The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new computer: should I have gotten Win8 rather than Win7?  (Read 43278 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2014, 03:53:32 PM »

You old farts are so set in your ways.  I am surprised you still are not using an abacus or slide rule.   Roll Eyes

I am not sure if your Joking or not, but I use a boat load of very complicated software to do a variety of things.
As I said earlier, right now i am working on a project in which I have to be using Photoshop, Abode Dreamweaver CC, Adobe Flash CC, Omniview8 and Altium Designer.   Luckily I already know how to use three of them very well, but learning the other two is time consuming.

What I have noticed over the years is that you have real software innovators like Altium and even adobe and then you have fakes like Microsoft.

A fake just changes up the GUI to make a new version and then calls it Win8 when really under the hood its almost the same thing as Win7.  A real innovator understands that the customer needs to deploy the software in a fast manor and has no time to retrain dozens of employee's.   So in response the software engineers keep the GUI familiar and they add into it the new features and improvements.   Sometimes these improvements are very subtle but they are often times the things that made you pull out your hair with the older version because it just could not do that task.

My real gripe is that an OS is just a container for my programs, I don't want someone to keep messing with the Lid on my container, I just want to open it and get to my stuff with no hassles.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »

Well, I've taken care of him and his baloney--the 'ignore' button does come in handy!

I save my Ignore button for people who are rude.  W8JX is an OK guy, he is never rude or insulting but he's just so stubborn and inflexible that it kind of gets to me.  I use to be like that to some extent and then as I got into more and more areas of interest I realized how little I really knew and as I get older I have learned to keep my mind open to what other people are saying and to investigate for myself and see if what they are saying is right and what I thought I knew is wrong before I make any statements.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2014, 04:09:22 AM »

You old farts are so set in your ways.  I am surprised you still are not using an abacus or slide rule.   Roll Eyes

I am not sure if your Joking or not...

Well, at least someone kind of gets it.  Grin
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2014, 05:17:08 AM »

At least my slide rule works every time Tongue

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »

Both my abacus and my slide rule come up on my computer screen!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: