The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: building my own homebrew rigblaster  (Read 2610 times)
KE5QGK

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2007, 06:10:07 PM »

i've built my own soundcard interface  for my ft2800m to computer my laptop doesnt have rs232 connectors so i have to use the usb to serial connector well the radio keys up and all the connections are right the problem is its all backwards when the key is idle on the computer the radio is keyed up but when i key the computer the radio stops transmitting so question is how do i build a normally closed circuit to ground the ptt out when it loses power im really stumped on this one but im sure its got to be easy  
N5PVL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 04:18:34 AM »

Howdy!

This article:

http://www.uspacket.org/flex32/flx_32.htm

- Has all the basic poop on how to homebrew a soundcard interface, with a few of the most common pitfalls noted.

I built mine, too. - Several people I knew had lightning-fried soundcard interfaces, and I salvaged parts from those to build my haywired Frankenstein's monster.

Mine is really ugly, but that's optional.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

KE5QGK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 06:54:20 AM »

this is the xact same way i built my interface

the original problem still exists the radio is backwards and stops keying when i tell it to key but when i dont tell it to key its keying

thanks for the website though i can use alot of the programs mentioned in there
KE5QGK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 06:56:08 AM »

oh yeah mine looks horrible as well at leat till i get it figured out then i'll make pretty
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 06:57:49 AM »

Check all the settings in your software program.  I had the same problem you did and it wasn't in the hardware.  I can't remember now the precise issue (it was a couple of years ago).
KE5QGK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 07:02:50 AM »

i'll keep trying im pretty sure i've changed  everything at least once but this stupid usb to serial connection is where the problem lies im sure ive messed with flow control and " set rts to close" check boxes nothing is seeming to help is anyone using the usb to serial connections?
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 01:14:37 PM »

Yes I have used the USB to serial converters without a problem on three different computers.  If I remember, I'll look and see what the settings in the software are.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 01:16:15 PM »

However, I am not using the radio you are.  The radios I've used are an Icom 746, Kenwood TS-2000, and Kenwood TS-2000.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 04:42:48 PM »

Go to http://wa8lmf.net/miscinfo/index.htm and look for "Tone Keyed Sound Card Interface". Steven has com up with a sc interface that keys off the audio, similar to using VOX. Does away with the need for a serial or USB connection. The diagrams are good, and not too technical. Should be easy to build.

Scott NA4IT
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 07:51:09 PM »

Make sure you have a NPN transistor, that it's good and that its installed correctly. The transistor normally inverts the RS-232 control signal. If it is shorted or incorrectly installed then the control signal may be fed to the radio directly without the inversion.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: