The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New reason to dump XP  (Read 79481 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2014, 05:45:05 AM »

There has been a lot of debated on the safety of using XP when no longer being updated well here is another reason to move on.  Oracle is readying the release of Java 8 soon with performance and security enhancements. It will not be possible to upgrade XP to Java 8 because it requires a "blessing" from MS in the form of some code that MS will not provide because it is EOL (end of life). This adds another bullet to chamber when playing Russian roulette with XP. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 08:39:34 AM »

There has been a lot of debated on the safety of using XP when no longer being updated well here is another reason to move on.  Oracle is readying the release of Java 8 soon with performance and security enhancements. It will not be possible to upgrade XP to Java 8 because it requires a "blessing" from MS in the form of some code that MS will not provide because it is EOL (end of life). This adds another bullet to chamber when playing Russian roulette with XP. 

Thanks for your concern about all our computers here on eham, but XP is not going to be "dumped" from this QTH anytime for the foreseeable future. And as for Java, that POS software infected my Vista computer with one of their updates a few years back.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 08:56:23 AM »

That doesn't add up. There is nothing new in XP that would prevent Oracle from porting the next version of Java to it.
Are Oracle taking a bung off Microsoft? Makes you wonder

Like W4KYR I'm not abandoning XP despite having 7 on multi boot on this machine

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 08:59:10 AM »

There has been a lot of debated on the safety of using XP when no longer being updated well here is another reason to move on.  Oracle is readying the release of Java 8 soon with performance and security enhancements. It will not be possible to upgrade XP to Java 8 because it requires a "blessing" from MS in the form of some code that MS will not provide because it is EOL (end of life). This adds another bullet to chamber when playing Russian roulette with XP.  

Thanks for your concern about all our computers here on eham, but XP is not going to be "dumped" from this QTH anytime for the foreseeable future. And as for Java, that POS software infected my Vista computer with one of their updates a few years back.

Java itself infects nothing but in past it has had security issues that have always been updated and corrected when found. (most current is ver 7 build 60) Some programers have used these holes to access your system before they were plugged. If you had a issue it is because you were not current with Java updates or did not delete older versions of Java too) and also since you did have a issue (as you claim anyway) from a security hole that was exploited, it is even funnier how you cling to XP which is growing more holes every day that are being plugged in newer versions of Windoze but not. discontinued versions. You will get toasted one day but you will blame it on something besides using a unsupported OS.

Also on Oracle update, Java has to interface with MS code and with their blessing to add Java support because MS owns code. MS will not bless this because it would imply they are supporting OS when they are not.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:06:14 AM by W8JX » Logged

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:30:59 AM »

Thanks for the update. We have a few machines that run XP so I guess they will have to keep on running ver7 until that no longer works and at that point Asta LaVista Java.
Microsoft is not going to tell me when to spend my money.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 11:30:59 AM »

Amen

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:26:01 PM »

Amen

Actually one day the Web will dictate that when either a security breach on a unsupported OS or when you realize modern features you will want supported on day simply are not supported on 7 and older.

N4AAB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 12:36:18 PM »

Amen

Actually one day the Web will dictate that when either a security breach on a unsupported OS or when you realize modern features you will want supported on day simply are not supported on 7 and older.

You can get on the web without using anything written by Microsoft. So it doesn't matter what those nutters at MS do.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 12:41:30 PM »

When Microsoft provides a new OS that presents new and useful features that the majority of the public wants then people will voluntarily give up their old OS and purchase the new. That's capitalism. What is not right is for Microsoft to attempt to force people to purchase a new OS (which often requires a new computer to support it) which has features that the majority don't need and don't want by discontinuing support for an OS that most people are happy with.

It would be like the government forcing all gas stations to close in order to force everyone to go out and purchase a new all-electric vehicle. Then in a few years when the battery dies, they discontinue mfg of compatible batteries in order to force everyone to junk their otherwise good vehicle and purchase another new one.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 01:42:55 PM »

More gloom and doom from the Microsoft shill?  Geez, he just doesn't get it, I guess.  

'Better watch it--the XP computer case lid is falling!'    Shocked
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:03:50 PM by K1CJS » Logged
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »

Quote from: W8JX on Today at 12:26:01 PM
Quote from: W4KYR on Today at 11:30:59 AM
Quote from: KD8MJR on Today at 10:30:59 AM

Amen

I'm sorry but Microsoft, despite their monopoly, are subject to market forces whether they like it or not.
That is why they are back tracking at warp speed

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 02:08:14 PM »

I'm sorry but Microsoft, despite their monopoly, are subject to market forces whether they like it or not.

You got that one right.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 02:30:40 PM »

'm sorry but Microsoft, despite their monopoly, are subject to market forces whether they like it or not.

Not hardly. The warp speed back track you claim is a split metro screen with a greatly modified start menu in function and appearance. I do not miss start menu at all but I can see where some that are a bit challenged and slow to adopt change.

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »

I do not miss start menu at all but I can see where some that are a bit challenged and slow to adopt change.

I think that is an insult to say people are "challenged"  because they dislike the look of Metro.

And it also an insult to say that people are slow to adopt change because they are not accepting what Microsoft released.

Why would anyone buy something that they dislike? Because Microsoft made it?

I condemn Microsoft for coming out with this ill conceived, dysfunctional GUI without any forethought to their own customers and without any thought to their corporate clients and forcing this crap on the public.

I praise Microsoft for admitting they F-ed up and now are correcting the problem with the return of the traditional desktop GUI with the release of Windows 9.

For Microsoft to admit they they screwed up with anything (especially Metro) IS big news. Some years ago, this would have been unheard of.

Maybe Microsoft finally realized that arrogance (and having an take it or leave it approach) is really not a good way to sell or promote product....or gain new customers for that matter.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 04:16:34 PM »

Come on. You're not drinking enough of the Microsoft cool aid  Wink

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: