The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 807 inflation  (Read 24944 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:40:22 AM »

A few years ago the 807 was only known by hams and NOS were dirt cheap (I bought many examples from Antique Electronic Supply at $5 each when they were closing them out) and Russian and Chinese examples were flooding E-bay at a couple bucks each.

I go to look today.. and a 4-pack of Russian 807's is $2400 http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1968-G-807-1625-6AL6-5933-Beam-Tetrode-Tubes-Lot-of-4-NOS-Same-Date-/321449151625?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4ad7dccc89

and used 807's are way above $50.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:36:06 AM by N3QE » Logged
N2LXM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:18:11 AM »

You Can Thank The AudioFools for this one. Seems High Power Triodes bring big bucks. I was like you and purchase some for a rainy day. glade i did now.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 11:23:23 AM »

why wound the audiophools bother, it's a 6L6 with the plate coming out on top.  besides, as everybody should know, once the 12 ounces are gone from a cold 807, all they're good for is target practice.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 11:42:15 AM »

why wound the audiophools bother, it's a 6L6 with the plate coming out on top.  besides, as everybody should know, once the 12 ounces are gone from a cold 807, all they're good for is target practice.

Go to an audiophool site and you will wonder what these pholks use for brains or where they may be located.  Shocked
Many tube vendors ( not all) have jacked up the price of anything remotely related to audio, even the lowly 12ax7.

My arc-5's use the 1625 which is a 807 with a 12V filament, so the audiophools aren't interested.  Grin

SM6XUN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 12:04:36 PM »

Go to an audiophool site and you will wonder what these pholks use for brains or where they may be located.  Shocked
Many tube vendors ( not all) have jacked up the price of anything remotely related to audio, even the lowly 12ax7.

My arc-5's use the 1625 which is a 807 with a 12V filament, so the audiophools aren't interested.  Grin

Im convinced that on the HIFI-forums like diy-audio.com there is people thinking: "Go to an hamradio site and you will wonder what these pholks use for brains or where they may be located.  ShockedWink

1625 is a good tube for audio, i have built one amplifier using 1625 in single-end, it's also named VT-136.
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 12:40:38 PM »

Many audiophile believe they can hear the difference between the sound of a tube type Class A amp and a solid state Class A amp. I submit the difference if any, would be that most SS amps use no output transformer and most tube types do. Any difference therefore, would appear to be in the quality of the Transformer as Class A is Class  A.
Class A being defined as conduction through 360 degrees. resulting in no distortion of the input waveform.
Regards, Dick KH2G
SM6XUN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 12:51:09 PM »

Many audiophile believe they can hear the difference between the sound of a tube type Class A amp and a solid state Class A amp. I submit the difference if any, would be that most SS amps use no output transformer and most tube types do. Any difference therefore, would appear to be in the quality of the Transformer as Class A is Class  A.
Class A being defined as conduction through 360 degrees. resulting in no distortion of the input waveform.
Regards, Dick KH2G
Correct, the transformer is the Achilles heel, a tube amplifiers damping factor is very high compared to that of a a solid state amplifier.

Bass response and "sponginess" is the dead giveaway which can make a experienced HIFI-listener decide whether it is a tube- or a solid state amplifier he/she is listening to,
from my own experience it's hard to decide which type of amplifier that is used when you listen to processed modern popmusic but easy as stealing candy from kids when heavy metal is played.

But of course...a bad constructed amplifier sounds bad, no matter if it uses transistors or tubes  Grin

edit: misspelling..
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:01:19 PM by SM6XUN » Logged
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 01:37:53 PM »

Im convinced that on the HIFI-forums like diy-audio.com there is people thinking: "Go to an hamradio site and you will wonder what these pholks use for brains or where they may be located.  ShockedWink

1625 is a good tube for audio, i have built one amplifier using 1625 in single-end, it's also named VT-136.

You used the the 1625 to avoid the 807 price? You sir, are NOT an audiophool!
There are those who build pre-amps form old triodes from the 20's, etc,
There is certainly a point of diminishing returns when spending more than $5000 for an audio system. After that, it's more about ego than audio.
Same thing goes for ham radio!

SM6XUN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 02:05:26 PM »

There is certainly a point of diminishing returns when spending more than $5000 for an audio system. After that, it's more about ego than audio.
Same thing goes for ham radio!

You can even lower that sum quite a bit and still be able to work the world with ease, it not about how much it costs, its about how and where you spend the money.

Building hifigear is a fun hobby too, just as fun as hamradio and the same principles apply to both, buy your gear, plug it in and go, unable to tweak anything
or build your gear, plug it in and go and know all details about your gear and where to tweak.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 06:08:34 PM »

http://www.rfparts.com/807-tay.html

$18.95 each from RF Parts.  Volume discounts to 99 pieces.

KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA Relocated to Ks. April 2019.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 06:45:29 PM »

A few years ago the 807 was only known by hams and NOS were dirt cheap (I bought many examples from Antique Electronic Supply at $5 each when they were closing them out) and Russian and Chinese examples were flooding E-bay at a couple bucks each.

I go to look today.. and a 4-pack of Russian 807's is $2400 http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1968-G-807-1625-6AL6-5933-Beam-Tetrode-Tubes-Lot-of-4-NOS-Same-Date-/321449151625?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4ad7dccc89

and used 807's are way above $50.

It's not NOS unless it's in the original box, imo. Out of the box, you're taking your chances. Besides, Ebay has plenty of people with more money than sense.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 12:20:48 AM »

I thought the thread was about beer!

Fifty years ago, a 20 oz pint of beer here was about 12c US - maybe 15c in some places. An 807 (tube) would be about 50c.

In a cheaper pub, said pint is now about $4.50. Used or not in box but unused WW2 surplus stock is now around $10 - $16. So the tubes have gone up by 10 to 20 times and the beer by  close to 40 times.

Recent manufacture 807s? I don't know - I suspect there are still a few around, as old NDBs used a lot of them.

Unfortunately, beer (like gasoline) doesn't keep well very long term so it can't be used as an investment hedge against inflation.....
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 06:33:58 PM »

Recent manufacture 807s? I don't know - I suspect there are still a few around, as old NDBs used a lot of them.

Tube Depot sells a new manufacture 807 made in China.

https://tubedepot.com/products/sino-807-power-vacuum-tube

US$25. I figure that a USSR-era tube probably has any number of problems, either from poor manufacturing (the country that brought you cars that had roof pillars you could flex by hand, and women's shoes with the heel attached to the toe, and who can forget the Trabant?) or from sitting on the shelf for 50 years. Definitely not worth $2500 when you can get a brand new 4 pack for $100 from Tube Depot.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 11:38:54 AM »

807 is about the last thing I would expect the importers to manufacture.  My Viking CW rig uses one so I have a couple NOS spares, a Collins and a milspec that did not cost very much.  Reminds me I ought to get it out and figure out what needs fixed in it.  Then fix up the VFO I found for it.  There are more than enough floating around for all the hams that might use them, so who else?  Audio geeks tend to avoid tubes with caps on top, probably scared of getting zapped! 
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 08:46:23 AM »

I've got some nice oxygen-free copper cable if you're interested!

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: