The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Effective portable radio with fast deployment  (Read 41727 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 07:27:35 PM »

Vertex 1210 ....If you can find one

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4822

Seems good until you realize it lacks a VFO knob, adjustable bandwidth, and many other features that were considered essential even for low-end HF radios even in the 1980s.

A better option for a ham would be the Yaesu FT-897D.

it has a VFO mpde and two filter bandwidths
HB9PJT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 01:19:28 AM »

"A better option for a ham would be the Yaesu FT-897D."

The 897D is not in production anymore because the display with its driverlogic is not available anymore. Also the 897 does not shine with its receiver. I prefer the smaller KX3 for portable use und wish it had a more effective speech processor built in.

73, Peter - HB9PJT
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 04:56:48 AM »

The VX 1210 sells for $1200 to $2000 (used) with all the accessories. Basically the radio is self contained. Throw it on the shelf, hang it over a door knob and just grab and go and use in an emergency.

No I don't have one, but like to get one someday. Fast deployment means just grab the radio and go without spending time re-assembling it in the field. They use these radios all over the world. These are also known as "manpack" type of radios.

"Whether you're in the rain forest miles from base camp or exploring for oil in Alaska, with the VX-1210 HF SSB Manpack over your shoulder you'll have a rugged radio you can depend on. This lightweight performer is a must when you're in the field and can't afford to be out of touch."

They can easily be used on the ham frequencies. RX: 0.5 – 30 MHz, TX: 1.6 – 30 MHz. Capable of up to 20 watts output; "20 Watt / 5 Watt (J3D/A1A/F1B); 10 Watt / 2.5 Watt (H3E)", have 14.8 volt battery, optional antenna tuner, optional 'goose neck' antenna adapter and whip antenna, SSB/CW, AM and Data Operating Modes, 500 channels and more.

http://www.rfwiz.com/VertexStandard/Mobiles/VX-1210_InfoDat.htm

No one has to buy the VX 1210. One can build a manpack themselves and there are hams that have modified the FT-817, FT-857 and the FT-897 into "manpacks" with varying degrees of success.

Someone built a manpack out of the FT 817

Someone built a manpack out of the FT 897

Someone built a manpack out of the FT 857

Someone built a manpack out of the KX3

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:04:14 AM by W4KYR » Logged

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »

"A better option for a ham would be the Yaesu FT-897D."

The 897D is not in production anymore because the display with its driverlogic is not available anymore. Also the 897 does not shine with its receiver. I prefer the smaller KX3 for portable use und wish it had a more effective speech processor built in.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

I am a KX3 owner as well and would not trade it for anything.  I'm not sure of the source of complaints about the speech processor - I get decent reports with mine.  Still it's always nice to have a better anything so what do I know?  Huh

The 897 has a bit of an advantage in that it has 100w output on 12v power and 20w output on the internal battery pack, if that is important to the OP.
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 06:26:46 AM »

In my experience, the factor limiting "quick deployment" is getting an effective antenna installed, not the radio and accessories. 

Anyhow, I presently carry a K3/100 with a MFJ-4125 and K1EL WKUSB in a Pelican Storm iM2400 or a K2/100 with MFJ-4125 in an iM2200.  Put the antenna, coax, and tools in checked bag (or backpack minus tools for ultra-light travel).  I rarely carry more than a Leatherman tool and a pocket DMM, occasionally a solder iron, for tools.  Of course, most of my travel is for work and destinations have tools (or I'm bringing them anyway).  Antennas are destination-specific, but I have a pair of homebrew verticals that are basically heavy-duty BuddiSticks with no loading coil (and they can take at least 1 kW no problem) and a DK9SQ 10-meter mast for wire dipoles (in the absence of trees at destination).  Good-quality RG-8X coax is a nice compromise between low loss and light weight.

If I weren't such a big fan of Elecraft, I'd have an FT-857D with the same accessories...
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: