The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New reason to dump XP  (Read 79472 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 04:22:06 PM »

I do not miss start menu at all but I can see where some that are a bit challenged and slow to adopt change.

I think that is an insult to say people are "challenged"  because they dislike the look of Metro.

And it also an insult to say that people are slow to adopt change because they are not accepting what Microsoft released.

The truth can hurt. Why do some cling tightly to XP and race to try and find Win 7 machines? Because they either do not want too or cannot adapt to change. Said part is they are ham stringing themselves because 8x adds a lot of feature when you learn them a new Metro programs will run on 9 and 10 when it ships. I do think it is a matter of time before Win32 is phased out. You can learn changes now or wait when it will be a even bigger hurdle to cross.  

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 04:42:47 PM »

Why do some cling tightly to XP and race to try and find Win 7 machines? Because they either do not want too or cannot adapt to change.

The replacement for XP and Windows 7 is not popular and awkward to what they are currently using.  Microsoft even recognized they made a mistake with Metro. I thought I mentioned that fact in one of my last posts.

If people have to learn anything, learn Linux and get off the "Upgrade Merry Go Round" once and for good.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:44:59 PM by W4KYR » Logged

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 04:49:15 PM »

Quite simple.
There are more XP machines in use than Win8 machines.
As I said before, Microsoft HAVE to answer to the market.
Abuse your monopoly position and you will disappear as your customers leave you for something else.
Even Microsoft don't talk about Windows 8 any more its "New Windows"
I'm sorry but Metro is a dead end as far as real computers are concerned

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 05:27:58 PM »

Quite simple.
There are more XP machines in use than Win8 machines.
As I said before, Microsoft HAVE to answer to the market.
Abuse your monopoly position and you will disappear as your customers leave you for something else.
Even Microsoft don't talk about Windows 8 any more its "New Windows"
I'm sorry but Metro is a dead end as far as real computers are concerned

I lot of XP machines are in third world countries and parties too cheap to update. I am typing this on a Metro tablet. But you would rather use a clunky desktop or big laptop to do the same. Not me. Obviously others too as why Apple rose quick (only to fall in future)  With out metro today MS would not even have a small foothold in tablet world.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 07:15:10 PM »

there's three websites saying Windows 9 will be a free upgrade to 7, 8.1, and some server version.  8.1 is almost tolerable once you set desktop as your base, and install some cheapware that allows running "metro" apps in a window.  but on my laptop, it still jumps places I wasn't going to go on the screen periodically due to the touchpad.  weasels.  almost hope the LA Clippers loses 80 straight when Ballmer buys 'em.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 07:34:57 PM »

It's the installer that has trouble on XP not Java itself.
Also SETI@home is not supposed to work on domain controllers  (but runs fine on mine)

It's already solved and the answer is out there.
Running Java 8 on XP is anyone's choice if they want to do it.

That is all.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 08:05:39 PM »

there's three websites saying Windows 9 will be a free upgrade to 7, 8.1, and some server version.  8.1 is almost tolerable once you set desktop as your base, and install some cheapware that allows running "metro" apps in a window.  but on my laptop, it still jumps places I wasn't going to go on the screen periodically due to the touchpad.  weasels.  almost hope the LA Clippers loses 80 straight when Ballmer buys 'em.

I would not be shocked if it was free for Win8 users since all they are going to do is change the GUI.  I would be surprised if they gave it to Win7 users, that would smack of serious desperation or something else.  If it does happen I won' be upgrading to win9!  It's all getting to be a little too weird for me.

First they tell us that almost everybody's credit card has been hacked and needs changing then they say eBay is hacked and force all users to change their passwords!  If Win9 becomes free to Win7 users my question would be why?  Why all of a sudden on the cusp of what I believe is the high point in public spying are they trying to get everyone to change passwords and now software.  Was win8 supposed to open doors into peoples data?  If it's not selling then they may be looking for a new quick way to get whatever Win8 has into peoples hands.

Sure some will say I am super paranoid but I see whats happening with peoples personal data and I know from the public outrage that this picnic wont be lasting much longer, so is someone trying to insert what they need before the doors slam shut.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 04:02:27 AM »

I have seen no unwanted jumps on tablet or laptop. It is very well behaved here. If yours does you likely have hardware/touch screen issues not OS itself. Not sure why you would want to run a metro app in a window.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 05:16:32 AM »

Because your a hi techie, think your ahead of the curve, trying to keep up with other like mined folks who will also buy into the hyped up latest and greatest thinking it's progress weather they need it or not.

This is an experiment on my 14 year old XP lap top to see if it still works.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 05:45:06 AM »

Because your a hi techie, think your ahead of the curve, trying to keep up with other like mined folks who will also buy into the hyped up latest and greatest thinking it's progress weather they need it or not.

The desktop has been stagnate for many years with no real change and the old Windows API limited future development. Apple had great initial success with Ipad and Iphone because people were hungry for a change. I they had not been they would of flopped. MS approached 8 as a tablet OS first that also supported desktops rather than as a desktop OS which failed miserably in past on tablets or smart phones. It is not that I am a techie as much as it is I was hungry to move past old windows and its limitations. Win 8x concepts will gain traction with time. When used on a tablet Metro plays well. I actually prefer RT on tablet because it is a all new OS from ground up and has a small memory footprint unlike full 8 on a tablet that needs more memory and CPU to work smoothly. (RT uses only 300 to 400meg to boot and full 8 needs 800 to 1000 meg so RT runs well on 2gig and full 8 really needs 4 gig)  Metro is very touch friendly when you learn it and as far as RT not supporting legacy apps It is not a concern on a tablet for me as I prefer Metro friendly apps. 

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 06:21:50 AM »

I would not be shocked if it was free for Win8 users since all they are going to do is change the GUI.  I would be surprised if they gave it to Win7 users, that would smack of serious desperation or something else.  If it does happen I won' be upgrading to win9!  It's all getting to be a little too weird for me....

I'd be a little surprised too if Microsoft decided to offer Win 9 to Win 7 users--but not too surprised.  The reason?  Microsoft itself announced--granted, in a 'round about way--that they recognize that Windows 8 is a failure, and has bombed out even worse than Vista.  Heck, they're still giving 8.1 away free--although that being a severely curtailed version.  Their offering it to Win 7 users would be in a sense an apology and more, maybe also a promise that they'll not ignore their users anymore like they did on Win 8.  

I would think it would be more likely, though, if they offered it to Windows 7 users as a steep discount, like they did in the beginning with Windows 8--$30 or $40 dollars for the complete upgrade and the user key.
N4AAB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 10:24:06 AM »

I noticed starting in Vista, on laptops, that simply pausing the mouse pointer for 1-3 seconds on a folder or link, the computer would open the folder or go to the link. (I maybe about to answer the phone, and don't want to open that folder or go to that link.)

No clicking needed.

I found out this was considered a 'Great Idea', but many people I was doing tech support for hated it.

I would love to know how to turn it off.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 11:02:38 AM »

I noticed starting in Vista, on laptops, that simply pausing the mouse pointer for 1-3 seconds on a folder or link, the computer would open the folder or go to the link. (I maybe about to answer the phone, and don't want to open that folder or go to that link.)

No clicking needed.

I found out this was considered a 'Great Idea', but many people I was doing tech support for hated it.

I would love to know how to turn it off.

Funny, I have never seen this.

W5TD

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 09:12:02 PM »

It would be like the government forcing all gas stations to close in order to force everyone to go out and purchase a new all-electric vehicle.

Dont give them any ideas! Wait, they already did that with light bulbs.
W5TD

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 09:17:20 PM »

I do not miss start menu at all but I can see where some that are a bit challenged and slow to adopt change.

I think that is an insult to say people are "challenged"  because they dislike the look of Metro.

And it also an insult to say that people are slow to adopt change because they are not accepting what Microsoft released.

Why would anyone buy something that they dislike? Because Microsoft made it?

Or buy something they don't need?  Liking or disliking Windows 7 or 8 has nothing to do with it.  The computers I am using XP on work fine. They have adequate speed for what I do.  I don't need more processing power.  Windows XP does everything I need (and more than I need). Spending money unnecessarily just so I can avoid "being stuck in the past" is stupid. 
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: