The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amplifier Price Wars  (Read 73907 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 03:48:35 PM »

I will be in the market for a legal limit amp by the end of the year, let's hope these prices stay where they are at. 

My three I am really debating are the Acom 1500, Ameritron AL-1500 and the Alpha 8410. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »

So what are the owners supposed to do? Run themselves out of business to give us less expensive amps? Sounds like what happened to THP.

THP did not go out of business because of the Amplifier division.  The Amp division was what was keeping the company alive for the last 3 years.  It was the medical division which was 75% of the companies original income and when that failed and it bought down the Amp division with it.  The first Gen THP amps where not big money makers, they where sold for with almost no profit but it did not matter to the owner, it was his passion so he used the medical division to supplement the Amplifiers.  Later on that changed as the medical division was dying, so they started using Switching PS and all aluminium heatsinks etc to cut costs and they soon started making amps that where profitable, but as the med division kept going down the Amp division could not keep the whole company afloat.

If the medical division was so unprofitable why did they not sell or divest themselves of that part of the business?

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 07:15:10 PM »

I will be in the market for a legal limit amp by the end of the year, let's hope these prices stay where they are at. 

My three I am really debating are the Acom 1500, Ameritron AL-1500 and the Alpha 8410. 

When I bought my Alpha 8410 about 3 years ago it was due to the Alpha name and the 4 year warranty which no other amplifier company matches.  If you went into Best Buy and bought a 4 year warranty on a $5,700 consumer item it would cost an arm and a leg.

Chris  NU1O
KW4CQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 04:16:15 AM »

The origional post was talking aobut legal limit amplifiers with head room. ALS-1300 and the ACOM 600 have neather.

I think the topic was about price wars among amplifier distributors.  That kind of keeps the door open to other amps.

Thank you, Robert.  A power comparison was never the intent of the original posting.
KW4CQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 04:21:52 AM »

So what are the owners supposed to do? Run themselves out of business to give us less expensive amps? Sounds like what happened to THP.

THP did not go out of business because of the Amplifier division.  The Amp division was what was keeping the company alive for the last 3 years.  It was the medical division which was 75% of the companies original income and when that failed and it bought down the Amp division with it.  The first Gen THP amps where not big money makers, they where sold for with almost no profit but it did not matter to the owner, it was his passion so he used the medical division to supplement the Amplifiers.  Later on that changed as the medical division was dying, so they started using Switching PS and all aluminium heatsinks etc to cut costs and they soon started making amps that where profitable, but as the med division kept going down the Amp division could not keep the whole company afloat.

If the medical division was so unprofitable why did they not sell or divest themselves of that part of the business?

Because it WAS so unprofitable.  Only a dummy would buy an unprofitable company.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 05:23:01 AM »

Because it WAS so unprofitable.  Only a dummy would buy an unprofitable company.

So when is MFJ signing the paperwork  Grin

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 07:57:22 AM »

AD9DX,

FWIW, I have an Acom 1500 and am very pleased with it.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 09:20:27 AM »

Then why not take the hit and sell the assets of that division?Huh?? Companies purchase unsuccessful businesses if the core matches all the time whether it is for the technology, customers etc.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
KB3Z

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 11:53:01 AM »

I spoke to one of their employees about 2 months ago and he hasn't received a raise in 5 years. Also, they charge an arm and a leg for employee benefits. There was a huge price difference with the 9500. My feeling was the unit is not selling as well as they would like. I have no real support for that feeling, but it just looks that way. They are a really small company who really doesn't have the manpower to service both new and old customers the way they should. Especially for the prices that they charge. Mark KB3Z
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 06:05:22 PM »

Your laughing but MFJ was very interested in buying THP.
The owner was not interested in selling or having anything else to do with the company, he just closed the doors and walked away.   If you think that's strange you should consider the fact that a high percentage of people in Japan commit suicide over situations like this.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 06:01:24 AM »

Japanese economy is improving but there will always be situations like this. The Tokyo Ham Radio Fair is just 2 weeks away, wonder if anyone is attending?
KW4CQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 11:25:43 AM »

Your laughing but MFJ was very interested in buying THP.
The owner was not interested in selling or having anything else to do with the company, he just closed the doors and walked away.   If you think that's strange you should consider the fact that a high percentage of people in Japan commit suicide over situations like this.

A completely asinine and unfounded statement.  All three of the above sentences. 
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 11:02:04 PM »

A completely asinine and unfounded statement.  All three of the above sentences.

And...the FACTS to support your opinion would be...Huh  Easy to make a demeaning statement but it is meaningless without some facts to support why you believe that.  Besides, I see more than three sentences quoted.  WHICH ones are you referring to?

Tom
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 11:05:20 PM by WB6DGN » Logged
KW4CQ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2014, 03:07:10 AM »

A completely asinine and unfounded statement.  All three of the above sentences.

And...the FACTS to support your opinion would be...Huh  Easy to make a demeaning statement but it is meaningless without some facts to support why you believe that.  Besides, I see more than three sentences quoted.  WHICH ones are you referring to?

Tom

Intelligenti pauca.  Cura te ipsum, OM.   Tongue
73 de KW4CQ

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »

This info came directly from a person who was involved.  If your going to make statements like that you should at least be able to prove why you know I am wrong.  And BTW my friend that's just the tip of the iceburg with what transpired in the months after THP closed.

And just to prove how little you know without revealing any of my sources. You say all three statements are asinine.  Lets examine Number 3:   

http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2002-06-02/business-suicides-japans-death-trap

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 02:47:40 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: