The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new computer: should I have gotten Win8 rather than Win7?  (Read 42843 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 07:25:09 PM »

Wayne I t's not the starting of them that is my biggest issue with Win8 it's also finding settings and configuring hardware etc.  I just can't waste time on learning another method of tying my shoes when the old method works just as well.  I would rather spend my time messing with and learning something new in Photoshop or another piece of software because that is time that pays off in getting a project done faster.

Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 07:09:55 AM »

Wayne I t's not the starting of them that is my biggest issue with Win8 it's also finding settings and configuring hardware etc.

It is very easy to do "IF" you know what you are doing and how to use 8. (actually easier than 7 about a lot of things)  But, if you use it with a XP/7 mentality, you will have problems.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 08:41:29 AM »

That is a very big "if". Where do you get the information on how to use 8?
The days of manuals are history. Have been since before Vista came out.

Don't say look on the Internet, if you cannot get started you are in deep kackypooh.
That is one reason I'm not very good with this Android (I'm at our caravan, not at home hence not on the desktop)

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 08:58:56 AM »

That is a very big "if". Where do you get the information on how to use 8?
The days of manuals are history. Have been since before Vista came out.

I learned it by tinkering and having a tablet at same time help me learn quicker but there is a wealth of info out on web if you simply search and I am not talking MS site either.

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 09:59:09 AM »

I said DON'T SAY LOOK ON THE INTERNET and what did you say???
As an ex farmer, I've always worked on the principle that if it doesn't work first time or isn't intuitive then it's either in the bin or it's money back time.

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »

As an ex farmer, I've always worked on the principle that if it doesn't work first time or isn't intuitive then it's either in the bin or it's money back time.

Well then you are shooting yourself in foot because Internet has replace print about a lot of things.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 10:09:48 AM »

Seriously? It's 2014 and you want a paper manual and not any info on the Net?

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »

That's true but I will still take a paper manual any day of the week over searching the web.
Even younger kids get very impressed when something comes with a proper manual.

Just yesterday I had an argument with a friend over old school photography and digital photography.  He likes the modern style of just taking lots of pictures and storing them on his hard drive for future use.   I prefer to have each picture printed out and put in an album and I went further to state that the only pictures that are worth a bean if you consider longevity is black and white photo's done from film.

We both agreed on that one and I said to him that I agree that 95% of people will be doing what he is doing which means that this planet is possibly one massive solar flare away from being reduced back to the dark ages, and on that one we also both agreed.

BTW I am biased, I lost 5 years worth of digital photos when a hard drive crashed.  At first I was not worried, I had all the pictures backed up onto CD's.  Well those disks turned out to be useless, even though they were stored in a cool dark area.  Reading up on it I found out that the "100 year" life span of CD's is pure rubbish.  If you have stuff archived on DVD's or CD's I seriously suggest you take them out and make fresh copies every 3-4 years.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:32:27 AM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »

That's true but I will still take a paper manual any day of the week over searching the web.

I know of very very few that even read a printed manual and electronic ones are far interactive and detailed and easier to search too

Just yesterday I had an argument with a friend over old school photography and digital photography.  He likes the modern style of just taking lots of pictures and storing them on his hard drive for future use.   I prefer to have each picture printed out and put in an album and I went further to state that the only pictures that are worth a bean if you consider longevity is black and white photo's done from film.

You likely like XP too. Tablets, not PC's are GREAT for this and the new photo album. Way better than a printed one as you can zoom them too with a touch. Plus you can back it up and transfer pictures easily and life expectance is virtually unlimited if you check update storage media every several years.

We both agreed on that one and I said to him that I agree that 95% of people will be doing what he is doing which means that this planet is possibly one massive solar flare away from being reduced back to the dark ages, and on that one we also both agreed.

Even if there was a flare technology would recover and given that you can easily save millions of hi def pictures on a stick in your pocket it is far more secure and likely to survive than a room full of photo albums.

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 10:56:41 AM »

BTW I am biased, I lost 5 years worth of digital photos when a hard drive crashed.  At first I was not worried, I had all the pictures backed up onto CD's.  Well those disks turned out to be useless, even though they were stored in a cool dark area.  Reading up on it I found out that the "100 year" life span of CD's is pure rubbish.  If you have stuff archived on DVD's or CD's I seriously suggest you take them out and make fresh copies every 3-4 years.

Lack of proper backups is a whole other topic. Look up 3-2-1 backup strategy.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 10:58:37 AM »

W8JX It's pretty obvious you have not done any repair work.  Try fixing your car with an online service manual versus a paper manual.   Online manuals are OK when your working on PC issues or a piece of equipment that you can hold right in front of you while you look at the PDF.
For everything else you have to print out the sheets and carry them with you.  Also I cannot scribble a pencil note on a PDF like I can on a paper manual.

And yes I know Mr. Tablet that your going to say oh just carry your tablet around.  As I said before, you certainly have never repaired anything in the real world, if you did you would know that a paper manual is 1000% better in most real world cases.

On item #2:
If you have a proper solar flare hit the earth most likely all those cheap memory sticks and all this other electronic  crap that is made in China will be dead, my photo albums will be just fine!

And BTW if you think USB memory stick are reliable you don't use them much.  I have had at least 3 of them go dead over the last 4 years, and when they die it's very sudden!  Your data is just gone with no warning.  Same problem with SSD drives, I had a friend lose a crap load of data on one in an Alienware Laptop.  He called them and they said there is no way to retrieve the data.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 11:13:45 AM »

W8JX It's pretty obvious you have not done any repair work.  Try fixing your car with an online service manual versus a paper manual.   Online manuals are OK when your working on PC issues or a piece of equipment that you can hold right in front of you while you look at the PDF.
For everything else you have to print out the sheets and carry them with you.  Also I cannot scribble a pencil note on a PDF like I can on a paper manual.

You assume way too much. I find online support better than any manual. It is cheaper to produce (no printing costs) and you can spend more time making it and updating it for far less total cost. A lot of video how too support too. Print is dying like XP.

And yes I know Mr. Tablet that your going to say oh just carry your tablet around.  As I said before, you certainly have never repaired anything in the real world, if you did you would know that a paper manual is 1000% better in most real world cases.

No I carry my phone which also has a copy of photo album and I can access tech data on fly. Print is dead. WHen mI need print I print it out from web which is easy with a WIndoze tablet, fairly easy with Droid and very hard with Apple. 

If you have a proper solar flare hit the earth most likely all those cheap memory sticks and all this other electronic  crap that is made in China will be dead, my photo albums will be just fine!

They make just the thing for you gloom and dooms. The make a stick that goes in a harden  metal capsule that will survive most things short of a big hammer or nuke.

And BTW if you think USB memory stick are reliable you don't use them much.  I have had at least 3 of them go dead over the last 4 years, and when they die it's very sudden!  Your data is just gone with no warning.  Same problem with SSD drives, I had a friend lose a crap load of data on one in an Alienware Laptop.  He called them and they said there is no way to retrieve the data.

Never had one fail and I use them a lot. I do replace them every 2 or 3 years and use more than one for backups or critical stuff.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 05:44:28 PM »

John I think you will never understand because your living in your own little world of Win8 and its uses that benefit you.

W8JX forgets that it is Different strokes for Different folks. What is right for him sucks for the majority of us.

John loves his wonderful Rusty vertical sans radials. I could never live with such a setup. Been then and done it when I was about 16 years old when I had a Gotham vertical sans radials. I learned quickly that a vertical without radials is not a competitive antenna that would satisfy my antenna needs. Different strokes for Different folks

I started using Tablets with a Kindle Fire and moved onto a Kindle Fire HD. Then a Asus Android. None of these solutions were satisfying me. I got an iPad Air. Bingo, a match made in heaven for me. W8JX would never be happy with my choices, that is fine with me. It has nothing to do with my limited vision or never change attitude.   Cheesy Cheesy  Different strokes for Different folks

I started computer life with a TRS-80 and graduated to a Atari 800, Atari 1200, Apple II, Apple IIE, Apple IIGS, C-64,and finally to the PC World. All of these OSes were right for me at the time. When they no longer did what I wanted to do I moved on to something else. In the Pc world I have had MS-Dos, Win 2.0, Win 3.0, Win 3.1, Win 95, Win 98, Win ME Win Xp, Several different flavors of Linux, Win Vista and WIn 7. When Win 7 no longer satisfies my computer life I will move on to something else. At this point in time I see no reason to move to Win 8. For someone that W8JX accuses of having limited vision and resistant to change I submit quite the opposite is true.  I am sure my above choices have been different than W8JX's. Different strokes for Different folks

It should be obvious to anyone that who reads any computer tech news that Window RT - AKA Win Really Terrible is dead. Anyone even contemplating a move to Win RT at this point in time needs some serious help. W8JX spouts continuously that Win 7 is on life support. He fails to mention that Win Really Terrible died with the release of the Surface Pro 3 Tablets. Win 8 for the PC is not far behind. Win 8 was a huge mistake for Microsoft for which many MS employees paid for by losing their jobs. Both Consumers and Companies shunned Win 8.

At this point in time it would be really foolish to buy into Win 8. Win 9 is around the corner.

Now I know W8JX will sit down and write a fanatical multi page rebuttal to my opinions. It is OK. Different strokes for Different folks

We are all different hams/people with different ideas of what is best. I know what I like and what satisfies my Computer and Hamradio hobbies. I do not need W8JX and his fanatical religious fervor to help me with my decisions. He has views that would NOT work for ME.  Different strokes for Different folks

Stan K9IUQ

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 12:55:12 PM »

John I think you will never understand because your living in your own little world of Win8 and its uses that benefit you.

W8JX forgets that it is Different strokes for Different folks. What is right for him sucks for the majority of us.

John loves his wonderful Rusty vertical sans radials. I could never live with such a setup. Been then and done it when I was about 16 years old when I had a Gotham vertical sans radials. I learned quickly that a vertical without radials is not a competitive antenna that would satisfy my antenna needs. Different strokes for Different folks

I started using Tablets with a Kindle Fire and moved onto a Kindle Fire HD. Then a Asus Android. None of these solutions were satisfying me. I got an iPad Air. Bingo, a match made in heaven for me. W8JX would never be happy with my choices, that is fine with me. It has nothing to do with my limited vision or never change attitude.   Cheesy Cheesy  Different strokes for Different folks

I started computer life with a TRS-80 and graduated to a Atari 800, Atari 1200, Apple II, Apple IIE, Apple IIGS, C-64,and finally to the PC World. All of these OSes were right for me at the time. When they no longer did what I wanted to do I moved on to something else. In the Pc world I have had MS-Dos, Win 2.0, Win 3.0, Win 3.1, Win 95, Win 98, Win ME Win Xp, Several different flavors of Linux, Win Vista and WIn 7. When Win 7 no longer satisfies my computer life I will move on to something else. At this point in time I see no reason to move to Win 8. For someone that W8JX accuses of having limited vision and resistant to change I submit quite the opposite is true.  I am sure my above choices have been different than W8JX's. Different strokes for Different folks

It should be obvious to anyone that who reads any computer tech news that Window RT - AKA Win Really Terrible is dead. Anyone even contemplating a move to Win RT at this point in time needs some serious help. W8JX spouts continuously that Win 7 is on life support. He fails to mention that Win Really Terrible died with the release of the Surface Pro 3 Tablets. Win 8 for the PC is not far behind. Win 8 was a huge mistake for Microsoft for which many MS employees paid for by losing their jobs. Both Consumers and Companies shunned Win 8.

At this point in time it would be really foolish to buy into Win 8. Win 9 is around the corner.

Now I know W8JX will sit down and write a fanatical multi page rebuttal to my opinions. It is OK. Different strokes for Different folks

We are all different hams/people with different ideas of what is best. I know what I like and what satisfies my Computer and Hamradio hobbies. I do not need W8JX and his fanatical religious fervor to help me with my decisions. He has views that would NOT work for ME.  Different strokes for Different folks

Stan K9IUQ

You really are insecure Stan. So said. Yes some people drink koolaid and cling to past like Stan and some move forward technology and those that understand are attack by those that do not... Kinda like politics offer no facts and ignore reality and lay the BS on thick to cover ignorance of reality. 

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 01:39:28 PM »

You really are insecure Stan. So said. Yes some people drink koolaid and cling to past like Stan and some move forward technology and those that understand are attack by those that do not... Kinda like politics offer no facts and ignore reality and lay the BS on thick to cover ignorance of reality.  

John you really do have a problem.  You believe that if you like something that everyone else should like it and if they don't then something is wrong with them. Now that in itself is a common thing among many people I have met but what separates you is that even when faced with 98% of the people disagreeing with you and numerous links and hard data put in front of your face you still cling to the believe that your right and everyone else in the world is wrong!  Your not even open to letting people decide for themselves, it's your way or the person has made the wrong choice.

I also saw your post about your antenna and thought to myself well if this guy does not want to reap the benefits of having radials and wants to be stuck with a crappy antenna, it's his choice.  Unfortunately you get offended when thats bought up but in cases of people with their own equipment you  don't give people a choice even when they have better stuff than you.  And by that I am saying that if your really saying an iPad Air is inferior to your Windows RT or whatever device your using, that's just another case of how delusional you are.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:41:57 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: