The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler - use in a mobile station?  (Read 9650 times)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2014, 09:13:17 PM »

This noise cancelling device gets very good reviews for phasing out noise sources (eg powerline, plasma TV etc) for ham base-stations.

I wonder if anyone has ever used this device in a mobile set-up to reduce noise interference.  It occurs to me that the device should work well for static/m, provided that the receiving antenna is 'sufficient' to hear the noise interference. 

Would this device help to reduce powerline noise whilst /m?  Most roads in my locality have powerlines running along them, so trying to operate when /m is frustrating, due to the powerline noise interference.
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 06:42:34 AM »

This noise canceller (I had one) works by manual adjustment of the sense antenna amplitude and phase. While mobile in motion both parameters will be constantly changing. Additionally, the main and sense antenna are usually placed more than 1/2 wavelength apart. So, this will not be effective for noise cancelling while in motion and might not be effective when parked.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 08:54:52 AM »

Dave is correct. You're much better off with a DSP speaker from one of the major suppliers.

I can't speak for Dave, but my home station experience wasn't very good either. The controls work as advertised, but they aren't something you can set and forget as you need to fiddle with them all too often.

KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:30:47 AM »

Alan you experience is similar to mine. I could null any one noise source but all the others - and there were many - remained. If one has one dominate noise source it could work well.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »

heh, if you think texting while driving is a major distraction, trying to work a noise null bridge like the 1025/1026 makes texting look safe.  switches and knobs and interactions, oh my.  switches and knobs and interactions, oh my.  swit --CRASH!!--
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 04:11:30 PM »

Suppose the noise antenna were placed under the hood? It would pick up minimum signal and maximum noise, which is exactly what the noise canceller needs to work well.

Having said that, I suppose any movement of the main antenna on the back bumper would affect the noise null.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 06:12:41 AM »

That's not such a bad idea really. Once upon a time, an optional noise blanker for the KWM2 used the vehicle's AM antenna to feed a signal to the noise gate. I have never used one, but folks who have said it worked well. It didn't require and fancy adjustments, which is a good thing for a mobile.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: