send the funds, etc. only to bail.  That just isn't ethical to me.  No, no one is out of equipment or money but it just isn't the right thing or way to treat people.  Perhaps a vent,  whatever, but certainly not how I would conduct myself.

At least I will never be known for stealing gear or money from folks .
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 11:50:08 AM »

Oh, and NO, I didn't need the money nor need the money badly.  Some do, and post accordingly.  I was reducing unused, unnecessary gear.  If I needed money that badly, I would use Ebay to get it faster.  LMFAO.  That was a funny and inane comment.  Grin Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: