The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 18 Gauge Copper Wire Good for Grounding?  (Read 107098 times)
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2014, 07:31:42 PM »

so, either we squat around the eham campfire in our loincloths, peering fearfully into the surrounding darkness, muttering mostly incoherent and incongruous stories of the evil unknowns waiting to spring forth from the convolutions in the copper serpent's tail?

Or, do we admit all this faldera is for naught, wire behavior is a known quantity, grounding is straightforward and this discussion is about the correct wire gauge for station grounding, and not to dredge up fallacies, misconstructions, falsehoods and factually incorrect assertions?

Huh?

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2014, 12:51:27 PM »

so, either we squat around the eham campfire in our loincloths, peering fearfully into the surrounding darkness, muttering mostly incoherent and incongruous stories of the evil unknowns waiting to spring forth from the convolutions in the copper serpent's tail?

Or, do we admit all this faldera is for naught, wire behavior is a known quantity, grounding is straightforward and this discussion is about the correct wire gauge for station grounding, and not to dredge up fallacies, misconstructions, falsehoods and factually incorrect assertions?

Your choice. 
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2014, 10:09:07 AM »

W8JI has a good article on grounding.
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2014, 06:49:04 AM »

Checked a 2008 NEC....under communications...

Grounding- 14ga solid or stranded .

Bonded- 6ga solid or strainded.

KT4WO
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2014, 05:04:15 PM »

Section numbers?  Have you checked the 2014 version?
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2014, 11:45:13 AM »

As I read through this post it is riddled with some challenges to the poster and others who chose to be somewhat critical.  I understand that taking an amateur radio exam and passing it does not make one an expert in practical electrical theory. But this is to the poster; please research your ideas on the internet to get some self education on your topic first before posting a question here.  I am sure by now you know that 18 gauge wire is a mistake for grounding but use some common sense before asking questions that illicit the ire of the old grumps. Some people have no tolerance for the proverbial 'dumb question'.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2014, 06:07:26 PM »

Solid wire could be used for grounding, but it usually is not since it is far harder to pull, bend and attach than stranded wire is.  You can look at it this way too--a solid wire could be flattened out, and copper strapping is nothing but flattened solid wire.  Copper strapping is allowable on antenna installations for grounding. 
REMOVED_ACCOUNT_2015-01-09

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2014, 10:59:44 AM »

10-12 gauge.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2014, 08:23:40 AM »

I'd never run a lightning protection ground off the back of my station equipment!!!!  All that does is provide a path THROUGH the equipment and guarantees the gear will be fried.

Look up common point grounding techniques. The ground window needs to be established for the power, telco, antenna leads, rotator cables etc. at one common shared ground point before those cables even come into the shack.

The ground bar at the gear should only be providing protection for AC voltage leakage.

I have everything bonded, grounded and heavy cables running back to the AC ground on my meter box before those cables come into the shack--that includes gas arrestors for rotator and control lines, coax lines, CAT-5 arrestors, etc.

I have a second common point on the shack wall using a large ground bus bar with a second set of protective devices for all lines as a redundant back up.

I didn't read through three pages of post, so this may have been covered earlier... but please, never rely on ground leads clipped to the equipment to protect anything.

Pete
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: