The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new computer: should I have gotten Win8 rather than Win7?  (Read 43168 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2014, 06:22:19 PM »

Hello,
A couple weeks ago, my XP-machine (used by XYL and me for emails, googling, etc) suddenly lost its mind in spite of my best efforts to keep it sane.
I replaced it with a HP-Win7 tower.
(Another HP-Win7 tower has been in place dedicated for ham-radio use for the past three years.)
In the last week or so, on Yahoo forums, there have been a flurry of postings about Microsoft's rules to obsolete OperatingSystems, all of which were new to me.
Cannot do much about it now but I do wonder if it was a mistake getting Win7 on the newest tower.
Is there any consensus on getting Win7 vs Win8??
Of course, I can always upgrade...at a price.
BTW, I balked at the $220 price for Office2013 and tried OpenOffice for a while; it looks like I'm going to spend the $220.
73 Jerry KM3K
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 06:48:09 PM »

Many will disagree but 7 is loosing main stream support in 6 months. After that it will receive security updates only (just like Vista still gets). On office 2013, you can spend 99 bucks a year for premium version of it and use it on up to 5 PC's. As long as you pay you also get any new versions that are released. You could look around for Office 2010 too.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:05:37 PM »

You did the right thing and got the right OS.
Win8 is a dud and Microsoft has admitted that through the many firings and the regrouping for win9.  A tablet OS is horrible to use on a PC and you are much better off with Win7.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:14:17 PM »

I would have gone with the Windows 7 too.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Windows 9 is not that far away and I am sure there will be deals to upgrade to Windows 9.

As far as Office 2013, I use Open Office for pretty much everything. But if you absolutely need Office 2013, then I guess that is what you have to get.

Perhaps when Windows 9 is released, they might have some "bundle deals" with Office on new laptops or desktops.

Another option is is you can hold out until Black Friday, maybe you can run across some Office 2013 deals then.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 04:01:34 AM »

would have gone with the Windows 7 too.

+1
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 04:11:42 AM »

Definitely went right. Win 9 aka Threshold further unpicks the abortion that is Win 8.

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 04:38:42 AM »

BTW, I balked at the $220 price for Office2013 and tried OpenOffice for a while; it looks like I'm going to spend the $220.
73 Jerry KM3K

Would you mind telling us why you will be returning to Microsoft Office? You might want to try LibreOffice, which is a fork of Open Office. I don't believe OpenOffice has caught up to LibreOffice, even though it is now and Apache project. And yes, I do understand that LibreOffice may not have the same needed features that MS Office has.

Rick KK4GGL
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 08:21:51 AM »

I too agree that you made the right choice.  And forget that talk about support ending--there are two kinds of support.  One is when additions and new features are added, and the other is when the bug fixes and code tweaking ends.  

This is a part of an article on Forbes, dated July 10, 2014.

Mainstream Support Vs. Extended Support

On 13 January 2015 Windows 7’s ‘Mainstream Support’ will come to an end. That means no new Service Packs or features will be released. This is wholly different from the end of ‘Extended Support’ which is what happened to Windows XP on 8 April 2014.

Extended Support is the big one: no more security patches when hackers find holes, no performance improvements, nothing – the OS is effectively dead. Windows 7 Extended Support will not end until 14 January 2020. For comparison Windows XP Mainstream Support ended back on 8 April 2009.

Consequently most can breathe a sigh of relief, especially with Windows 7 currently running on over 50% of PCs around the world. If Windows XP was hard to kill, Windows 7 is likely to be even harder.

As you can see, the naysayers and supporters/shills of new Microsoft products are playing on your fears when they proclaim an end to Windows 7 support.  It will not happen for a good long while.  73!
AE5J

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 11:15:53 AM »

Having been an engineer/programmer for government/military systems for quite some time, it should be noted that no operating system is hack-proof or completely secure. No operating system is beyond breach.

Simple reason: computer security is not a matter of operating system, but access. Unplug your computer from the internet and you are 99.99% safe from all security issues. Only national technical means can take advantage of the remaining issues. If you have two computers and one is connected to the internet, nothing may ever be transferred to the "secure" computer from the internet-connected device by any means - no files, photos, programs, music, videos, USB sticks, disk drives, cloud - nothing.

You may take a secure file from the secure computer to the unsecure one, but whatever means or hardware you use may never be reconnected to the secure computer and that file may never come back. People often ask me how they can make their computer secure if it is connected to the internet. Simple. Determine how much you want people to know about you and then don't put any security-sensitive information of any kind on it. Ever. If you only follow that guideline, it really makes no difference if you're running XP or 7 or whatever. Remember the first rule of computer security is there is no such thing.

So what does that mean for us as Hams? I really don't care who looks at my computer logbook, or my copy of HRD, or anything else I use for my hobby. I select the operating system that fits my needs and runs my apps. In my case, I use Win 7 and still have a couple of old systems running XP. I found nothing of value to justify the expense of Win 8, so I don't use it. Just me. I think you made the right choice in selecting Win 7. I don't depend on Microsoft, Apple, or anyone else for security. I actually have two secure computers - an old XP and a new Win 7. You can try to break into them, but you'll have to sneak by the lights, alarms, dogs, and more lethal stuff to get what is on them. Makes life interesting for the dedicated hacker!  Cheesy

73  Pete
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 11:19:24 AM »

Win8 is a dud and Microsoft has admitted that through the many firings and the regrouping for win9.  A tablet OS is horrible to use on a PC and you are much better off with Win7.

As usual you are wrong. It is not a horrible OS but rather different. It does have a desktop mode that seems to escape those that are stuck on old designs and it has many features lacking it 7. Anyone that preaches 7 over 8.x usually has never used and lived with 8.x long term and are blowing smoke and still waiting for XP to return.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 12:07:20 PM »

My thanks to all who responded to my question.
I certainly feel better now about win7.

To Rick kk4ggl about OpenOffice and Libre...

I'll take a look at Libre very soon.

For almost 35 years, I've used spreadsheets for almost all my work on a computer.
I was a design-engineer and spreadsheets are a great tool for designing crystal and LC filters.
I started with Visicalc (you may not have even been born when Visicalc came on the scene in 1979.), switched to Lotus and then Excel.

I prefer to work with the keyboard's short-cut keys rather than the mouse.
Also, "drag-and-drop" is a keen feature.
In both cases, OpenOffice did not always mimic Excel; for me that was an issue, especially "drag-and-drop".
My work-around was cut and paste; too much hassel for me for a simple operation.
In time, I could get used to OpenOffice but not having "drag-and-drop" is significant.

MS Office has a little known gem; the F4 key is a "repeat" key, which I find very useful; I could not find a similar feature in OpenOffice.

I should mention what I was doing in OpenOffice's spreadsheet.
I had an Outlook contacts list that I made into a .csv file.
That file needed to be formatted in a particular way to be accepted by Comcast's email.
I had to rearrange columns and also do some housecleaning of records that should have been done long ago.

Now, here is the most important reason to not use OpenOffice:
Our grandaughter, from time to time, needs to use a printer for homework.
We have a printer that she can use; so far we have successfully discouraged her parents about buying one.
This way, we get to see our grandaughter more frequently.
She is used to MS Office already, so I see no reason to introduce a new learning curve.

73 Jerry KM3K

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 03:03:45 PM »

Asking about Win 7 vs Win 8 around here results in something like a religious argument. Win 7 is nearing the end of normal support. Hot sure the date but it's coming way faster than Win 8.

The problem with Win 8 in people's minds is that it's a Tablet OS. It is NOT. It is an OS that will work on a tablet with the Metro interface. The fact that that same metro interface even exists on a PC with Win 8 is disconcerting for some. They don't seem to realize that Win 8 and 8.1 both have a normal looking Windows desktop. Yea the traditional start menu is no longer there.  The newer start screen is easy to use and actually faster to launch applications once you unpin the stuff you don't use and make it your own. Again the look of it seems to put people off.

I have been using Win 1 and 8.1 since last fall at work and have ZERO issues that Win 7 would solve. I recommend Win 8.1. Some people just don't like change.

That said, since you already have Win 7 it would be a hassle to change now. Win 7 is just fine also. Like some have said, waiting for Win 9 won't be a bad thing for you now.

LibreOffice is now the "standard" open office platform. Most the Linux distro's are using that. My son uses it on Windows and likes it.

The thing with the grad-daughter might be worth spending the money on Office though!

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 03:46:42 PM »

They don't seem to realize that Win 8 and 8.1 both have a normal looking- Windows desktop. Yea the traditional start menu is no longer there.  

That's kind of like saying it's a normal looking airplane it just doesn't have wings!

And no, that is not an exaggeration.  The start menu is the heart of the windows GUI, if you remove that then you have to navigate and do things in a completely new manor.  The problem is that IMO the new method in Windows 8 is a giant step backwards. I guess many agree since all those involved in the changes got the Axe.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:48:45 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 04:04:49 PM »

As usual you are wrong. It is not a horrible OS but rather different. It does have a desktop mode that seems to escape those that are stuck on old designs and it has many features lacking it 7. Anyone that preaches 7 over 8.x usually has never used and lived with 8.x long term and are blowing smoke and still waiting for XP to return.

John I think you will never understand because your living in your own little world of Win8 and its uses that benefit you.

Right now I am using 5 major programs to finish a project.  Photoshop, Dreamweaver CC, Flash CC, Omnipage 8 and Altium Designer.  All of those programs are major pieces of software to master and use.  I don't have time to waste playing with Win8 because for me the OS is kind of like a shopping cart, it holds my groceries while I do my shopping.  At the end of the day that is really all an OS is.  So long as it's stable and has what I need to get my software working, I am happy with it.

For you on the other hand it seems like your really taken up with playing with the OS itself.  Why don't you try picking up Photoshop and learning that, I guarantee you that after you master that you won't give two cents what OS your PC is running.  As for Altium, I would not wish that one even on you.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 04:13:31 PM »

They don't seem to realize that Win 8 and 8.1 both have a normal looking- Windows desktop. Yea the traditional start menu is no longer there.  
That's kind of like saying it's a normal looking airplane it just doesn't have wings!

And no, that is not an exaggeration.  The start menu is the heart of the windows GUI, if you remove that then you have to navigate and do things in a completely new manor.  The problem is that IMO the new method in Windows 8 is a giant step backwards. I guess many agree since all those involved in the changes got the Axe.

The Start menu is part of the old GUI but the Start menu doesn't make Windows Windows. Like mentioned in another response, it's the apps people need to focus on as that is how your tasks get done. Win 8 just has a different shaped wings. To someone stuck in the past that's weird I suppose. It's totally NOT difficult starting programs in Win 8 .  . It's just a little different.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: