The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New reason to dump XP  (Read 79490 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2014, 11:23:32 AM »

"If there is a program out there that runs only on Win8 it's probably some sort of tile shuffler"

I guess 'Windows 8 Indexing' and 'Windows 8 Charms'  runs only on Windows 8.  

Does "Format C:"  run any faster on Windows 8?

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:58:08 AM by W4KYR » Logged

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2014, 12:01:42 PM »

Well said.

There is absolutely nothing sad about running Win 7 on a desktop computer.  Many of us have machines for dedicated purposes and don't care about yet to be developed software.  We just want to run software we currently use. 

Perhaps when some new killer app becomes available I'll look at Win 8, or better yet its successor.  And I still don't want a tablet.

I use Android and 8.1 tablet a lot. I prefer 8.1 over Droid. I easily use tablets far more than laptops. Small easy to use 10+ hours battery life. With a clip on or wireless keyboard a tablet can become a laptop. None of this possible with old technology hardware and 7. If there had been a Metro 4 years ago it would off been more refined now and Apple would of had far less success.

Typical response!!
You go on and on about something and when someone asks you to back up your claim you immediately change the topic.

If there is a program out there that runs only on Win8 it's probably some sort of tile shuffler Grin  In any case it most likely crushes your argument completely and that's why you changed the topic.

Not at all any program that requires metro to run will not run on 7 and there are a lot of them and number will only increase. I read over a year ago that one reason 8 even had a desktop mode was because Office needed it. I do not know how true this is but I do know you can launch Office from Metro but it opens in desktop mode. I use a lot of utility apps that are not available for 7 and I like online store too.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2014, 12:23:55 PM »

So please answer AG6WT question and give us some examples of programs that work under Win8 only. Unless your saying your whole argument is based on a few utility apps? If so can you at least name these apps so we can see how good they are.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:27:26 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2014, 01:26:12 PM »

Not at all any program that requires metro to run will not run on 7 and there are a lot of them and number will only increase. I read over a year ago that one reason 8 even had a desktop mode was because Office needed it. I do not know how true this is but I do know you can launch Office from Metro but it opens in desktop mode. I use a lot of utility apps that are not available for 7 and I like online store too.

I think that's bogus, about the Win 8 desktop mode . . . Metro makes sense on a touch device only. It makes no sense on a keyboard/mouse only machine with no touch screen. So Win 8 could not have been Metro only. 

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2014, 01:50:34 PM »

I think that's bogus, about the Win 8 desktop mode . . . Metro makes sense on a touch device only. It makes no sense on a keyboard/mouse only machine with no touch screen. So Win 8 could not have been Metro only. 

I agree it sounds funny but Win 8 was originally designed as a tablet OS adapted to desktop.  As far as Metro Apps I use Flipboard a lot and a few WiFi utilities not supported on 7. I also like split screen that allows you to see two apps at once and control sizes or wipe on off screen. 8 has a completely different graphics API to support tablet functions and 7 does not and never will support programs using advance API. Technology is not static and is changing rapidly in laptop and touch screen world yet some want to shift to reverse and stay with old ways because they do not like change and never learned newer options. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2014, 03:04:52 PM »

I agree it sounds funny but Win 8 was originally designed as a tablet OS adapted to desktop.  As far as Metro Apps I use Flipboard a lot and a few WiFi utilities not supported on 7.

So Flipboard is the main reason we should all run out and get Win8  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2014, 03:23:41 PM »

I agree it sounds funny but Win 8 was originally designed as a tablet OS adapted to desktop.  As far as Metro Apps I use Flipboard a lot and a few WiFi utilities not supported on 7.

So Flipboard is the main reason we should all run out and get Win8  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Dumb idea . . . While I love Flipboard on my iPad and Android phone . . . . . never mind.

How to choose an Operating System: Pick the apps that will accomplish the work you need to get done. Then choose the OS it takes to run the needed apps. We should be talking about apps we use, since they are what we actually use to get things done. A computer with an operating system and no apps doesn't do much.

Pages: Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: