The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New reason to dump XP  (Read 79506 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2014, 06:39:55 PM »

Windows 7 support ends January 14, 2020

Windows Vista support ends April 11, 2017

Source:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

There is two levels of support and those dates are for security fix only not for full OS support dah...  Main stream support ends Jan 13, 2015 for 7 period. It ends for 8 on jan 9, 2018. Do the math.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 06:45:33 PM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2014, 07:08:18 AM »

Sorry, John. I just couldn't resist. :-)

That was funny Grin
Win7 support will never stop in 6 months and anyone who believes that has no clue as to how MS operates.  Even 2 years from now most large companies and Government offices will still be using win7 as the primary workstation OS.

Oh they will stop updating features and OS. Bank on it. They will offer extended security fix/updates only after 6 months. No service packs or updates otherwise. Vista stopped updates a few years ago and only gets security fixs now so it is still viable and secure unlike XP. Resources will be spent on updating 8, getting 9 ready and development of 9's replacement.

Correction: Mainstream support which includes feature updates ends Jan. 2015. Security updates are provide up to Jan. 2020.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

Considering that Windows 7 has been out for 5 years now they have pretty much gotten the bugs out and have added all the needed features.  People who like Windows 7 are not making a bad decision to stick with it for another 5-6 years.  By the time Windows 7 has reach it's end-of-life, Windows 8's successor should be out and already on SP1, providing a safe upgrade path for those who wish to skip Windows 8 & 8.1.

Essentially Windows 7 will be the next XP, a well liked Windows OS with a long life.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2014, 09:59:18 AM »

Security updates are provide up to Jan. 2020.

And that's all we really need, as far as we are concerned. That's all I care about. And until that happens, I will be a happy Windows 7 user (just like I am also a happy Xubuntu user :-) .

Considering that Windows 7 has been out for 5 years now they have pretty much gotten the bugs out and have added all the needed features.  People who like Windows 7 are not making a bad decision to stick with it for another 5-6 years. ... Essentially Windows 7 will be the next XP, a well liked Windows OS with a long life.

Very well said!

We have zero problems with Win7. Microsoft got it right. We have no interest whatsoever in any new OS, because we don't need one.

And the one XP Pro machine I have here works just fine for what I use it for, thank you very much. Sure, I have to take some common-sense security precautions, but that's fine.

I could say plenty more, but it's already been said.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:02:19 AM by W0BTU » Logged

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: July 29, 2014, 11:05:51 AM »

Security updates are provide up to Jan. 2020.

And that's all we really need, as far as we are concerned. That's all I care about. And until that happens, I will be a happy Windows 7 user (just like I am also a happy Xubuntu user :-) .

Considering that Windows 7 has been out for 5 years now they have pretty much gotten the bugs out and have added all the needed features.  People who like Windows 7 are not making a bad decision to stick with it for another 5-6 years. ... Essentially Windows 7 will be the next XP, a well liked Windows OS with a long life.

Very well said!

We have zero problems with Win7. Microsoft got it right. We have no interest whatsoever in any new OS, because we don't need one.

And the one XP Pro machine I have here works just fine for what I use it for, thank you very much. Sure, I have to take some common-sense security precautions, but that's fine.

I could say plenty more, but it's already been said.

Considering how much hardware has changed since 7 was designed and shipped it is silly to cling to it another five years. By then you will be so far behind curve it will be ridiculous. A whole new family of software that will not run on 7 and will need 8 and above. I never had any problems with Vista SP1 32 or 64 bit on good hardware so 7 did not fix anything for me nor warrant a upgrade from Vista to 7. A waste of money. 8x is a much bigger upgrade over 7 than 7 is over Vista or XP. Love being able to use same basic OS on tablet and laptop. (using 8.1 tablet now) So stick head in sand and get left behind while technology moves forward.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2014, 11:38:01 AM »

Considering that Windows 7 has been out for 5 years now they have pretty much gotten the bugs out and have added all the needed features.  People who like Windows 7 are not making a bad decision to stick with it for another 5-6 years.  By the time Windows 7 has reach it's end-of-life, Windows 8's successor should be out and already on SP1, providing a safe upgrade path for those who wish to skip Windows 8 & 8.1.

Essentially Windows 7 will be the next XP, a well liked Windows OS with a long life.

Exactly.  W8JX keeps on talking as if MS adding new features to Win7 was ever on anybody radar.  MS does 1 or 2 service packs during the first year or two of the product and thats it.  Most of these service packs don't even add new features.  As for the "security updates" that's another farce, they will keep releasing them as long as they have big clients still using the OS.  Just like they did for XP the other day.

If two years from now MS upgrades something like .NET framework they will release a compatible version for win7.  That's adding new features but MS avoids making the connection.  In any case the end result is that Win7 will run anything that Win 9 can run for at least two years after win9 is released and Ironically Win7 will probably run a lot more software than Win8 ever will  because most companies see the vultures circling win8 and they are waiting for Win9. 

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: July 29, 2014, 12:03:55 PM »

Considering how much hardware has changed since 7 was designed and shipped it is silly to cling to it another five years. By then you will be so far behind curve it will be ridiculous. A whole new family of software that will not run on 7 and will need 8 and above. I never had any problems with Vista SP1 32 or 64 bit on good hardware so 7 did not fix anything for me nor warrant a upgrade from Vista to 7. A waste of money. 8x is a much bigger upgrade over 7 than 7 is over Vista or XP. Love being able to use same basic OS on tablet and laptop. (using 8.1 tablet now) So stick head in sand and get left behind while technology moves forward.

I don't see Windows 8x as an upgrade, but rather a colossal mistake based on pure hype, poor research, not fully understanding the marketplace, not listening to customers, and not heeding advice of experts. 

It is Ridiculous to go buy a new computer when there is no valid reason to buy one unless someone really needs a new computer. Not everyone has money to piss away for new computer every time Microsoft happens to comes out with a new version of Windows. And even far fewer will buy a new computer with Windows 8.

Maybe people who might have bought a new computer, didn't because of Windows 8. And perhaps they are waiting and saving their money for when Windows 9 is released. (I think later this year around the holidays IMO)

If people still have Vista, they are good till 2017. And if they have Windows 7, they are still good till 2020. And that is from Microsoft's own site. If those dates are incorrect, then is Microsoft lying?

I could care less what Operating System people are using. The same way I could care less if people use Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood. They all have some positives and negatives and it is a personal decision.

What I do care about is that people might be misled into thinking that if they do not buy a new computer with Windows 8 that the sky will fall.

Do you own a computer store? Or are you a Microsoft Representative or sell Software for a living? That is the impression I have been getting.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
AE5J

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: July 29, 2014, 01:12:31 PM »

I could care less what Operating System people are using. The same way I could care less if people use Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood. They all have some positives and negatives and it is a personal decision.
Exactly. You're 100% correct. Further, I could care less what anyone, even a MS shill who doesn't have the first clue how to build an operating system or program at the assembly level, thinks about what I have or don't have or what equipment I use or don't use.

JX you can just go pound sand my friend. If I choose to run DOS or XP or whatever you happen to dislike, it is just too bad. If I drive a Ford and you happen to disagree, too bad. Tell you what though. YOU GO BUY ME A COPY OF WIN 8. That way, if I don't need it, I'm not out any of my hard earned cash. If it's trash, I'll chunk it. Put YOUR money up and I'll be delighted.

Better still, go BUY EVERYBODY ON HERE WHO DISAGREES WITH YOU A COPY. You seem to feel so strongly that everyone who doesn't have Win 8 is so antiquated and doomed, surely it isn't asking too much for you to invest a few thousand bucks to bring us all into the 21st century and save us from our obsolescence. Maybe MS will donate some of their non-moving inventory...huh?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: July 29, 2014, 01:14:01 PM »

It's funny how these threads keep see-sawing back and forth.  Eleven pages of repeating essentially the same thing wears thin.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: July 29, 2014, 02:11:04 PM »

It's funny how these threads keep see-sawing back and forth.  Eleven pages of repeating essentially the same thing wears thin.

Any thread that involves W8JX ends up being like that.  If says the World is Flat, you could take him up to the ISS and he would still come back and tell you it was Flat!

That why W0BTU made this post 2 pages ago.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:13:16 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: July 29, 2014, 07:12:50 PM »

Exactly.  W8JX keeps on talking as if MS adding new features to Win7 was ever on anybody radar.  MS does 1 or 2 service packs during the first year or two of the product and thats it.  Most of these service packs don't even add new features.  As for the "security updates" that's another farce, they will keep releasing them as long as they have big clients still using the OS.  Just like they did for XP the other day.

If two years from now MS upgrades something like .NET framework they will release a compatible version for win7.  That's adding new features but MS avoids making the connection.  In any case the end result is that Win7 will run anything that Win 9 can run for at least two years after win9 is released and Ironically Win7 will probably run a lot more software than Win8 ever will  because most companies see the vultures circling win8 and they are waiting for Win9. 

So sad you are. Win 7 will never run everything that 8 & 9 and beyond because it does not and will never support the new API's that they support. 7 like Vista and even XP will only support old API's while 8 and beyond will support both. Thank goodness that those that develop tablets and future software for them are not limited to your vision of future. Hardware and how we interact with it is rapidly changing and 7 has no future in it.

AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: July 29, 2014, 08:20:32 PM »

So sad you are. Win 7 will never run everything that 8 & 9 and beyond because it does not and will never support the new API's that they support.

John,

I have three new PC's, two running Windows 7 and the third running Windows 8 (in desktop mode with Classic Shell).  Each came with the version of Windows provided by the manufacturer. All three run the desktop apps that I like and that make me productive.  All three also run the ham apps I use regularly like HRD, WSJT-X, RufzXP, etc.

What is the killer feature of Windows 8, or the killer Windows 8 desktop app that won't run on Windows 7 that would convince me to upgrade my two Windows 7 PC's to 8 or 8.1?  Because right now I don't see an advantage.  Note that I'm restricting this to desktop apps that work well with a physical keyboard and mouse. No touch screens, no tablet or phone apps as these PC's run huge displays with screens I don't want covered with finger prints.

This is an honest question because you're saying I should spend an additional $200 - $400 to upgrade those already useful computers.  But you know, I'd much rather spend that money on ham gear, like that Arduino based Ten-Tec QRP rig and hack away on that (FYI the Arduino software dev kit STILL runs on Windows 7, hi hi).

Awaiting your cogent answer.

73 de Ray AG6WT
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2014, 08:28:08 PM »

Well said.

There is absolutely nothing sad about running Win 7 on a desktop computer.  Many of us have machines for dedicated purposes and don't care about yet to be developed software.  We just want to run software we currently use. 

Perhaps when some new killer app becomes available I'll look at Win 8, or better yet its successor.  And I still don't want a tablet.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: July 30, 2014, 04:03:12 AM »

Well said.

There is absolutely nothing sad about running Win 7 on a desktop computer.  Many of us have machines for dedicated purposes and don't care about yet to be developed software.  We just want to run software we currently use. 

Perhaps when some new killer app becomes available I'll look at Win 8, or better yet its successor.  And I still don't want a tablet.

I use Android and 8.1 tablet a lot. I prefer 8.1 over Droid. I easily use tablets far more than laptops. Small easy to use 10+ hours battery life. With a clip on or wireless keyboard a tablet can become a laptop. None of this possible with old technology hardware and 7. If there had been a Metro 4 years ago it would off been more refined now and Apple would of had far less success.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2014, 04:08:54 AM »

Any thread that involves W8JX ends up being like that.  If says the World is Flat, you could take him up to the ISS and he would still come back and tell you it was Flat!

Tell me something I don't know.  That's one reason I don't even look at his posts.  The other reason is that over half of what he says is either wrong--or skewed so badly that just about anyone (except his cronies) would ever believe it.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2014, 10:54:16 AM »

Well said.

I use Android and 8.1 tablet a lot. I prefer 8.1 over Droid. I easily use tablets far more than laptops. Small easy to use 10+ hours battery life. With a clip on or wireless keyboard a tablet can become a laptop. None of this possible with old technology hardware and 7. If there had been a Metro 4 years ago it would off been more refined now and Apple would of had far less success.

Typical response!!
You go on and on about something and when someone asks you to back up your claim you immediately change the topic.

If there is a program out there that runs only on Win8 it's probably some sort of tile shuffler Grin  In any case it most likely crushes your argument completely and that's why you changed the topic.

Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: