The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 807 inflation  (Read 24957 times)
W3ESE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 09:54:34 AM »

I've got some nice oxygen-free copper cable if you're interested!
[/quote]

I`ve been hunting for some of that wire...Does it come with a free can of copper wire wax?
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 03:38:05 AM »

Having gone back to browse around E-pay... in fact there are lots of used/NOS western 807's, as well as Russian/Chinese military surplus clone 807's, at reasonable prices.

I think E-pay just tweaks search results to put the most outrageously priced items at the top and this launched me on my tirade.
W3RSW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 07:34:58 AM »

I thought the thread was about beer!

Fifty years ago, a 20 oz pint of beer here was about 12c US - maybe 15c in some places. An 807 (tube) would be about 50c.

In a cheaper pub, said pint is now about $4.50. Used or not in box but unused WW2 surplus stock is now around $10 - $16. So the tubes have gone up by 10 to 20 times and the beer by  close to 40 times.

Recent manufacture 807s? I don't know - I suspect there are still a few around, as old NDBs used a lot of them.

Unfortunately, beer (like gasoline) doesn't keep well very long term so it can't be used as an investment hedge against inflation.....

Great thought, astute as usual from your posts.  And Always with just a touch of rye.  ; )
I've given up on gold, so within limits and barring a freak Hunt or two now base all my inflation calcs. on the value of silver.  Hard to believe that in my youth you could exchange, by law, a piece of paper inscribed with "payable to the bearer on demand..." for about 3/4 oz. of silver alloyed in a heavier dollar and embellished with great bas-relief artwork.

Oh, back to the bottle:
If I were Hammond I'd offer an "extreme voltage" AF output xformer series with plate leads coming out the top imitating mod iron, then make a deal with Chinese for top quality 807 and 811a tubes to go with them.  Marketing?-- very discretely, of course, to one leaky camp about "the sonic capture of full potential electromotive force" application to superior audio.

Rick, W3RSW
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 09:04:41 AM »

I've got some nice oxygen-free copper cable if you're interested!

I`ve been hunting for some of that wire...Does it come with a free can of copper wire wax?
[/quote]

Yes!

And two cans of wifi spray!

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 02:40:09 AM »

And some anti-Intermodulation grease?

(Which does actually exist......)
W3RSW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 10:17:53 AM »

Yeah, but that stuff's just to eliminate chatter.

Rick, W3RSW
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 01:05:21 AM »

Speaking of rare toobs:

( Click The Pic to Seymour )

W3RSW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 05:38:12 AM »

Fantastic.
To imitate it digitally on say an iPhone would be a travesty.

Rick, W3RSW
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 08:20:32 AM »

Some audiophiles are selling 813 tubes for obscene prices on eBay... they never sell any, but they keep the auctions going forever in the hopes of snaring a fish.

Same for 807s... you have to shop around... there are lots of old time hams hoarding tubes, and many would like to find a home for their stash for reasonable prices before their goodies end up in a landfill after the estate sale.

I managed to acquire several pairs of RCA graphite anode 813 tubes for my new amplifier project by watching website ads and careful shopping for an average of 20 to 15 dollars for each NOS tube. 

Pete
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 03:15:27 PM »

I read somewhere that the audiophools will buy old Tek 'scope plug ins, pull the 6DJ8/E88CC tubes and just dump the rest, making a profit just selling the tubes.....

I reckon my 1944 JAN Sylvania 6SN7GTs must be worth a lot of money....
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: