The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amplifier Price Wars  (Read 73937 times)
N6PSE

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2014, 08:42:55 AM »

On my Blog, we are discussing the price wars between Array Solutions and HRO over ACOM prices. Today, RF Concepts drastically slashed the prices on their Alpha 9500 and 8410 amps.

You can read the Blog at http://n6pse.wordpress.com
N3LCW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 08:59:40 AM »

Until those prices come down to my range, those are Price 'Cold Wars'.

Andy
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 09:46:18 AM »

Until those prices come down to my range, those are Price 'Cold Wars'.

Andy

You can get quality non alpha amp for LOT less...

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 03:39:33 PM »

Alpha does not have a lot of profit margin. They are paying American Wages and American taxes.

I wonder how long before the wolves can no longer be kept from the front door.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 03:56:13 PM »

Alpha does not have a lot of profit margin. They are paying American Wages and American taxes.

I am sure that owners live quite well. They are like Apple it that you pay for a name. What's gonna kill them is there some new amps out there that have similar feature for a lot less money so they are loosing their nitche.

N0NZG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 05:01:11 PM »

Nice Blog, 73 Jeremy
KU1T

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 06:08:21 PM »

I am sure that owners live quite well. They are like Apple it that you pay for a name. What's gonna kill them is there some new amps out there that have similar feature for a lot less money so they are loosing their nitche.

John,
can you share which "new amps" you have in your mind ?

just curious.

73, de KU1T
_zjt
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 07:10:26 PM »

John,
can you share which "new amps" you have in your mind ?

just curious.

73, de KU1T
_zjt

New meaning new not used and amps like say Acom for one, i would look hard at an Emtron that uses 500 volt, not 450 volt, caps in power supply and maybe a QRO.

KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 07:37:20 PM »

The real question is what service will be available five or ten years down the road whether it be the original company, former employees who want to make some money servicing what they used to build, or anybody who wants to study and specialize in certain amps. All or none of these manufacturers may be around. I would rather take my chances with Alpha. Or, just get a traditional type amp that you can repair yourself.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 03:21:50 PM »

I rather take my chances with an amplifier design using discreet circuitry.

Remember everyone thought THP would be arround for the long run.
KW4CQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 05:11:34 PM »

Here's a new pair of about-to-be-shipped solid state amps to keep you eye on:

Ameritron ALS-1306 1200 watt, broadband, auto switching, 160-6m  $2,999.95

ACOM 600S 600 watt, broadband, auto switching, 160-6m  $2,790.00

K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »

So what are the owners supposed to do? Run themselves out of business to give us less expensive amps? Sounds like what happened to THP.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 01:59:04 PM »

The origional post was talking aobut legal limit amplifiers with head room. ALS-1300 and the ACOM 600 have neather.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 02:34:18 PM »

So what are the owners supposed to do? Run themselves out of business to give us less expensive amps? Sounds like what happened to THP.

THP did not go out of business because of the Amplifier division.  The Amp division was what was keeping the company alive for the last 3 years.  It was the medical division which was 75% of the companies original income and when that failed and it bought down the Amp division with it.  The first Gen THP amps where not big money makers, they where sold for with almost no profit but it did not matter to the owner, it was his passion so he used the medical division to supplement the Amplifiers.  Later on that changed as the medical division was dying, so they started using Switching PS and all aluminium heatsinks etc to cut costs and they soon started making amps that where profitable, but as the med division kept going down the Amp division could not keep the whole company afloat.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 03:04:19 PM »

The origional post was talking aobut legal limit amplifiers with head room. ALS-1300 and the ACOM 600 have neather.

I think the topic was about price wars among amplifier distributors.  That kind of keeps the door open to other amps.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: